Less Than A Tenner GB Chat

PlaStix

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

What a cracking idea :) 

Put me down for a spot please

I must have something somewhere in the stash from years ago

Ian :) 

Hi Ian. Great to have you signed up! You are on the list at number 26.

2 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

Is my arm supposed to go this far up my back?

Go on then,count me in.

Hi Alex. Yeah I was surprised! :fight: ........

You are on the list at 27.

Your Kingfisher build is one of those builds that I still remember as being something different and fascinating at the time. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to build if this GB gets into next year’s calendar.

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I'm in. I'll have a look at my stash and carefully select .... - wait, that's most of them!

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian and I'm really pleased you have signed up! Yeah I have quite a few suitable candidates in my stash.

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Yes. You can count me in.I picked up an Airfix B-24 and Catalina for £9 each in a local charity shop. Most recent boxing too!😊

Probably do the B-24

Allan

Hi Allen. Great to have you signed up as well! Yeah charity shops can be a great source of cheaper kits............except when I go into one!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Yeah, go on. Count me in

Tom

Fantastic Tom!!!!..........you are our magic number 30 signup that gets us into the bunfight at the end of the year! If there was a prize for being number 30 it would be on the way to you right now! But unfortunately there isn't one so it it isn't. It would have been good though I'm sure!

1 hour ago, Graham77 said:

I’ll have a go, my little ones are getting into building aswell so we may do one each and start attacking the stash!

Hi Graham - that's great news! A family entry would be most welcome for this GB! Hopefully we'll get into next year’s calendar during the bunfight at the end of the year so we can encourage some new modellers in this fantastic hobby!

17 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Into the bunfight it goes!

Hi Enzo. Thank you very much!! You are a star! :thumbsup: 

Will you be joining us in our cheapness?

Well as Enzo has mentioned above - we are into the bunfight at the end of the year! Thank you to everyone who has signed up so quickly!! 31 signups in less than a week is brilliant! Please let me know if you would like to take part by replying below. The more the merrier for this GB!!

If anyone has ideas for what they might build - please do let us know. It's always interesting to see different things people think they might build. If you check out the last 'Less than a tenner' GB section from 2014 you'll see there really was a lot of builds from quite a variety of kits.

Thank you all again!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ian. Great to have you signed up! You are on the list at number 26.

Hi Alex. Yeah I was surprised! :fight: ........

You are on the list at 27.

Your Kingfisher build is one of those builds that I still remember as being something different and fascinating at the time. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to build if this GB gets into next year’s calendar.

Hi Adrian and I'm really pleased you have signed up! Yeah I have quite a few suitable candidates in my stash.

Hi Allen. Great to have you signed up as well! Yeah charity shops can be a great source of cheaper kits............except when I go into one!

Kind regards,

Stix

Can be a bit hit or miss.

There are several along a bus route I regularly travel in Edinburgh. I usually stop off at one or two . Among other delights I've netted have been the Heller E-2C Hawkeye (ex Fujimi I think) and, Airfix B-29.

Car boot sales can be worth a look as well. My star find at a local sale was a complete  Italeri "Project Aurora" kit.😊

Allan

• Like 1

Yes, the original GB back in 2014 was fantastic and brought forward so much fun. OK, I'm in.

I still have some Airfix 1:1 scale birds to do. Or maybe the Heller 1/150 Gorch Fock, bought at a model show a few years ago, unloved in a heavily squashed sad box with a cracked hull, all for the hefty sum of £2 in the closing hour. Would even spare me a few £ for better rigging thread...

GorchFock.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

Yes, the original GB back in 2014 was fantastic and brought forward so much fun. OK, I'm in.

I still have some Airfix 1:1 scale birds to do. Or maybe the Heller 1/150 Gorch Fock, bought at a model show a few years ago, unloved in a heavily squashed sad box with a cracked hull, all for the hefty sum of £2 in the closing hour. Would even spare me a few £ for better rigging thread...

GorchFock.jpg

£2? Even with a cracked hull (easily repaired I'm sure), that's not a bargain, it's daylight robbery, regardless of when it was bought.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you to keep it well protected from feline attention. In the eternal battle of Cats vs Kits, there has only ever been one winner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mmmm...  I think about 90% of my stash cost under a tenner, for a significant number that includes the evilbay postage.  In for a penny - or up to nine hundred and ninety-nine of them.  Add me to the list then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Fantastic Tom!!!!..........you are our magic number 30 signup that gets us into the bunfight at the end of the year! If there was a prize for being number 30 it would be on the way to you right now! But unfortunately there isn't one so it it isn't. It would have been good though I'm sure!

😂🤣😂 The prize will be to motivate myself to choose from one or more of the 'bargains' (dross) that I've picked up at shows over the years and then got home and wondered why.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PlaStix said:

So I will tag everyone who took part last time and who hasn't signed up yet - to see if you are interested in having some fun building a cheap kit. Please let me know if you are interested by replying below.

Kind regards,

Stix

I’ll be relegated to lurking this time around sadly - the stash (and the several qualifying builds in it) are 3000km away for the foreseeable future. 

Best of luck to all, and I’ll be sure to pay attention to the space once this one gets going. 

Cheers,

k

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Smudge said:

Yes. Thoroughly enjoyed the last one, I'm in.

That's great Smudge and hopefully this one will be just as much fun!! Thank you for signing up. 

12 hours ago, MPaul said:

Yeah I would be up for this. Any idea when this is likely to run. 

Hi MPaul, great to have you signed up as well. As to when it will be will depend on it getting through the bunfight poll at the end of the year. If it gets into next year's calendar it will will depend on the slots available from Enzo and then how quickly I get chane to pick one. I'm thinking middle of 2021 at the moment - I'm already hosting a STGB from February for 3 months.

Kind regards,

Stix 

12 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Me too...though I tell the wife all the kits I buy are under a tenner, she does the same with pairs of shoes

:rofl2:Great to have you here Valkyrie. With Mrs PlaStix it tends to be plants rather than shoes but Mrs P also enjoys building kits sometimes and so is aware of how much I spend!

11 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Can be a bit hit or miss.

There are several along a bus route I regularly travel in Edinburgh. I usually stop off at one or two . Among other delights I've netted have been the Heller E-2C Hawkeye (ex Fujimi I think) and, Airfix B-29.

Car boot sales can be worth a look as well. My star find at a local sale was a complete  Italeri "Project Aurora" kit.😊

Allan

Unfortunately it's mostly miss with me. We don't have a car either so we don't get chance to go to car boot sales either. Nevermind - there's the odd bargain to be had online sometimes - with careful watching. It sounds like you do really well! 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Hi Bengalensis. Great to have you back on board. I think having the Airfix animal/bird range being built last time really added another dimension to the GB. Hopefully we'll get a similar wide range of kits being built in this one if it gets through the bunfight.

9 hours ago, Natter said:

Mmmm...  I think about 90% of my stash cost under a tenner, for a significant number that includes the evilbay postage.  In for a penny - or up to nine hundred and ninety-nine of them.  Add me to the list then.

:rofl:Great stuff!! Sounds like we can look forward to a few from you then Natter!! :thumbsup:

Thank you both for signing up. 

Kind regards,

Stix

9 hours ago, Tomjw said:

😂🤣😂 The prize will be to motivate myself to choose from one or more of the 'bargains' (dross) that I've picked up at shows over the years and then got home and wondered why.

I think I suffer from the same thing Tom! If I've paid to travel to and enter the show - surely it makes financial sense to go back home having bought something......anything!! Like you, this GB could be a good opportunity to make some of mine!

3 hours ago, kwaterous said:

I’ll be relegated to lurking this time around sadly - the stash (and the several qualifying builds in it) are 3000km away for the foreseeable future. 

Best of luck to all, and I’ll be sure to pay attention to the space once this one gets going. 

Cheers,

k

Hi K. That's a shame. There is still at least another year until this GB might hopefully happen. If your situation is going to be the same even then - what about getting hold of a Starter Kit which comes with glue, paintbrush and paints? 

I did one in a hotel a few years back and used a Superdrug nailclipper which came with a nail file. The clipper bit was okay for cutting the bits off the sprues and the file was okay, if a bit rough, for cleaning up. Didn't result in a fantastic finish but it was good fun!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

You can add my name to the list Stix, nearly everything in my stash cost £10 or less, at least as far as SWMBO is aware :) .

I do actually have quite a few to choose from that make the grade, a fair few courtesy of recent Aldi Christmas sales. Does the cost cover just the kit or any extras such as decals that are purchased separately?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

nearly everything in my stash cost £10 or less, at least as far as SWMBO is aware :) .

:rofl:

Unfortunately Mrs PlaStix knows how much I waste spend on kits....plus she doesn’t really mind and even has some of her own!

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

You can add my name to the list Stix,.

I do actually have quite a few to choose from that make the grade, a fair few courtesy of recent Aldi Christmas sales. Does the cost cover just the kit or any extras such as decals that are purchased separately?

Hi Craig and it's great to know you are interested in being part of this GB. Thank you for signing up and you are added to the list.

With regards the cost - following the rules from the previous version of this GB - the cost of the build must not be more than £10 or the equivalent thereof. So price of the kit + price of the extras = < £10 (or equivalent in other countries.)

Hope that's okay? The idea of the GB is to build something cheap - hopefully to encourage people to take part in a GB who might normally be put off by all the expensive kits and extras we make!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hope that's okay? The idea of the GB is to build something cheap - hopefully to encourage people to take part in a GB who might normally be put off by all the expensive kits and extras we make!

That is absolutely fine with me mate, I just wanted to make sure. I still have plenty in the stash that fits the criteria, at least a couple of which I got decals for freely from other BM'ers. I can also see myself scouring the beneath tables sales even more closely at model shows :) .

• Like 1

I've just had a quick look through the outskirts of the stash and managed to find the following suitable candidates, so far, for this GB:

49553482891_7b8c2b621b_b.jpg

....which cost me £6.99 from the now permanently closed Geoff’s Toys in Loughborough:

49553724092_93a94529a2_b.jpg

This one from Parabellum in Birmingham:

49553724052_51785fa871_b.jpg

........which was quite a bargain!:

49553724027_2cc490c0ed_b.jpg

This one was from Poynton's market stall in Derby:

49552988438_a0bd0a4b8f_b.jpg

I'm not sure where these were from - possibly the now closed Ian Allen shop in Birmingham or Parabellum:

49553482591_e4a86ae697_b.jpg

49553723862_92caa2e194_b.jpg

49553723757_1dae13d66f_b.jpg

When I get chance I will have a further look through the stash to see if there are more suitable kits.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Just recently I was sorting through my unfinished builds on my MU shelves and I found that I've never completed two kits from Round 1!

M'bee I'll get them done afore this one comes up

Ooh that's handy - could you perhaps build them and post some progress photos here to inspire us ready for the next version of this GB?.......if it gets through the bunfight at the end of the year of course.

Kind regards,

Stix