Less Than A Tenner GB Chat

PlaStix

On 02/04/2020 at 20:23, Threadbear said:

a bit late in the day but Id like to join? 

Great @Threadbear so that's 4 builds we have got you in for ! :wicked:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Always knew this one would make it 😁

I'm going to throw my hat in with a charity shop buy of the Tamiya 1/12 Katana. I gave them a tenner for it a couple of years ago and it's been sitting there patiently waiting for a reason to be built 😁

Ian 

• Like 2

Got my eye on a Smer "Hi Tech" boxing of the Heller Tempest. Does the tenner include postage and estimated value of paint, adhesive and filler used? 🤔😁

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Paul821 said:

I am about to send off some Airfix Flying hours, as the postage is under a tenner would a higher series model come in as under a tenner? It would be as valid as a charity  shop purchase

Hi Paul. I think it should be okay, maybe. It's a bit of a gray area. The idea of the GB is to make cheaper kits that are actually worth less than £10 or something that costs a little bit more but that was purchased in a sale or a long while ago for less than £10 at the time. If you haven't got a kit that actually cost less than tenner then I suppose it's okay but, if we do have enough entries for there to be a poll at the end, to make it fair to kits actually less than a tenner, we may have to have a seperate catagory for BIGGER bargains!

Kind regards,

Stix

23 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

I've these three to go at,the Hobbyboss F 84 is £6.25 on the Creative website.I paid £21 for three of the Scots Greys in one box,that makes one of them £7.The one in the bag will be revealed at the start of the GB but Big H has one listed at £9.98.

442d568c-dca3-4373-89ad-9d7ca3a9d163.JPG

Looking forward to this one,it's going to be a good giggle.

Hi Alex. Hope you and yours are well.

I was so delighted when I saw your planned builds for this GB!! - Especially the old Airfix box for the Scots Greys! I have really fond memories of the original Less Than A Tenner GB, partly because of the wide variety of kits that were built - especially the older more unusual ones. I thoroughly enjoyed your Airfix Kingfisher build - it was one of the stand-out projects from the GB! If other modellers haven't ever seen it - please check out the WIP here:

A sample of Alex's finished photos:

AirfixKingfisher106_zps831bded8.jpg

Can't wait to see your builds in progress next year.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'll be building a Hobby Boss F-5E in 1/72.  £7.33 from that nice Mr Kingkit.    However, there are plenty of other things in The Stash which qualify. 

Hi Enzo. Hope you are well. Thank you for all your hard work with the poll and I'm looking forward to seeing your F-5E in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

17 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

My last order of Eastern Express kits from China had a declared value of $10... so how many 144th scale airliners am I allowed to enter?

🤔😉

Hi Tim. You can build as many kits as you like - as long as each, individually, cost less than a tenner (or the eqivalent thereof!).

Kind regards,

Stix

6 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Always knew this one would make it 😁

I'm going to throw my hat in with a charity shop buy of the Tamiya 1/12 Katana. I gave them a tenner for it a couple of years ago and it's been sitting there patiently waiting for a reason to be built 😁

Ian 

Hi Ian. I'm looking forward to following your build of your 1/12 Katana! 

Kind regards,

Stix

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Got my eye on a Smer "Hi Tech" boxing of the Heller Tempest. Does the tenner include postage and estimated value of paint, adhesive and filler used? 🤔😁

Hi Tony! LOL!! No! It's just the cost of the actual kit that has got to be less than £10. You can use as much glue, filler and paint as you like!! I built an Italeri 1/72 Spitfire in the last LTAT GB - and the cost in filler alone would have probably stopped me from being able to take part!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

I hope not otherwise I've only got 2p left for thtosr items, that'll teach me to read the rules 🙄

Hi!! You are okay - please see my reply to Tony above!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Tony! LOL!! No! It's just the cost of the actual kit that has got to be less than £10. You can use as much glue, filler and paint as you like!! I built an Italeri 1/72 Spitfire in the last LTAT GB - and the cost in filler alone would have probably stopped me from being able to take part!!

I can relate to that. I'm trying to go OOB, no aftermarket at all and bring the whole thing in under ten quid, which means the kit decals will have to be decent. The PE that comes with these Hi Tech kits is a bit of a bonus.

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts old fruit.Horace and Basil are doing a tour of duty at school at the moment,as are the Churchill and Zero,they are just waiting for me to finish the woodwork on their display box.I've tried to find some bits that are not quite run of the mill,the mystery bagful will nicely fulfil that endeavour.This is looking like a good fun and varied GB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Kind regards,

Stix

What about aftermarket decals?

2 hours ago, Threadbear said:

What about aftermarket decals?

You can use them as long as - either they don't take the overall cost of the project over the £10 or if they really are left overs from the spares box - same with other aftermarket items such as PE. As I said before - the spirit of the GB is to build something cheap, plus enjoy the build and the company of other modellers building cheap kits.  The previous Less Than a Tenner GB was primarily just OOB builds and loads of fun!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 02/12/2020 at 22:51, Giorgio N said:

Thinking of joining this one. No lack of suitable kits but considering the spirit of the GB my best option is probably one of the Hobbyboss easy kits: they generally sell for £ 6-7 and I paid mine even less... 

Hi Giorgio. Hope you do decide to to take part. Hobbyboss easy kits make up into rather fine looking models.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 12/12/2020 at 01:12, wimbledon99 said:

Just remembered I have an Airfix 1:72 Typhoon that I bought here on BM for a tenner but it included postage (approx. £4) so I do believe that's my entry. Happy Days!!

Hi Nigel. Gotta love a 1/72nd Airfix Typhoon! Lovely little kit! Looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ned said:

I'd like to join this. Not a clue what I'll build, but I'll start searching...

Hi Ned. Welcome on board. You are on the list at number 70!! And you have plenty of time to find something suitable to build.

Kind regards,

Stix