Less Than A Tenner GB Chat

PlaStix

@PlaStix Thanks for the reminder, good timing I was just looking my entries out,

spacer.png

The Spitfire was a bit of a late decision, I visited my first physical model shop in over a year, Monk Bar Models in York, to get some paint, saw this on the shelf and couldn't resist.

• Like 2

resized_2585f118-236d-4787-bdd1-03abd715

resized_5611d404-4108-4b72-9a22-a4d3ba89Spoiled for choice. I’ll build at least one of the Albatri and some of the little jets, just not sure which ones. But I need to get the Flivver, the Gee Bee and the Skyhawk done this week ( shouldn’t be that difficult) and I do have rather a lot of 1/72 me109s pencilled in for the summer.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

Hi all. Thank you for all your replies. Looks like we are going to have a great range of models being built! :thumbsup:

I ended up getting my two kits washed this morning....they're now drying in the kitchen. Also took some photos of the sprues which I will post in the two threads.

.....only 6 days to go!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

• PlaStix changed the title to Less Than A Tenner 2 - 15th May 2021 to 5th September 2021 - LESS THAN ONE WEEK TO GO!!
On 5/8/2021 at 3:08 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

Got an open Desert Storm and Africa GB to finish this month, Unarmed underway and pledges for T6 and non-injection.

So of course today I started a Panzer III GB build 😏

Embrace the madness! 🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I've only just started my build for the Unarmed GB as well as having a couple of GB s going on elsewhere but I do have some candidates lined up for this one. Hopefully I can get a couple of builds from the other GBs finished before this one starts.   

• Like 1

I have been waiting for this GB, am sure that I have a few kits hiding in the stash which would qualify (and be fun to build).

Just a question; several of the old kits that I would like to build have very poor decals and the effort in building and painting them would be negated by the very poor quality of those decals. I do have a decals spares box so can I use some decals from that box eg national insignia, air force titles, generic stuff like that to give a better presentation? Would the 20% spares box apply here too?

Thanks

Michael

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, Jb65rams said:

I was just looking my entries out,

What's that funny looking thing top right?

I am going to build a full resin example of the T-34C Turbomentor I once bought in the Aviationmegastore barnsale..

The kit itself was found obsoleted when the Specialhobby one appeared so I  bought this one for a whopping 5 euro’s!

It never had decals but thankfully I could source a set wich was more expensive than the kit😂

51169506005_a4b4de2146_b.jpg

51167743002_8c4d928141_b.jpg

51169195114_889b6c01b6_b.jpg

51167743002_8c4d928141_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 1:26 PM, helios16v said:

Spreadsheets.... :penguin:

They are the answer to all your problems.  :wicked:

I started keeping a Google sheet of all my kits, but when I got to 300 airframes I stopped. 😳

• Haha 1

Had the kit ready for this, not the best example of the type so seemed perfect fodder but I’d used the decals on another build and spares box decals didn’t have any that cost less than the leftover change. However I know of one kit I want to build but haven’t had a suitable GB for it. Purchased around Xmas 2018. My question I know I paid less than a tenner for it but the price sticker has long since gone, do I need to go back through my bank statements to prove it? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

I have been waiting for this GB, am sure that I have a few kits hiding in the stash which would qualify (and be fun to build).

Just a question; several of the old kits that I would like to build have very poor decals and the effort in building and painting them would be negated by the very poor quality of those decals. I do have a decals spares box so can I use some decals from that box eg national insignia, air force titles, generic stuff like that to give a better presentation? Would the 20% spares box apply here too?

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael. Decals from the spares box are fine. The 20% won't apply for decals if they are genuinely from the spares box. It's unlikely that most builds could be made up of 20% of decals anyway. 

Kind regards,

Stix

6 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Had the kit ready for this, not the best example of the type so seemed perfect fodder but I’d used the decals on another build and spares box decals didn’t have any that cost less than the leftover change. However I know of one kit I want to build but haven’t had a suitable GB for it. Purchased around Xmas 2018. My question I know I paid less than a tenner for it but the price sticker has long since gone, do I need to go back through my bank statements to prove it? 

Hi Stu. No that's fine.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brad said:

So silly question time; but if a kit cost exactly $10, it's out because it must be less than 10, or do we include $10 buys?

It's actually 10 GBP.....so whatever the $AUS converts too.  That'll get you a bit of leeway. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Brad said:

So silly question time; but if a kit cost exactly $10, it's out because it must be less than 10, or do we include $10 buys?

Hi Brad. $10 is fine - plus, with ever changing exchange rates, I think your $10 is currently the same as £7.11. So you could look at current kits up to about $14.

If I'm wrong about this - my excuse is it's early in the morning here in the UK and I have a headache!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edit - sorry I'm on my phone and was thinking US dollars.

Currently £10 = $17.90 in Australia. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ravnos said:

Hi @PlaStix
Is it too late to sign up for this one?

Not at all. Welcome to the GB. I will add you to the list in a bit.

Kind regards, 

Stix

Oh ok, sounds good. I'm already doing my GB but I always game to enter another. I just picked up a 1/48 Apache and and Tamiya A-10 for $10 each at a swap meet, so I might come in here.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Not at all. Welcome to the GB. I will add you to the list in a bit.

Kind regards, 

Stix

Great thanks, I'm still deciding what to build should have something in the next day or so, am I right in thinking that kits that cost exactly 10 quid are not allowed?

• Like 1