Less Than A Tenner GB Chat

PlaStix

I see AM is not encouraged (I agree). Although I think this would be within the rules and spirit of thing, I wanted to check first:

Kit: ancient Airfix Avro 504 without decals: £1.5

AM decals: 1/3rd of Blue rider sheet: £1.5

Spare Roden engine not used in kit it came with (their Camel kits comes with 3 engines)let’s be generous and say £1.0

Total cost 4 British moneys.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ravnos said:

Great thanks, I'm still deciding what to build should have something in the next day or so, am I right in thinking that kits that cost exactly 10 quid are not allowed?

Hi Ravnos. You have been added to my list in the first post - and I think, for the sake of a penny - you are fine with a kit costing exactly a tenner.

Kind regards,

Stix

10 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

I see AM is not encouraged (I agree). Although I think this would be within the rules and spirit of thing, I wanted to check first:

Kit: ancient Airfix Avro 504 without decals: £1.5

AM decals: 1/3rd of Blue rider sheet: £1.5

Spare Roden engine not used in kit it came with (their Camel kits comes with 3 engines)let’s be generous and say £1.0

Total cost 4 British moneys.

Hi Torbjorn. That all sounds perfectly acceptable. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

I have a feeling a fair few boxes will have a Beatties or Modelzone price sticker on Modelzone in particular did some silly prices as they

were closing still kicking myself I wasn't tempted by the pile of Airfix Nimrods for a £19:99 or those 1/48 Canberra's for £9:99 in Newcastle,

I remember way back Pound stretcher in Sunderland had piles of 1/48 Esci kits after Esci went bust all for £1:99!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I have a feeling a fair few boxes will have a Beatties or Modelzone price sticker on Modelzone in particular did some silly prices as they

were closing

Very true. I got a few bargains, but not as many as I wished I'd got after they were closed down completely. Modelzone was around for a while in WH Smiths in Birmingham, after their main shops shut - I got the odd bargain from there before it disappeared completely.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ravnos. You have been added to my list in the first post - and I think, for the sake of a penny - you are fine with a kit costing exactly a tenner.

Kind regards,

Stix

Perfect thanks Stix, I've got one in the post that should arrive in the next day or two, I'll post a build thread when it shows up :)

• Like 1

On 09/05/2021 at 22:32, janneman36 said:

I am going to build a full resin example of the T-34C Turbomentor I once bought in the Aviationmegastore barnsale..

The kit itself was found obsoleted when the Specialhobby one appeared so I  bought this one for a whopping 5 euro’s!

It never had decals but thankfully I could source a set wich was more expensive than the kit😂

cheers, Jan

@PlaStix I was planning to build this 5 euro’s costing resin kit but I didn’t realize that the cost of the decals would put this build up to 11 pounds and a full 99 cents......but is there a leeway for cutting up the decalsheet for the four versions it contains😇

And otherwise I am going to build a Skyservant from the box....

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

@PlaStix I was planning to build this 5 euro’s costing resin kit but I didn’t realize that the cost of the decals would put this build up to 11 pounds and a full 99 cents......but is there a leeway for cutting up the decalsheet for the four versions it contains😇

cheers, Jan

4 kits out of one decal sheet, I'm very impressed  :thumbsup:

Now your next test to see if you are from Scotland or Yorkshire is to be able to peel an orange in your pocket !

Hopefully our host will give you the OK for your build Jan

Good luck mate

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hello @PlaStix Im sorry to say I will need to withdraw from the groupbuild. Unfortunately between family and Health issues I can no longer continue modeling at this time. I will visit as often to follow builds and finish up the ANZAC build I’m running. If anyone has questions they can D/M me for more details, I’d rather not openly discuss them.

Dennis

• Sad 13

I have a lot of irons in the GB fire right now, not sure I can handle them all. Buuuuuut that won't stop me trying.

I'll go with one of these ebay wins from last year.

Screen-Shot-2021-05-11-at-8.23.11-pm.png

Screen-Shot-2021-05-11-at-8.22.29-pm.png

Screen-Shot-2021-05-11-at-8.22.17-pm.png

Screen-Shot-2021-05-11-at-8.22.03-pm.png

That last one I should have bought when I lived in China - it was like three bucks there. 

Any preferences from the GB crowd?

the other thing I'd like to do is my HobbyBoss F-5 which cost the grand total of 21 yuan - $3.27 at today's rate and even less when I bought it. I got the BestFong ROC Yemeni F-5 decal set which was HK$45 - $5.79 - so unless my maths is worse than I thought, that just squeaks in under ten USD. 

If I can find it, I might do that one.

• Like 5

After checking my Ebay account it turns out I have more eligible builds for this than I thought! And I thought that Steve was the Ebay king! new to my list of possibilities are a HobbyBoss 1/48 Mirage IIIC (£4.99), ESCI 1/72 R4D-5 (£7.30), Airfix 1/72 Swordfish (£6.50), Zvezda Hind A (£9.49), Zvezda Ka-27 (£9.32) and an Xtradecal sheet for Jet Provosts (£3.56) to go with an Aldi special Airfix J.P. kit for £4.99 which is still under the threshold. Or there's the 1/48 HobbBoss RF-80 which was £10 from a show (remember them!), decisions, decisions!

• Like 2

So my entry arrived, a 1/48 ICM P-51K Mustang. Grabbed this for exactly £10 from Dave Coleys Emporium's "10 quid or less sale page". It came with another free set of their Pro Tech Tweezers and a free pen.

obb1QsQr61vQs8aKvd-hbSMeNDxKU9UqkGI3c0mz

krTrjVb.png

This should be fun as its the first 1/48 kit I've had, and the first time I've ventured outside of the Airfix/Revell bubble 😁 I'll start a build thread later when I've finished work.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

After checking my Ebay account it turns out I have more eligible builds for this than I thought! And I thought that Steve was the Ebay king! new to my list of possibilities are a HobbyBoss 1/48 Mirage IIIC (£4.99), ESCI 1/72 R4D-5 (£7.30), Airfix 1/72 Swordfish (£6.50), Zvezda Hind A (£9.49), Zvezda Ka-27 (£9.32) and an Xtradecal sheet for Jet Provosts (£3.56) to go with an Aldi special Airfix J.P. kit for £4.99 which is still under the threshold. Or there's the 1/48 HobbBoss RF-80 which was £10 from a show (remember them!), decisions, decisions!

The Mirage would be my pick.  But I may be a little biased having just procured a bunch of bits for a HAF M2000-5 conversion.  :whistle:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

This is actually quite a nice kit, it is "based" on the Tamiya 1/48 P-51. Just take a bit of time on the assembly as there aren't any locating pins, at least there weren't on mine.

After a quick scan over the parts it does look like its really nicely molded, not a lot of flash and the details are nice and sharp. Thanks for the tip on the locating pins, I hadn't noticed that!

• Like 2

On 10/05/2021 at 23:14, janneman36 said:

cheers, Jan

Hi Jan. Cutting the sheet into four sets should be okay! Looking forward to your build!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 11/05/2021 at 07:49, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @PlaStix Im sorry to say I will need to withdraw from the groupbuild. Unfortunately between family and Health issues I can no longer continue modeling at this time. I will visit as often to follow builds and finish up the ANZAC build I’m running. If anyone has questions they can D/M me for more details, I’d rather not openly discuss them.

Dennis

Hi Dennis. I am really sorry to read this news. You are one of our Britmodeller Group Build mainstays. Please look after yourself - health and family are more important.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I wonder if I could also take part? I know its getting a bit late...... I've got a number of current Airfix kits in my stash that I think would qualify: Hurricane Mk.I, Spitfire Mk.VC, Gladiator, Hawk 81A-2. Or I could cast around for something a bit more off the wall.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

I've mentioned in my thread but thought it polite to ask here too: I've got a couple of figures I want to do. Each was well under £10 BUT, they are designed to be displayed as part of a larger group and together they break the £10 limit. Do I leave them together as each model is related and under the limit or split them as the combined value is over? I'm happy either way, but I want to keep right.

Andy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi,

I wonder if I could also take part? I know its getting a bit late...... I've got a number of current Airfix kits in my stash that I think would qualify: Hurricane Mk.I, Spitfire Mk.VC, Gladiator, Hawk 81A-2. Or I could cast around for something a bit more off the wall.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark. You certainly can take part and I have added you to the list in my first post.

In fact anyone can take part right up until they have just enough time to complete a kit worth Less Than A Tenner - before the Gallery closes on Sunday 15th September!

Your list of kits, as long as they cost Less Than A Tenner, all sound suitable to me. It's up to you if you want to find something a bit more unusual. I do like the unusual kits we are seeing appear in this GB but you need to make a kit you know you will enjoy making.

2 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I've mentioned in my thread but thought it polite to ask here too: I've got a couple of figures I want to do. Each was well under £10 BUT, they are designed to be displayed as part of a larger group and together they break the £10 limit. Do I leave them together as each model is related and under the limit or split them as the combined value is over? I'm happy either way, but I want to keep right.

Andy

Hi Andy. To make it fair for everyone - my suggestion would be to have a separate thread for each individual figure. Then, when you come to put the finished builds in the Gallery, each figure can have an individual post, but, four of the pictures can be of the individual figure and the final one, in each separate Gallery post, can be one showing the figures together - so you get show off the overall project.

Hope that seems okay?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Andy. To make it fair for everyone - my suggestion would be to have a separate thread for each individual figure. Then, when you come to put the finished builds in the Gallery, each figure can have an individual post, but, four of the pictures can be of the individual figure and the final one, in each separate Gallery post, can be one showing the figures together - so you get show off the overall project.

Hope that seems okay?

Kind regards,

Stix

That sounds perfect, I'll amend my current thread and add a second now :)

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Mark. You certainly can take part and I have added you to the list in my first post.

In fact anyone can take part right up until they have just enough time to complete a kit worth Less Than A Tenner - before the Gallery closes on Sunday 15th September!

Your list of kits, as long as they cost Less Than A Tenner, all sound suitable to me. It's up to you if you want to find something a bit more unusual. I do like the unusual kits we are seeing appear in this GB but you need to make a kit you know you will enjoy making.

Hi Stix,

many thanks, that's great! As this is going to be my first GB, apart from the scope laid out on Page 1, is there anything I should be aware of? Wouldn't want to fall foul of any pitfalls! :D I'll continue to look for something a bit more unusual, but the beauty of the Airfix kits is that I might stand a chance of finishing....!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1