Grumping into the 20s

I've thought for some time now that the BBC does almost as much advertising ( for themselves ) as some of the commercial companies, and I find it irritating also.

John

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Sunday morning grumps!:

1. People who use the term 'what can I do to help you?'. In the first instance, this automatically shifts the burden of thinking through the problem to the party in need suggesting that it is their responsibility to provide the requestor with a solution that they can then apply in order to resolve the issue. I believe this originated from circumstances where the root-cause of a problem was more clearly defined and easier to understand and articulate by the party in need ('Help, I've been hit by a Rhino! and my body is all over the place', 'What can I do to help you?', 'Well, calling an ambulance would be a cracking start!') but has since become stock for dealing with everything including circumstances relating to conditions that the party in need are themselves only just learning about and thus have little or no expertise or guidance to offer. Other than perhaps suggesting that expecting 'them' to think up an easy solution under such circumstances is likely to make matters worse. Such an exchange is therefore, sadly, likely to be of more benefit to the party doing to asking especially if they were really not that inclined to make proper independent enquiry into what might help. It at least makes it appear that they have 'discharged their responsibilities'. 🦏😬😡:search:

2. People who use the term 'but I'm only trying to help!?!', usually after a response to the above that doesn't fit with their checklist. 'Hello, what can I do to help?'... 'I've just been savaged by a Tiger and I'm losing a lot of blood'... 'Ok, do you have a fever?'... 'Uh?!?'... 'OK, have you been to any of the following countries in the past 6 months?... 'Uh!?!?!?! Tiger! Blood! Ambulance!'... 'There's no need to be like that! I'm only trying to help!'. :sad:🤬

3. People who then get angry because they have been caught bang to rights against the above. :hmmm:

4. People who ask 'are you ok' to a person that has just fallen off their bike and been dragged through a field of broken rubble. "Hi, you seem to have suffered multiple lacerations there and unimaginable psychological trauma. Are you ok?'. :fraidnot:

5. People who ask 'how are you' without actually wanting the real answer. "Hi, how are you?" "I'm an absolute mess and drowning in tears, fear and my own lack of confidence". "Oh, right...". Can often precede the events at 1 and 2 above. :crying::sick:

6. People buying things from me (not an experience I've had on BM thankfully) who moan at me to provide combined postage and bulk store/ship their multiple purchases despite me informing them that I am an individual seller (not someone with their own international logistics company) and the shipping option is the easiest and safest (during these times) that I can manage which is why I don't offer such options automatically. Can also be found listed against those people who in the supermarket after filling a trolley with £250 worth of goods then get irate because the means to carry them from the store (carrier bag) cost 10p each. :wall:

7. Build choice exhaustion. Feels like being on one of those play ground roundabouts as a kid where no matter which choice you make its going to hurt. :banghead:

8. Insomnia. (No, not the track by Faithless). :sleep_1:

9. My neighbours for acquiring a Cockerel. 🐔

:angrysoapbox.sml:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
50 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

Sunday morning grumps!:

8. Insomnia. ( the track by Faithless). :sleep_1:

9. My neighbours for acquiring a Cockerel. 🐔

:angrysoapbox.sml:

You should hear the screams that come from my nextdoor neighbours pet Macaw in the morning. I'd wear earplugs, but it makes the tinnitus uncomfortable.

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

You should hear the screams that come from my nextdoor neighbours pet Macaw in the morning. I'd wear earplugs, but it makes the tinnitus uncomfortable.

I feel your pain buddy. I have tinnitus though relatively mild but with ASD I'm also hypersensitive to certain noise (some can be quite painful) so have to wear earplugs for sleep. I think the hardest thing to cope with is the sheer ignorance or even potential arrogance of people living around me. They bought their plot of land and the home its built on. They didn't buy exclusive rights to the air, sky and the sounds that they can facilitate that covers the miles around them. That's shared space and considerate behaviors apply. I do sometimes wonder if these are people who moved from a more built up area because they struggled to live in a place where considerate behaviors were required and think that the world is different for a small hamlet.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

'what can I do to help you?'.

"You getting lost would be a good start"....Usually reserved for pain in the neck shop assistants....

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

Sunday morning grumps!:

1. People who use the term 'what can I do to help you?'.

I used to work in a (mostly 1/43) model shop. Some of the customers would arrive and immediately go into "browsing" mode. After 15 minutes or so we would ask them "are you happy being ignored?" and offer them a cup of tea. It seemed to work...

What REALLY gets me is every time I go shopping and stack my purchases on the counter I get asked "is that all for today". What do I say? No, I'm going to buy lots more but just wanted to annoy you? I've got more in my jacket but was embarrassed to put it on the counter?

When I decide to exit a shop with my purchases, it's because I have finished shopping and want to pay.  Is their response an attempt to incriminate me if I have stuff that isn't declared? Do they want me to buy more? (It's not a startling sales pitch, is it?) WHY are they all trained to say this? Should I let them put it through the scanner and then say "you just reminded me , I need another 13 items" and b%gger off for 10 minutes.. I really don't understand.

• Haha 5

Had a brilliant response to one shop assistant in a department store. He said "Are you looking for anything in particular?"  I said  "Yes, I'm looking for my wife. Have you seen her?"

• Haha 7

Scottish Power. Actually after calming down it’s really quite funny they are so stupid. 

Act1 Scene 1

telephone to Scottish Power to ask about a new electricity supply to a new house yet to be built. Young lady asks for postcode. ?  It’s not built and does not have one. In desperation as she can’t process this info we give her the post code of the cottage that’s on site. She checks. Oh she says you already have finished the build and have a supply there ( yeah 1955). No it’s a completely new build and not started yet. We need to speak to who deals with arranging electricity to go to a house that’s under construction. That concept seemed to be something she hadn’t encountered before , bit like how to get power to the international space station. She would look into it and get back by email. Next day email saying no need for a supply as we already had one under account number 1212121etc. And quoted the one for the existing cottage. :wall:

Act 1 Scene 2 Changing supplier from Scottish Power.  We do the online change and then we start to get the texts and emails. “Welcome to Scottish Power and your new account Mr new customer” 

Then they block the transfer. Once that’s sorted - your have to be persistent you escape their clutches

Do they train “stupid” or is it natural ability/ selection at job interview ?

Act 1 Scene 3. Email arrives. “How likely are you to recommend Scottish Power?”  

• Haha 8
26 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

What REALLY gets me is every time I go shopping and stack my purchases on the counter I get asked "is that all for today". What do I say? No, I'm going to buy lots more but just wanted to annoy you? I've got more in my jacket but was embarrassed to put it on the counter?

When I decide to exit a shop with my purchases, it's because I have finished shopping and want to pay.  Is their response an attempt to incriminate me if I have stuff that isn't declared? Do they want me to buy more? (It's not a startling sales pitch, is it?) WHY are they all trained to say this? Should I let them put it through the scanner and then say "you just reminded me , I need another 13 items" and b%gger off for 10 minutes.. I really don't understand.

I get that with online support services and occasionally in retail stores. Again, it feels like someone is playing the 'idiot-side' of the broken customer service record they appear to have been given by an 'engagement consultant'. "Do you need help with anything else today?" "Thanks for asking! Some help paying my mortgage would be an absolute treat thanks!". "Did you find everything you needed on your shop today?" "Not quite - I couldn't find the interdimensional gateway that would allow me to escape from this hell". "Is that all for today?" "Oh no, I've only just started loading things on to your counter! Once I've transferred everything from your shelves and literally walled you in against your till, 'then' my work will be done and I will bid you farewell!" :D

• Haha 4

Absurdity squared!

Yesterday I placed a repeat order for 10 packing boxes to help with my stash clear-out. The last batch arrived in nothing more than a plastic mailing bag - all sensible, especially when being left outside.

Today, my new batch arrived. Sealed inside a plastic mailing bag but then... placed inside a 'massive' box, plus a load of unnecessary paper packing material. On the upside, should I feel inclined and able to offer combined postage and shipping at some point for a lot of items I have a really good box and packing to do so. On the downside, what utter nonsense!

And why is it that a fly is able to get into my place through a 1mm crack in the curtains but can't get back out again even when I remove an entire side of my house?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
3 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

And why is it that a fly is able to get into my place through a 1mm crack in the curtains but can't get back out again even when I remove an entire side of my house?

I find getting my teenage son to shower and remove underpants and socks off the bedroom floor into the washing machine usually helps with that

• Haha 3

Sunday grump.

More specifically, 7:am Sunday.

SLAM !

2 minutes later.

SLAM!

Another 2 minutes later...

SLAM!

etc

Finally at 7:20am words were exchanged with the neighbours son cheerfully packing his car that he should either learn to close doors quietly or park in front of his own b***y house instead of outside my window.

Why he couldn't have packed up the day before, or waited for a less antisocial hour I dont know.

But he won't be doing it again because my car is there now and won't be moving any time soon....

What is the current fad amongst postal workers, delivery drivers & shop workers for calling customers "mate" or by your first name as if you are a long lost friend!

It's something I personally detest and would never have dreamed of using in any customer facing role that I have been employed in!

Recently the DPD driver that seems to be dedicated to our area has delivered a number of parcels, several of which have been for Airfix. One of them was my Airfix Club package (which included the kit). On the day in question, both myself and my good wife were both upstairs working in our respective rooms - me in my study, SWMBO actually at work (she is working from home due to C-19 and her employer is in no rush to get them back to the office as they are working quite efficiently from home as a company!) Door bell & letter box went (another of my pet hates...) and less than 20 seconds later the wife got to the door only no one there. The driver had decided we had not been quick enough, and went down the car port. Next thing I knew, the parcel came flying over our 7 foot car port fence, onto a concrete path..... He was challenged about it, and went off on a frenzy of verbal abuse to us. Was reported to Airfix for the abuse, and the treatment of the parcel - he was representing their company at that point in time, and DPD have the contract to deliver their parcels! 

Fast forward several weeks and I have now placed my order for "free" flying hours kit. Same driver turns up, I answer the door - "here's your parcel John"..... Sorry I'm a customer not your friend, I don't know you please show some respect and do not use my first name. He then start off on a torrent of verbal abuse, swearing at me; telling me to "go away" and that I'm "(nasty swear word) gone in the head" and that I've "(nasty swear word) lost it". Now If he reacts like this, to a simple request, why is he driving? 

I was literally shaking I was that upset - My wife heard the tirade of abuse - she was listening in from our landing window upstairs above the front door. I actually do have something "wrong in the head" I have high Autistic traits, which means I have a neurological condition, so something very wrong in the head. However, this does not give the driver, or anyone in fact, to shout that sort of abuse to anyone else! A further formal complaint has been made. 

But at the end of the day, why use a customers first name without permission, show no respect to the customer, and treat them in such an appalling manner over such a simple request?

The same driver had a problem understanding the following delivery instruction - he got confused...

"Please DON'T ring the bell and knock at the same time. Use either doorbell or knock only. One household member has active autistic traits and too much noise can upset customer. Thank you"

(Our local postie has taken to calling people mate... Again, why? They are an employee of a company proving a service to us their customers. We are not their friends or pals or mates. I've never invited you out for a drink, or round for a BBQ so please stop calling me mate, I'm a customer, please deal with me accordingly and with respect)

8 hours ago, treker_ed said:

But at the end of the day, why use a customers first name without permission.

When I was stationed in Singapore, just about everyone there knew my name. Taxi drivers, pimps barmen, they all knew it. It was "Taxi John?" or "Nice girl John?" or "Jigajig John?" Swmbo was curious as to how they all knew me.

But as for the use of the word "mate", to me it's just a word. When I was working, I frequently used it as there was no way that I was going to use the term"Sir". I'd spent more than 5 years calling some over privileged half wits "Sir".

John.

• Haha 5

My postie calls me by my first name, in fact he calls me all sorts of things, and the neighbours, but he gets it all back tenfold. Far better than some of the semi trained apes that knock on the door. I expect he will be trying to wear the doorbell out in a couple of hours, 'cos he has a parcel for me.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

My postie calls me by my first name, in fact he calls me all sorts of things, and the neighbours, but he gets it all back tenfold. Far better than some of the semi trained apes that knock on the door. I expect he will be trying to wear the doorbell out in a couple of hours, 'cos he has a parcel for me.

I just wish my postie ring my doorbell when I'm at home instead of carding the article to my local Post Office for me to pick up instead, because I wasn't home when he called. I get repeat lazy postmen not willing to do their job properly all the time. It's useless complaining as the nothing ever improves :angry:

Our regular post lady is great. On a couple of occasions she has seen us out with the dogs and stopped to get a signature and arrange where to leave a package. Her holiday replacement not so I’m afraid, she doesn’t get out of the van but toots and waites about 30secs so if we are behind the house at the stables there isn’t enough time to get to her and we get a card to pick up the package, from the next day, at the local mini post office which is open ( if you’re lucky ) 3 mornings a week! This usually happens on a Friday of course so it’s usually another 4 or 5 days before it can be collected, so if it’s something important, i.e. modelling related it’s really frustrating.

John

• Like 2

I'm quite lucky with our posties. We have three that are regulars and they're friendly without being over familiar. They also know to drop parcels at my in-laws a few doors down if i'm not in. One of them is fond of moggies and will always give the local cat mafia a fuss when he see's them! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Bought the new release from the band The Hu, The Gereg that has an extra six tracks in addition to the original nine tracks. So I decide to import it to iTunes on the desktop and after ejecting the disc, iTunes have divided the album into four separate chapters with 7,4,2 and 1 tracks between the foursome. Frustrating.

I've found this to be a sure-fire way to deal with "helpful" shop assistants:

HSA: "Can I help you with anything?"

Me: "Yes, if you can just tell me what it was I came in to get ..."

• Haha 6

I usually ask for the winning lottery numbers!That stumps them,or ask for my money back on a lottery ticket that has not won anything.

• Like 2

Just been reading on the "news" about people having their UK holiday bookings cancelled at the last minute, "because the owners are only accepting longer bookings". Sounds an awful lot like Hoseasons have invented "holiday gazzumping".

Is there no limit to how low some people will stoop ?  Must be horrendous for the families involved .

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, IanHx said:

Is there no limit to how low some people will stoop ?  Must be horrendous for the families involved .

Just ask the airlines. Paris to London yesterday.....£100. Today.......£400. How to make money from people's misery!

John.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1