Jump to content

Grumping into the 20s


Recommended Posts

Has anyone else had their computer operating system changed to Microsoft edge, mine changed, unrequested on Monday morning, and has certainly pushed me to the edge, the edge of using a lump hammer. :fight::computer:  It's removed all files, photos and music and as I am not an administrator on the system I cannot change anything, now where's that bloody hammer.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Has anyone else had their computer operating system changed to Microsoft edge, mine changed, unrequested on Monday morning, and has certainly pushed me to the edge, the edge of using a lump hammer. :fight::computer:  It's removed all files, photos and music and as I am not an administrator on the system I cannot change anything, now where's that bloody hammer.

It was downloaded by Microsoft on my computer by stealth as they said it was a vital update, but to me Microsoft did this illegally and without proper consent. I still use IE11 on my desktop and when I check my Yahoo Mail it redirects me to the Edge browser as Yahoo Mail is no longer supports Internet Explorer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

It was downloaded by Microsoft on my computer by stealth as they said it was a vital update, but to me Microsoft did this illegally and without proper consent. I still use IE11 on my desktop and when I check my Yahoo Mail it redirects me to the Edge browser as Yahoo Mail is no longer supports Internet Explorer.

With me it's more like groundhog day, it takes 30+ minutes  to get onto the internet because it keeps reloading the system, then freezes up and starts over again on restart, it's a pure chance that I can get on to the site before it becomes unresponsive, AGAIN.  And yes, when I try to use Google chrome as my browser, it stops me so I have to use the edge browser, then it tries to put me through a tutorial on how it will enhance my work place, big brother does not begin to cover it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The new Microsoft Edge internet browser is built on Google Chrome. They are the same browser technology.

 

IE11 has been phased out - Websites sadly no longer support the technology that this browser was built on, and the version of Edge that shipped with Windows 10 kept getting blocked by google changing their background coding thus stopping their websites from working correctly with Microsoft browsers. 

 

MS therefore decided that it was better for them (sadly in some ways) to go with a competitors browser technology - however, Google have still played dirty at times, and changed background stuff to stop the "new" edge from working at times.

 

I have been using the new version of edge for some time, and have not had the issues that are mentioned above - infact I have never heard (and I am far from a novice, having built several PCs over the years, and built several office networks) of an update like this wiping files, photos, and music from a computer. The only instance that I personally know of that this could have happened, would be a system reset whereby Windows has been completely reinstalled from scratch and wiped the hard drive completely. Don't get me wrong, I have encountered problems with updates, but the update itself has never wiped specific files from my hard drives!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

but to me Microsoft did this illegally and without proper consent.

Grump: people who don't read End user license agreements.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Grump: people who don't read End user license agreements.

The last time I read the Microsoft EULA half of it was in French (and in CAPITALS). I stopped bothering after that....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there's your problem!

It clearly states your rights in section VI, paragraph 3, in Swahili.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, treker_ed said:

I have been using the new version of edge for some time, and have not had the issues that are mentioned above - infact I have never heard (and I am far from a novice, having built several PCs over the years, and built several office networks) of an update like this wiping files, photos, and music from a computer. The only instance that I personally know of that this could have happened, would be a system reset whereby Windows has been completely reinstalled from scratch and wiped the hard drive completely. Don't get me wrong, I have encountered problems with updates, but the update itself has never wiped specific files from my hard drives!

A new groundhog day, now edge, after spending 30 minutes "preparing windows" has come up with a new message that requires me to sign out of my old system so that edge can complete the install.  So I click the sign out button and the the computer reboots, another 30 minutes of swirly "preparing windows" and then it's back to the same message. :rant:

As I mentioned, when I checked, all my folders of music, photos and documents are now empty, but I am not a novice either, everything is backed up on a remote hard drive, it's just this system needs to be sorted out, and then it will no doubt upgrade and bring a new problem.  If only Tamiya made computers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

It's just this system needs to be sorted out

Your symptoms look like an already broken installation, trying to repair but failing every time.

I'd also assume that your user profile may have been corrupted at some point, and when that happens, you will see a 'clean' user profile - complete with pristine Desktop, Documents and such folders. 

 

Do check if you see a folder structure in C:\Users with <userID/name>.000 or 001 added. Chances are that is where data still resides, just not directly visible.

 

I would suggest taking it for a checkup hardware-wise. Perhaps the disk itself is slowly failing (bad blocks).
Rarely these days are your type of problems purely software related.
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

A new groundhog day, now edge, after spending 30 minutes "preparing windows" has come up with a new message that requires me to sign out of my old system so that edge can complete the install.  So I click the sign out button and the the computer reboots, another 30 minutes of swirly "preparing windows" and then it's back to the same message. :rant:

As I mentioned, when I checked, all my folders of music, photos and documents are now empty, but I am not a novice either, everything is backed up on a remote hard drive, it's just this system needs to be sorted out, and then it will no doubt upgrade and bring a new problem.  If only Tamiya made computers.

I would go to Control Panel, and set up a system restore for about a month ago. If that works, I would then disable updates. That way you can decide what and when gets installed

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I even have edge on my I-pad  and it works better than safari😀 who would have thought that!

Sorry to hear about your problems Ratch I hope you can sort it out but you allready had some good tips!
Sometimes things are going to  be messed up as I had last time with a newly installed Corel draw suite...
It would start up or reinstall at all.....

After three days of emailing and sorting stuff they simply advised me to do a clean install on my computer🤣

Funny people over there, eventually I sorted it out with the old windows installer help in wich you can repair paths for installing or uninstall...it did the trick...costed me an half hour😜 thank you Corel for helping me out!
 

cheers, Jan

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

I would suggest taking it for a checkup hardware-wise. Perhaps the disk itself is slowly failing (bad blocks).

I have just carried out a diagnostic check, disc is healthy with over 500 GB of free space.  I'm not that bothered about the system being installed, their claim of an exciting new on-line  experience cannot be ignored at my age. :winkgrin:  I just wish it would work properly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Sorry to hear about your problems Ratch I hope you can sort it out but you allready had some good tips!

Huh :shrug:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

their claim of an exciting new on-line  experience cannot be ignored at my age. :winkgrin:

Well, compared to the drama of having to use IE11 or 'legacy' Edge, the Edge Chromium version is three steps ahead. 
But what do I know, I'm just an IT dude :P

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2020 at 22:22, alt-92 said:

But what do I know, I'm just an IT dude :P

After limited success on the 19th of getting onto Britmodeller and being able to post, it all went downhill after that.  My computer would not connect to the internet again and by Friday morning it made some strange noises and died, just showing the blue screen of death on its last gasp of life.  So £500 later I'm back on line with a new Dell, and of course it has Microsoft Edge, good job it was pension pay day. :think:

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two ends of a spectrum. On the news yesterday, two young girls being interviewed in Croatia. They'd cut short their holiday so that they could get back to the UK before the 4am cut off this morning, so as not to have to quarantine because they are essential workers. The airline that was flying them charged them the princely sum of £400 for the pleasure. Don't you just love profiteering!!

 

John.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't seem that extortionate to me, as it presumably was either a specially-laid on flight or a standard schedule.  There's no god-given right to cheap flights.  Given that the banks will not have stopped demanding repayment on the loans to buy the airline's aircraft, and the amount of flying has dropped dramatically, anyone running an airline is not going to feel particularly charitable.  The rest is the economic system we live under.   However, I suggest that anyone taking an overseas holiday in a pandemic is being rather foolish anyway, and certainly should have been prepared for such an event.   To be brutally honest, anyone going abroad just now should self-quarantine anyway, but this would be too unpopular for the government to introduce. 

 

I trust their essential employment does not involve meeting the public.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 12:31 AM, Vince1159 said:

Good point,hasn't really made me feel better though except a good laugh....

You also do not have to get up at some silly hour of the morning, to visit aforementioned gym!

Double bonus.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Two ends of a spectrum. On the news yesterday, two young girls being interviewed in Croatia. They'd cut short their holiday so that they could get back to the UK before the 4am cut off this morning, so as not to have to quarantine because they are essential workers. The airline that was flying them charged them the princely sum of £400 for the pleasure. Don't you just love profiteering!!

 

John.

Someone's misfortune is someone else's business opportunity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I trust their essential employment does not involve meeting the public.

No just mere nurses who have spent the last 6 months, putting their lives on the line and just wanted a holiday after all of that. And then selflessly, ending their holiday early so that they would be able to get straight back to work on their return. And who says that the flights were specially laid on. It could have been seats available on a scheduled flight which before hand, had cost nowhere near that. BA did it a couple of weeks ago. A £63 flight from Paris to London suddenly went up to over £400 when the French quarantine came in.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Then they of all people should have known better.  A lot better.  Personally, I don't understand why it is considered necessary to have delays in these announcements: if an area isn't safe enough at 4pm then it wasn't safe enough at the previous midnight nor when the announcement was made.  But then, I don't believe it is safe at the moment to travel in a cramped tube for a couple of hours, breathing recycled air from all the other passengers.   If less than 2m distance is required unsafe in the open air, and buses are too dangerous for children to travel in to school, then airliners sure as blazes are too dodgy.  We could do with more consistency and a bit more backbone from this government.  Ah well, 60,000 down and still counting - some of them at least...  Not enough to solve the pensions or health care problems.

 

Economically, prices are not cost+ but based on demand.  This is the economic society we live in.  If you don't like it I'm sure there are revolutionary groups who would be glad of your support.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...