Less Than A Tenner GB Chat

PlaStix

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

....which cost me £6.99 from the now permanently closed Geoff’s Toys in Loughborough:

Was that the one by the Ramada?

That was a great toy / model shop, we had one in Tamworth as well, always popped in when down town and always came out with a bargain :) 

Hope my kits in the loft still have price tags on :)

Ian

• Like 1

As a 1/144 modeller, most of my kits cost less than £10...  Could sometimes get three or more planes for that price!

My last build was a £3 King Cobra, with decals stolen from a £2.50 kit with a figure from a £4 pack of figures.

I would certainly take part in this one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Was that the one by the Ramada?

That was a great toy / model shop, we had one in Tamworth as well, always popped in when down town and always came out with a bargain :) 

Hope my kits in the loft still have price tags on :)

Ian

Hi Ian. Yes that was the one. It was a real shame it closed. I work in Loughborough and it was a good place to pop into for the odd kit - but also great for brushes, glue, paint, etc.

It's not a problem if your kits don't have the price tags still on - unless you are trying to pass off your 1/32 Tamiya kit as one you got for under a tenner!

4 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

As a 1/144 modeller, most of my kits cost less than £10...  Could sometimes get three or more planes for that price!

My last build was a £3 King Cobra, with decals stolen from a £2.50 kit with a figure from a £4 pack of figures.

I would certainly take part in this one.

Hi Tim and thank you for your interest - great to have you here. Good point about smaller scale kits! If this GB gets into the calendar for next year I will be very interested in what you decide to build.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

It's not a problem if your kits don't have the price tags still on - unless you are trying to pass off your 1/32 Tamiya kit as one you got for under a tenner!

Would I ;) 

I know I've got various small 1/72 stuff that's eligible definitely, but I know I got an Airfix Short Stirling in the early '90s and I'm hoping that still has a tag on it as I reckon that would have been around a tenner way back then 🤔

Not eligible for this GB but I know I've got a 1/48 Tamiya Lanc from the mid '80s with a tag on of £17 odd

Ian :) 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 7:55 AM, PlaStix said:

:rofl2:Great to have you here Valkyrie. With Mrs PlaStix it tends to be plants rather than shoes but Mrs P also enjoys building kits sometimes and so is aware of how much I spend!

Unfortunately it's mostly miss with me. We don't have a car either so we don't get chance to go to car boot sales either. Nevermind - there's the odd bargain to be had online sometimes - with careful watching. It sounds like you do really well! 

Kind regards,

Stix

Just luck. In a large city like Edinburgh we have a lot of charity shops. As I'm currently unemployed, every little helps! 😊

Allan

• Like 1

but I know I got an Airfix Short Stirling in the early '90s and I'm hoping that still has a tag on it as I reckon that would have been around a tenner way back then 🤔

Hi Ian. The Sterling would be a great build for this GB if it was less than a tenner! 🤞

Not eligible for this GB but I know I've got a 1/48 Tamiya Lanc from the mid '80s with a tag on of £17 odd

Shame it's beyond the limits of this GB but it'll be great to see it being built at some point.

1 hour ago, Doug Rogers said:

Count me in, still got some of those 1:1 bird kits to be made.

Hi Doug. Thank you for your interest and great to have you on board again. As I said above - it was the wide variety of kits as well as the supportive and fun atmosphere that made such a memorable GB. The Airfix birds (and others) were very much a part of what made it a bit different from most GBs.

If we get this GB through the bunfight poll at the end of the year I'm looking forward to see what kits we have chosen to build.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 7:00 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Alex. Yeah I was surprised! :fight: ........

You are on the list at 27.

Your Kingfisher build is one of those builds that I still remember as being something different and fascinating at the time. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to build if this GB gets into next year’s calendar.

Oddly enough I was looking through that thread a few days ago,it was fun to do.Horace and Basil are currently doing a stint in the Art Department at School.

Just digging through the stash has revealed a handful of eligible goodies and a few Hobbyboss Easykits.Nothing too exotic though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Would I ;) 

I know I've got various small 1/72 stuff that's eligible definitely, but I know I got an Airfix Short Stirling in the early '90s and I'm hoping that still has a tag on it as I reckon that would have been around a tenner way back then 🤔

For what it's worth, I bought the Airfix Stirling in 1993 for IR £9, which would probably have been no more than STG £8 at the time.

Around that time, I also bought a lot of Heller kits for IR £2 each, many of which I still have the stash.

• Like 2

Hi @klr

That's great thank you :) 

Hopefully there will be a price tag on it still when I get in the loft and that will confirm it

I know the smaller Airfix kits were around 4 to 5 GBP then, so the Stirling would have been 9 ish in my reckoning

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 3:27 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi K. That's a shame. There is still at least another year until this GB might hopefully happen. If your situation is going to be the same even then - what about getting hold of a Starter Kit which comes with glue, paintbrush and paints? 

I did one in a hotel a few years back and used a Superdrug nailclipper which came with a nail file. The clipper bit was okay for cutting the bits off the sprues and the file was okay, if a bit rough, for cleaning up. Didn't result in a fantastic finish but it was good fun!

Kind regards,

Stix

Ahhh hadn’t realized it was quite so far off, but I might just do that starter kit trick - thanks for the idea 😊.

K

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 4:33 AM, PlaStix said:

@JOCKNEY had the idea of tagging in @Speedman to let him know about this proposed GB idea. I thought that was good idea as there was a lot people taking part last time who might enjoy another similar GB.

So I will tag everyone who took part last time and who hasn't signed up yet - to see if you are interested in having some fun building a cheap kit. Please let me know if you are interested by replying below.

@Jherek @hgbn @Filler @Bristolhibby @Wolwe82 @Deacon @AndyC @sdk_uk @paganpete @MPaul @Stew Dapple @rkennerley @Alex Gordon @Stu_davros @Natter @Enzo Matrix @Dazzio @Bengalensis @AdrianMF @Hardtarget @Smudge @Tomjw @Jockster @snapper_city @Caerbannog @Hammasphee @Doug Rogers @moaning dolphin @mackem01 @Graham77 @DaveJL @Misterfriend @zero @EricP @Derbyeomanry @Albeback52 @bobster @Commontsar @wellsprop @ancient mariner @mungo1974 @Hotel Papa @The dragonborn @gorilla @Icarus @Severus @atvd1020 @topgear29 @Step @shelfspace @Swamp Donkey @Rickpadwick1801 @kwaterous @thepureness @Atom.uk @dazdot @georgeusa @Prenton @richellis @Robert Stuart @techniquest @stevehed @Radleigh

Kind regards,

Stix

Count me in! I fancy something cheap and cheerful!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

Oddly enough I was looking through that thread a few days ago,it was fun to do.Horace and Basil are currently doing a stint in the Art Department at School.

Just digging through the stash has revealed a handful of eligible goodies and a few Hobbyboss Easykits.Nothing too exotic though.

I'm glad Horace and Basil are still around and are living at school! Good to know you've got some possible kits already if we get this GB into next year's calendar.

13 hours ago, Misterfriend said:

Count me in! I fancy something cheap and cheerful!

Hi Misterfriend. Thank you very much for you interest in this GB. You are on the list at number 40.

40 signups in just over a week! I have to say I'm amazed! I decided to start this thread for this GB early in the year because I thought I'd probably need 10 months or so to get thirty signups to get it into the poll! Who knew?!

Please let me know if you are also interested in taking part in this GB. The more the merrier!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Under £10?  This sounds right up my street, count me in :) I have the smallest stash around (judging by what I see others posting on here), so I'll just trawl Ebay for a bargain, and if all else fails my LHS sells the 1/72 Airfix planes for £7.50 or less and always has plenty in.

• Like 1

Also, might be a daft question this. I know kit + extra/replacement decals + PE/resin upgrades must be less than £10 in total per kit, but where do we stand on paint? Say I buy a kit for £9.99, then need to buy a new paint colour for it, is than an issue? Or is paint considered a generic consumable? 

• Like 1

Bought once a stack of 10 Heller Warning stars in the nineties for ten Dutch guilders ..when the Exchange rate was 5 dutch guilders for 1 Pound sterling...🤪 Those where the days..

I had some matchbox Privateers as well for that price..

cheers, Jan 

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:20, stevehed said:

Me too. Like Adrian I've got plenty of choice.

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve. Great to have you signed up for this GB. I look forward to seeing what, from your stash, you might build if the GB goes ahead next year.

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 21:27, HoolioPaulio said:

Under £10?  This sounds right up my street, count me in :) I have the smallest stash around (judging by what I see others posting on here), so I'll just trawl Ebay for a bargain, and if all else fails my LHS sells the 1/72 Airfix planes for £7.50 or less and always has plenty in.

Hi HP and thank you too for signing up - great to have you here.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 11:00, HoolioPaulio said:

Also, might be a daft question this. I know kit + extra/replacement decals + PE/resin upgrades must be less than £10 in total per kit, but where do we stand on paint? Say I buy a kit for £9.99, then need to buy a new paint colour for it, is than an issue? Or is paint considered a generic consumable? 

No daft questions here...…….no - paints, glues, brushes, filler, etc., do not count as part of the less than a tenner. The only things that have to cost less than the £10 are the price of the kit plus , if you need to use them, any extras (decals, PE, etc.).

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 11:50, janneman36 said:

Bought once a stack of 10 Heller Warning stars in the nineties for ten Dutch guilders ..when the Exchange rate was 5 dutch guilders for 1 Pound sterling...🤪 Those where the days..

I had some matchbox Privateers as well for that price..

cheers, Jan 

Hi Jan. Yeah there used to be some bargains to be had back in the day. Occasionally now there are the odd one or two bargains, if you know where to look, but most people are aware of what things are worth when they sell them.

Can I just check though?...……...are you interested in taking part in this GB if it gets through the vote at the end of the year?

10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I know its still Feb but let Enzo know this has reached over 30 so he can log it in for the November voting

Hi Black Knight. No need......Eagle Eyed (TM Action Man!) @Enzo Matrix spotted that we'd reached the magic 30 signups here.

We are on next year's list for the bunfight here.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Steve. Great to have you signed up for this GB. I look forward to seeing what, from your stash, you might build if the GB goes ahead next year.

Hi HP and thank you too for signing up - great to have you here.

No daft questions here...…….no - paints, glues, brushes, filler, etc., do not count as part of the less than a tenner. The only things that have to cost less than the £10 are the price of the kit plus , if you need to use them, any extras (decals, PE, etc.).

Hi Jan. Yeah there used to be some bargains to be had back in the day. Occasionally now there are the odd one or two bargains, if you know where to look, but most people are aware of what things are worth when they sell them.

Can I just check though?...……...are you interested in taking part in this GB if it gets through the vote at the end of the year?

Hi Black Knight. No need......Eagle Eyed (TM Action Man!) @Enzo Matrix spotted that we'd reached the magic 30 signups here.

We are on next year's list for the bunfight here.

Kind regards,

Stix

I would love to join in👍🏼 still got a nice Bristol F2b from Eduard in 1/48 that I bought for 10 euro’s

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Hi Stix, been offline for a while but count me in for this. I have some cool old Matchbox kits that need to be built, I’m assuming I could do three in one go if they all added up to less than a tenner 🙂

Under a tenner build

Under a tenner build

• Like 3
  • Haha 2