Less Than A Tenner GB Chat

PlaStix

16 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Marcin. Mmmmm….. tricky one. It depends on how fair people are with this. If it turns out it's mostly a spares box project with these spare parts being worth a huge amount of money, with a small, cheap, bit of a kit in there somewhere, then it's a no. If it's a cheap kit anyway - say £7.99 and a few decals and a couple of bombs/rockets come from the spares box - then that's fine. The basic point of the GB is to make something really cheap. If the project becomes worth double the tenner as a result of using spares, then that's not in the spirit of the GB. Hope you have a kit you can join us with?

Kind rI egards,

Stix

No worries Stix, I have a suitable kit. I will provide the exact details after the bunfight so I can take into account all the other GB scheduled for 2021 ;)

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 07:27, reini said:

How about kits that been received as a gift?

In any case, I would like to join :)

Hi reini. The idea of the GB is to build something from the cheaper end of the kit range - preferably costing less than £10. So if the gift was a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire then it obviously isn't in the spirit of what this GB is about. Even if is a gift then it should be from the cheaper end of the market. I hope that makes sense.

I added you to the list. Welcome on board!

On 06/05/2020 at 08:46, Marcin Kaminski said:

No worries Stix, I have a suitable kit. I will provide the exact details after the bunfight so I can take into account all the other GB scheduled for 2021 ;)

Great news about the suitable kit. I have added you to the list! Welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

I would like to join in if possible, OOB building is my norm so will fit in nicely, a good few possibilities to pick from as well. 

• Like 1

Now asking this in the right thread and not in a completely different thread on a completely different subject...:whistle:

@PlaStix can I have a bit of clarification on the use of aftermarket decals please?  I have plenty of kits that come in under a tenner but I generally prefer to use aftermarket decals as it allows me to build something other than what's in the kit.

If I've got a kit that cost me £8 and I use a small portion (e.g. the markings for one of several options on the sheet), of an aftermarket decal sheet that cost me £5, the whole ensemble comes in at under a tenner, is that OK?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/05/2020 at 23:37, grufsnik said:

I would like to join in if possible, OOB building is my norm so will fit in nicely, a good few possibilities to pick from as well. 

Hi grufsnik. I am sorry for the slow reply but a belated welcome on board. Please remember to vote for this GB in the 'bunfight' towards the end of the year. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone has in mind for their 'less than a tenner' kits!

On 10/05/2020 at 08:25, Wez said:

Now asking this in the right thread and not in a completely different thread on a completely different subject...:whistle:

@PlaStix can I have a bit of clarification on the use of aftermarket decals please?  I have plenty of kits that come in under a tenner but I generally prefer to use aftermarket decals as it allows me to build something other than what's in the kit.

If I've got a kit that cost me £8 and I use a small portion (e.g. the markings for one of several options on the sheet), of an aftermarket decal sheet that cost me £5, the whole ensemble comes in at under a tenner, is that OK?

Hi Wez. Sorry for the slow reply - been a bit all over the place recently!

Yes that all sounds perfectly acceptable! 

Anybody interested in some cheap fun!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I’m in. I can choose from pretty much anything in the stash!

Regards,

Adrian

Umm, you already were in other Adrian 😁

I was once given a 1/48 FW Condor for looking after a friend’s model shop. Free is less than a tenner isn’t it 😊

• Haha 1

On 21/06/2020 at 13:56, AdrianMF said:

Regards,

Adrian

Yes you are Adrian!!!

On 21/06/2020 at 15:18, Marklo said:

I have a couple of Glencoe albatross DIII’s I think I actually bought two for less than a tenner. Will be an excuse to add a DIII to go with my DII ( which is in advanced wip)

Hi Marklo and welcome on board. I have added you to the list in post 1.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 21/06/2020 at 15:34, Adrian Hills said:

On 21/06/2020 at 13:56, AdrianMF said:

Regards,

Adrian

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Yes you are Adrian!!!

Sorry guys! I’m just irredeemably cheap and very excited...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m in. I had been thinking I didn’t have anything for this one, but yesterday I bought a Monogram 1/48 F-80 for $6 (that’s £3.21 at yesterday’s exchange rate) so there’s still room in the budget for some decals. So bring it on!

• Like 2

I’m in for this one. I have so many to chose from I won’t know which one (or two) to pick. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

On 21/06/2020 at 15:34, Adrian Hills said:

I was once given a 1/48 FW Condor for looking after a friend’s model shop. Free is less than a tenner isn’t it 😊

I thought you were saving that one for the next Blitzbuild GB  😉

• Haha 2

Why not? By the time its voted on & comes around, I'll have forgotten enough to get into a rare old flap but yes, I've several kits that will fill the bill on this. $NZ20.00 is near enough to £10.00, right. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi @TonyW @wimbledon99 @zebra @almac @LostCosmonauts and @stevehnz. I am sorry it's taken a while for me to get back to you but thank you very much for signing up for this possible GB. I have added you all to the list in my first post. We now have 63 modellers signed up - which is awesome!

Don't forget to look out for the bunfight later this year and make sure this is one of your choices!

Anyone else interested in looking cheap?! 😉

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2020 at 18:34, LostCosmonauts said:

I wonder if there is scope for a “Silk purse out of a sow’s ear” GB for kits (possibly Starfix’s entire range are eligible) which are widely recognised to be an absolute dog’s dinner

Too frightened to take it out of the box GB ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1