Less Than A Tenner GB Chat

PlaStix

On 5/21/2021 at 4:23 PM, klr said:

Anyway, I hadn't planned on building it for some time yet, so no worries either way.

I say go for it! 

Hello, I would like to build the Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup and I have a set of transfers for it. The boxing is the one where there was a picture of a built model on an engineering drawing background. I cannot recall how much I paid for it, but it was when Airfix did that controversial 'buy one get one free'** period in the 1980's, but I would be pretty sure it would not have been £5 then. I have just bought a transfer sheet for it for £5, so I am fairly certain that the total would be less than the tenner. Can you please confirm that it would be okay for this? There will be no extra aftermarket, any improvements will be scratchbuilt if I decide to, but there will be rigging which I already have.

Many thanks,

Ray

** they forgot to specify that the free one needed to be the same series or smaller!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray S said:

Hello, I would like to build the Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup and I have a set of transfers for it. The boxing is the one where there was a picture of a built model on an engineering drawing background. I cannot recall how much I paid for it, but it was when Airfix did that controversial 'buy one get one free'** period in the 1980's, but I would be pretty sure it would not have been £5 then. I have just bought a transfer sheet for it for £5, so I am fairly certain that the total would be less than the tenner. Can you please confirm that it would be okay for this? There will be no extra aftermarket, any improvements will be scratchbuilt if I decide to, but there will be rigging which I already have.

Many thanks,

Ray

** they forgot to specify that the free one needed to be the same series or smaller!

Hi Ray. If both the kit and transfer sheet are within the £10 then you are good to go!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ray. If both the kit and transfer sheet are within the £10 then you are good to go!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for that! I will start it very soon.

Ray

• Like 1

Was rummaging through my auto kits last night and noticed I have a Tamiya Porsche 959 that I picked up from a model show a couple years ago for $5 (still have the sticker on the side of the box).....so maybe I go that route.....not sure.  Been kinda itching to do another car though.

• Like 1

I have conducted myself rather poorly and omitted to introduce myself to the group build. For this I apologise. It's been a while and I'd forgotten the form.

Anyway, I would like to enter with my airfix 1/72 Feisler Storch from Amazon Warehouse if that's okay.

• Like 2

On 31/05/2021 at 08:05, Bodmin said:

I have conducted myself rather poorly and omitted to introduce myself to the group build. For this I apologise. It's been a while and I'd forgotten the form.

Anyway, I would like to enter with my airfix 1/72 Feisler Storch from Amazon Warehouse if that's okay.

No need to apologise and I'm l;ooking forward to following your build.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix,  Just on a whim I joined the Bf 109 STGB with a Tamiya Bf 109G-6 which got me thinking. (always dangerous) 

On going through the stash I found this golden oldie that I bought in the early 80s, I know it was that period because of the price sticker.  I was stationed at RAF Marham at the time and the Kings Lynn Model Centre was my LMS. (it was only a small shop)  Although the decals look clean and undamaged I have a large source of decals and Bf 109 spares in my man cave.

This kit rekindled lots of memories as it was the first 1/48th scale kit I ever built, back in the long hot summer of 1976.

I've entered it in the Bf 109 STGB but since it cost less than a tenner can I enter it here and join this GB as well?

IMG_1624

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Stix,  Just on a whim I joined the Bf 109 STGB with a Tamiya Bf 109G-6 which got me thinking. (always dangerous) 

On going through the stash I found this golden oldie that I bought in the early 80s, I know it was that period because of the price sticker.  I was stationed at RAF Marham at the time and the Kings Lynn Model Centre was my LMS. (it was only a small shop)  Although the decals look clean and undamaged I have a large source of decals and Bf 109 spares in my man cave.

This kit rekindled lots of memories as it was the first 1/48th scale kit I ever built, back in the long hot summer of 1976.

I've entered it in the Bf 109 STGB but since it cost less than a tenner can I enter it here and join this GB as well?

Hi Bob. I certainly have no problem with you building it in both GBs. Have you checked with the host - Col. if he is okay with it too? I'll include @Enzo Matrix here as well as he is overall in charge of the GBs. I think, as long as you include a WIP thread in each GB it should be okay........but lets give the final word to Enzo.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Hi all. I hope every one is keeping well and enjoying your cheap kits!! I am sorry I haven't been around much in the past week or so, but real life has been getting in the way A LOT!! I haven't done anything on my own LTAT builds in that time! It doesn't look like I'm going to get much time in the near future either. Oh well......musn't complain...........We already have 14 fantastic builds in the Gallery! And what an interesting range of models they are too!! This is one of the things I like about this type of GB - the wide range of kits that get built - many of which I haven't ever seen built before!! And we're only just into the fourth week of the GB!! I've taken part in GBs where nothing appears in the Gallery for a couple of months!! - @wimbledon99 had his first build in the Gallery in just one week!! Awesome!

Take care everyone and keep building those cheap kits!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Crikey! How did i miss this one!?!

Id love to sign up, have LOADS of sub £10 kits in the stash and this would be a good KUTA to get them completed!

Think il start with this little beauty:

51232861357_e8a6484fd0_z.jpg

• Like 3

Stix, if I manage to find time for a quick build in near future before my own host assignment begins next month, would an 8€ Academy P-51B/C kit with 1/12 of a 10£ Xtradecal sheet make the cut? I´m sorry I didn't browse through 17 pages of previous questions and answers but I noticed you don´t encourage using aftermarket... So what´s the ruling with canopy masks? I wish they'd be included in the "essential modelling stuff" like paints, adhesives and tools that are not calculated in the Max Tenner :whistle: V-P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Stix, if I manage to find time for a quick build in near future before my own host assignment begins next month, would an 8€ Academy P-51B/C kit with 1/12 of a 10£ Xtradecal sheet make the cut? I´m sorry I didn't browse through 17 pages of previous questions and answers but I noticed you don´t encourage using aftermarket... So what´s the ruling with canopy masks? I wish they'd be included in the "essential modelling stuff" like paints, adhesives and tools that are not calculated in the Max Tenner :whistle: V-P

Hi V-P. Yes that sounds fine. The aftermarket bit is really about discouraging modellers from building a cheap Airfix kit but adding, things like, loads of Eduard PE and resin bits and bobs! I look forward to following your 'quick' build. A few decals from a larger set and canopy masks are okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up, some beauties landing in the gallery. I've gone from a kit-buying frenzy to a modelling go-slow more or less overnight, I need a kick up the pants to get my little Warhawk finished!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, some amazing looking models since I checked in last! cant wait to see what else people produce. I've had yet another delay on my house move so sadly all my modeling kit is still locked away in boxes. Still got my fingers crossed that I'll be able to get the Mustang over the line before September 😁

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late to the party, hope I can still take part. I plan an Airfix 1/72nd Westland Scout AH1. Purchased way back in the late 1970's so definitely under/less than a Tenner.

Colin

• Like 1

23 hours ago, heloman1 said:

I'm late to the party, hope I can still take part. I plan an Airfix 1/72nd Westland Scout AH1. Purchased way back in the late 1970's so definitely under/less than a Tenner.

Colin

Hi Colin. Your Westland Scout sounds perfect for this GB! I'm looking forward to following your progress with it.

KInd regards,

Stix

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Colin. Your Westland Scout sounds perfect for this GB! I'm looking forward to following your progress with it.

KInd regards,

Stix

Thanks for the welcome, I've posted my opening pics.

Colin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

are fictional schemes ok?

Hi Stu. Yes of course. In this GB, it's all about building something cheap and fun. Fictional is fun!

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Stu. Yes of course. In this GB, it's all about building something cheap and fun. Fictional is fun!

Kind regards, 

Stix

Indeed, modelling is meant to be fun, it hasn’t been for the last couple of days. Cheers. 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2021 at 10:51, Retired Bob said:

IMG_1624

That's a brand I've never heard of before :)