Less Than A Tenner GB Chat

PlaStix

Back in 2014 I took part in my first Group Build on Britmodeller and I still remember what a fun and supportive experience it was. It was, as you've probably guessed from the title above, the 'Less Than A Tenner' GB. The original GB can be found here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/462-less-than-a-tenner-group-build/

I have thought about suggesting this GB for a while but I felt there needed to be a significant gap between the first and next version of this GB. If this gets through the bunfight - at the end of the year - the gap will be seven years which, I think, should be enough.

The basic idea is that any kit can be built in the GB as long as it cost you less than £10.00 - or the equivalent thereof in the currency of the country you live or lived in - to purchase. This will hopefully mean we get a wide variety of Out Of Box (OOB) builds made without the need to use any aftermarket items.

The kits built can currently cost less than £10 (or equivalent) to buy or you can build something that cost you less than £10 back in, say, 1970. If you have the receipt still or the price sticker is still on the box then that is even better but not a necessity for taking part. However, it would be useful if you purchased the item in a sale, at a real knock down price, if you did have the receipt or the sale/reduced sticker is still in place.

In the spirit of the previous GB it will be expected that people are honest about how much they paid for the kit. Someone suggesting a 1/32nd Tamiya Spitfire cost them £4.50 back in 2008 will be looked upon as going against the spirit of the idea of this GB.

This type of GB probably won't appeal to everyone but should give most of us a chance to hunt through to the back of the stash to find something we thought we wouldn't make for a while, if at all.

We'll need 30 people signed up before the bunfight at the end of the year.

Kind regards,

Stix

The list:

1. PlaStix (host)

2. Jb65rams

3. Black Knight 

4. vppelt68

5. PLC1966

6. Arniec 

7. Ted

8. Corsairfoxfouruncle

9. CliffB

10. MarkSH

11. Adam Poultney

12. klr

13. Erwin

14. helios16v

15. Ozzy

16. Wez

17. Badger

18. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

19. NorwegianWood
20. theplasticsurgeon

21. JOCKNEY

22. stevej60

23. srkirad

24. moaning dolphin

25. Robert Stuart

26. Redstaff

27. Alex Gordon

28. AdrianMF

29. Albeback52

30.  Tomjw - we have 30! 

31. Graham77

32. Smudge

33. MPaul

34. Valkyrie 

35. Bengalensis

36. Natter

37. modelling minion

38. Tim R-T-C

39. Doug Rogers
40. Misterfriend

41. stevehed

42. HoolioPaulio

43. nimrod54

44. janneman36

45. Yetifan

46. John D.C. Masters

47. Hewy

48. peterairfix

49. Torbjorn

50. Hockeyboy76

51. moviedrone

52. Threadbear

53. Adrian Hills

54. reini

55. Marcin Kaminski

56. Grufsnik

57. Marklo

58. TonyW

59. wimbledon99

60. zebra

61. almac

62. Lost Cosmonauts

63. stevehnz

64. halfwit

65. TimJ

66. moviedrone

67. bianfuxia

68. JeroenS

69. TonyOD

70. Ned

71. Richard Tucker

72. Ray S

73. jackroadkill

74. Mjwomack

75. tangarine_sedge

76. rob Lyttle

77. GrahamCC

78. Beermonster1958

79. Six97s

80. Tomjw

81. fmichelsen

82. Muchmirth

83. Ravnos

84. 2996 Victor

85. Could be you?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

Sign me up, I completed two builds in the original, both subjects I don't usually build.

Great stuff. Great to have you taking part! You are on the list!

Who is going to be in at number 3?

Kind regards,

Stix 

21 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

me,  me,  me

I think I got one kit done in Round 1,

I must try harder

Hi Black Knight. Welcome. Great to have you on board as well! Aim for two then this time at least!..........hangon.......I'm starting to sound like someone! :wicked:

:evil_laugh:

You are on the list at number 3.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Less than a tenner is back, and so am I

EDIT: Actually I'm not "back"; I browsed through the original GB threads and much to my surprise, I had skipped that one in 2014. No intensions to repeat the mistake!

EDIT 2: I have an 8€ Academy P-51B/C that fits nicely here. Actually, I have two of them :coolio:.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Less than a tenner is back, and so am I

Hi V-P and welcome back!! Fantastic to have you along for the possible ride again!

You are in at number 4.

Who will be number 5?

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Thanks 1

Hi PLC1966 and welcome along. Great to have you here. You are now indeed number 5.

Who will be number 6.............. or not a number......but a free man!

We went to visit Portmeirion last year, as it happens.......fascinating place.

Not got sidetracked there at all! 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arniec said:

I am interested in this GB. I have got a few Matchbox kits lying around that costed me less then a tenner.

Cheers,

Good evening Arnold. Great to see you here and I look forward to, hopefully, seeing your Matchbox kits in progress!

7 minutes ago, Ted said:

Love it. Years ago our model club had a similar group build. I'm in.

Hi Ted. Brilliant to see you here too. I'm pleased it seems like the idea might be popular like last time. You  are on the list at number 7.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Now this seems like a real gem of a group build, count me in! We including shipping cost in the price? 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/aircraft/sort-by/price/sort-direction/asc.html?

Airfix have a few good kits in the less than a tenner category

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

Sign me up. Thankfully, I've recorded the price of every kit I've bought going back to 1990, and probably before that. My oldest unbuilt kits are from 1988. I very much doubt anything in the stash from the late 1980s cost that much.

However, I'd like to keep to what I see as the spirit of the GB, which is "it was cheap". STG£10 back in the day was a lot more money in real terms, and would have bought a lot of kit - especially as kit prices over the years have risen much higher than the general rate of inflation. YMMV on this point of course.

In the last few years, I've managed to buy a lot of kits for STG£10 (say 12 Euro) or less, mostly second hand. I don't see why second-hand kits shouldn't be allowed. Also, I have consciously decided to buy more smaller kits, and fewer "heroic" kits. Taking these two factors into account (and despite the ever-rising prices of new kits), the average price of any kit I've bought in the last few years has been less than STG£10. Five years ago, I would not have thought that possible.

So I will have literally hundreds of kits to choose from, of which I'll build just a couple. A good problem to have ...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

🙋🏻‍♂️ ... Im in ... does this need be a new kit thats under $10 ? Or can it be something from a swap-meet that originally went for more but you bought for less than 10 ? Either way Im sure i can find something ? 

Dennis

That's great news Dennis. Glad to have you on board.

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

does this need be a new kit thats under $10 ?

No it doesn't. As I mentioned above - it could be something you purchased in, say, the 1990s for less than the equivalent of £10 at that time (but I'm afraid I don't know what the exchange rate would have been at the time). From the previous GB I think the idea is that although the actual value of the £10 has dropped - the actual kit from that time, in most cases, won't be of the same quality as most current ones (I do know there will be exceptions). The general idea is that, as long as you purchased it for less than £10, it's in. But as I said we will have to rely on the honesty of the participants - although most of us will know the sort of value of kits from various periods.

Swap meet swaps, or purchases from swap meets, might be more difficult to make decisions about. The spirit of the GB is to build something that is smaller and cheaper - hopefully to perhaps encourage someone into taking part in a Group Build who might be put off by us all building our latest £70 Meng purchase with about a £100 worth of photoectch and resin afetrmarket items. At a swap meet someone may be prepared to part with something that has a value of, say, £40 - for less than a tenner because it's to someone they know or they just want to get rid of it. In this latter case the kit is really way outside the spirit of this GB idea.

I tried looking in my stash yesterday to look for reduced stickers but the only one I found early on was for a 1/72nd Dragon T-34, which I bought a couple of years ago from Parabellum in Birmingham. The original price was £9.50 but it was on sale for £7.25. An absolute bargain for the rather nice kit, with PE, in the box. That reduction - to me - would be a sort of acceptable one. It's not drastically reduced but the overall kit, anyway, is in the right price range. In some shops and stores online it currently sells in the £11 region - so it's not an expensive kit to start with.

Swaps and similar things would get us into the problem area of - "I didn't pay anything for my Dragon Panther and PE set....it was a gift!......or....I won it in a competition!.....etc....." The idea of this GB is that the value of the kit is roughly less than a tenner. 

Hopefully you will be able to find something suitable.

6 hours ago, CliffB said:

Yes please Stix.

Cheers

Great to have you on board Cliff :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Yes please, several candidates picked up along the way mostly spur of the moment stuff...so thanks for the opportunity Stix.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark and you are more than welcome - fantastic to have you here.

6 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Now this seems like a real gem of a group build, count me in! We including shipping cost in the price? 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/aircraft/sort-by/price/sort-direction/asc.html?

Airfix have a few good kits in the less than a tenner category

Nope - just the price of the kit itself. And thank you for signing up!

6 hours ago, klr said:

Sign me up. Thankfully, I've recorded the price of every kit I've bought going back to 1990, and probably before that. My oldest unbuilt kits are from 1988. I very much doubt anything in the stash from the late 1980s cost that much.

However, I'd like to keep to what I see as the spirit of the GB, which is "it was cheap". STG£10 back in the day was a lot more money in real terms, and would have bought a lot of kit - especially as kit prices over the years have risen much higher than the general rate of inflation. YMMV on this point of course.

In the last few years, I've managed to buy a lot of kits for STG£10 (say 12 Euro) or less, mostly second hand. I don't see why second-hand kits shouldn't be allowed. Also, I have consciously decided to buy more smaller kits, and fewer "heroic" kits. Taking these two factors into account (and despite the ever-rising prices of new kits), the average price of any kit I've bought in the last few years has been less than STG£10. Five years ago, I would not have thought that possible.

So I will have literally hundreds of kits to choose from, of which I'll build just a couple. A good problem to have ...

Hi klr and thank you for your thoughts. I have added you to the list. I look forward to seeing what you do decide to build if this GB gets the go-ahead next year.

....and WOW....we've already got 12 signups in less than a day!

Kind regards,

Stix 

Edited by PlaStix
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Stix... Im good with just buying an Airfix basic kit they go for $9.99 at the local hobby lobby. I can usually find P-40’s and P-51’s in 1/72nd and many more in 1/144 from minicraft and hobbyboss. I really just wanted a little clarafication, as i thought the swap meet thing might be iffy. Now does it have to be 10£ as this gives Americans a slight advantage. That adds a couple of more dollars to the purchasing power. Not to mention we also don't have VAT here, so our taxes aren't as wallet hungry.  Shouldn't it just be a tenner in whatever your local currency is ? 

• Like 2

All the old 1/32 nd Revell and Hasegawa kits I buy at conventions  cost about 10 to 15 Euro's .

Some are missing the decals.

I recently bought a factory sealed 1/32 nd Revell Mosquito for 10 Euro's.

Hasegawa Me 109E and Zero for 10 Euro's each.(bad decals)

So count me in.

The "bad decals" brings me to a question.

Buying new decals for an old kit will add to the cost.

How will this be approved ?

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

I'm down for this.  I like cheap!  I'll have to dig through the stash to see if I have anything I purchased new that fits the price point.  I'm always checking in on SprueBros for sales & clearances...so I might actually have something.

Worst case, I know I've got a couple older kits that I got from a model show for $5 because they are the less desirable version & the kit decals were either missing or crap.  I've got an old Hasegawa (raised panel line) F-4J that fits the latter description.

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks Stix... Im good with just buying an Airfix basic kit they go for $9.99 at the local hobby lobby. I can usually find P-40’s and P-51’s in 1/72nd and many more in 1/144 from minicraft and hobbyboss. I really just wanted a little clarafication, as i thought the swap meet thing might be iffy. Now does it have to be 10£ as this gives Americans a slight advantage. That adds a couple of more dollars to the purchasing power. Not to mention we also don't have VAT here, so our taxes aren't as wallet hungry.  Shouldn't it just be a tenner in whatever your local currency is ? 

No problem Dennis. At the moment - with the current conversion rate - in America - your new kit must cost less than $13. Or thereabouts. 

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

All the old 1/32 nd Revell and Hasegawa kits I buy at conventions  cost about 10 to 15 Euro's .

Some are missing the decals.

I recently bought a factory sealed 1/32 nd Revell Mosquito for 10 Euro's.

Hasegawa Me 109E and Zero for 10 Euro's each.(bad decals)

So count me in.

The "bad decals" brings me to a question.

Buying new decals for an old kit will add to the cost.

How will this be approved ?

Sounds like you are able to pick up some real bargains Erwin. Your problem may be the new decals. If replacement decals take the cost of your project (price of kit plus decals) above the equivalent of £10 then it won't be eligible for this GB. I will add you to the list and you'll have to have a think. Thank you very much for your interest though.

10 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I'm down for this.  I like cheap!  I'll have to dig through the stash to see if I have anything I purchased new that fits the price point.  I know I've got a couple older kits that I got from a model show for $5 because they are the less desirable version & the kit decals were either missing or crap.  Got an old Hasegawa (raised panel line) F-4J that fits the latter description.

Great to have you on board and if the GB gets the go ahead for next year I'll look forward to seeing what you decide to build.

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sign me up Stix.

I certainly will Ozzy. Great to have your interest in this GB.

1 minute ago, Wez said:

I'm sure I could find something to fit the bill Stix, sign me up.

That sounds great Wez. Thank you very much for signing up! 

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 2

Just realised we're already past the halfway mark of sign-ups to get this GB to the bunfight in less than a day! Thank you all for your interest! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2