Less Than A Tenner GB Chat

PlaStix

On 12/02/2020 at 20:06, PlaStix said:

The basic idea is that any kit can be built in the GB as long as it cost you less than £10.00 - or the equivalent thereof in the currency of the country you live or lived in - to purchase.

From the very first posting, in the middle of the spiel

• Thanks 1

On 22/02/2020 at 15:19, nimrod54 said:

Please add me to the list Stix. My candidate is this Jet Provost T.4 starter set purchased from Lidl just before Christmas for the princely sum of £4.99.

by John L, on Flickr

Hi John and great to have you here! Fine choice of subject too and going to Lidl before Christmas to look for these kit bargains is becoming an annual tradition these days!

On 22/02/2020 at 17:13, janneman36 said:

I would love to join in👍🏼 still got a nice Bristol F2b from Eduard in 1/48 that I bought for 10 euro’s
Cheers, Jan

That's great news Jan! If we get this GB through the vote i will look forward to seeing you Bristol F2b in progress!

On 23/02/2020 at 17:25, Yetifan said:

Hi Stix, been offline for a while but count me in for this. I have some cool old Matchbox kits that need to be built, I’m assuming I could do three in one go if they all added up to less than a tenner 🙂

Hi Yetifan and great to have you back then!! You could build them all as one project but it wouldn't matter if you built them individually - as long as the kit costs less than £10 it is allowed in this GB. You could, for example, build several kits that cost £9.99. There's no limit on the number of builds as long as each individual kit cost less than a tenner. If you check out the last time this GB ran (link in my first post in this thread) you'll see several modellers built many kits during the GB. @Speedman built so many I gave up counting after the second page!!!

On 24/02/2020 at 09:03, John D.C. Masters said:

I think I am #43...has anyone mentioned currency exchanges or are we going by Sterling?  

Hi John and welcome! Great to have you here. In fact you are number 46 on the list!! If you check out my first post in this thread - at the start of the third paragraph I stated: The basic idea is that any kit can be built in the GB as long as it cost you less than £10.00 - or the equivalent thereof in the currency of the country you live or lived in - to purchase. It's okay to work it out at what the exchange rate was at the time of purchase too - not just the rate now!

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I did ask but never got an answer ? 

How dare you sir!! Did you ever check? I think not - but it turns out you did!!!* If you check out post  #24 on February 13th - here - you will see my reply to your question!

*You even 'liked' my reply! :winkgrin:

And I did make reference to this issue in my first post.

Only 4 more and we've got 50 signups already!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

How dare you sir!! Did you ever check? I think not - but it turns out you did!!!* If you check out post  #24 on February 13th - here - you will see my reply to your question!

*You even 'liked' my reply! :winkgrin:

My bad Stix ... I had forgotten between the flu and losing my dog yesterday it had completely disappeared from my head. Please forgive me. 

Dennis

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My bad Stix ... I had forgotten between the flu and losing my dog yesterday it had completely disappeared from my head. Please forgive me. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis. Not a problem at all. Just thought it was funny that you had actually 'liked' the reply you thought you hadn't received.

Sorry you are having such a rough time of it at the moment and that life's stresses give you a break for a bit.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Hi all. Can I tempt anyone else to sign up for a cheap and fun GB?

We've got 46 modellers signed up in just over two weeks - which is fantastic - but there’s plenty of room for many more!

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the invite. I don't get on the forum much these days unfortunately. Mostly down to no pc to upload pictures from. 

For this reason I won't be entering but I'll defiantly swing by to offer moral support. 

The last less than a tenner GB that I ran was a great success. In fact it was one of the largest attended group builds in forum history up till that point. 

• Like 3

Hi all. I'm really sorry for the really slow reply. What with everything that's happening right now I have found it really hard to find time to be on Britmodeller.

On 10/03/2020 at 16:16, Hewy said:

Yes stix , I'm up for it, 👍

That's great news Glynn! Glad to have you on board.

On 10/03/2020 at 20:19, snapper_city said:

Thanks for the invite. I don't get on the forum much these days unfortunately. Mostly down to no pc to upload pictures from. 

For this reason I won't be entering but I'll defiantly swing by to offer moral support. 

The last less than a tenner GB that I ran was a great success. In fact it was one of the largest attended group builds in forum history up till that point. 

Hi snapper_city. It really was a great GB you ran back then - it was the GB that got me into GBs!

On 10/03/2020 at 20:34, peterairfix said:

Can you count me in as I have quite a few I could build.

Fantastic to have you along for this GB Peter!

On 14/03/2020 at 09:41, Torbjorn said:

I came to check the schedule but ended up signing up for more. Less than a tenner means most of my stock, so I’m signing up :)

Hi Torbjorn. I'm really pleased you decided to join up for this GB!

On 16/03/2020 at 18:25, Hockeyboy76 said:

Sign me up @PlaStix, I can send Mrs H off again to the LMS and a£10. 

Cant believe @nimrod54 didn’t “voluntold” me in on this earlier 

Hi HB. Great to have you signed up for this GB.

On 16/03/2020 at 20:53, moviedrone said:

I think I'm in.

That's great news moviedrone!

Well we now have 51 members signed up.! Which is brilliant! Anyone else interested?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

a bit late in the day but Id like to join? 

• Like 1

Hi Grahame and you can certainly join. Hopefully this will get through the vote (bunfight) at the end of the year and then we can be building all our cheaper kits sometime next year!

Thank you. You are on the list at number 52.

Kind regards,

Stix

PS - 52 on the list in post 1! Thank you to everyone who has signed up already! :thumbsup:

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, peterairfix said:

Sign me up I got a few I can do.

Hi Peter. Lovely to have your interest for the second time! You are already on the list at number 48!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I was just thinking....with the current exchange rate for the Aussie $, a Tenner must be worth oh at least $1000 Aussie dollars now.....so us lot downunder can basically build whatever we want....many times!  :D

• Like 1

I have a question for this GB @PlaStix. How are parts from the infamous "spare box" treated. I.e. I have some decals left from a previous build, as there where several markings in the box. may I use them or will this count as cross-subsidising? Same goes for payloads, aux. equipment figures etc.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2020 at 07:27, Adrian Hills said:

I’m up for it. Subject to be announced closer to the time 😊

Hi Adrian. I am really sorry for the slow reply! Been very odd times just recently. You are added to the list in the first post and don't forget to vote for this GB later in the year!! Should be fun!!

On 26/04/2020 at 12:31, Marcin Kaminski said:

I have a question for this GB @PlaStix. How are parts from the infamous "spare box" treated. I.e. I have some decals left from a previous build, as there where several markings in the box. may I use them or will this count as cross-subsidising? Same goes for payloads, aux. equipment figures etc.

Hi Marcin. Mmmmm….. tricky one. It depends on how fair people are with this. If it turns out it's mostly a spares box project with these spare parts being worth a huge amount of money, with a small, cheap, bit of a kit in there somewhere, then it's a no. If it's a cheap kit anyway - say £7.99 and a few decals and a couple of bombs/rockets come from the spares box - then that's fine. The basic point of the GB is to make something really cheap. If the project becomes worth double the tenner as a result of using spares, then that's not in the spirit of the GB. Hope you have a kit you can join us with?

Kind regards,

Stix