Less Than A Tenner GB Chat

PlaStix

On 2/5/2021 at 7:05 PM, Marklo said:

50172945583_d271e618e2_c.jpgI got the five kits at the bottom of the stack for €20 including postage I’ve built the f117 but that still gives me 4 to build. I also have a pair of Glencoe albatross kits that cost €15 for the two; one offaeg do I’ll probably do an Austro hungarian DIII ( mind if the last Glencoe Albatros I did is anything to go by I’ll be entering it in to the Anything but injection build :) ) 

I'm building a pair of the Su34s at present - they are somewhat rustic in their moulding - you'll probably need more than £10 worth of putty and sanding sticks! I know some people who have taken parts from the superior Trumpeter Su27 kits to complete the models to a much better finish but I doubt that would be in the spirit of this GB and not something I'm doing, but then I'm from Yorkshire...

• Like 2

I *might* join this one (depends if I still have modelling mojo in May), but I'm tempted so that I can potentially build 5 kits all under £10.  Literally, 5 x £1.99 kits from Aldi last year :)  I've got to do something with all those 109s, Spitfires and Hurricane...

• Like 2

Being a cheapskate modeller, my pile of kits is LOADED with options! 

I'm going to have to think about this one. 

ESCI DC3 for £7......

I have a box of kits in bags that I got for a fiver each! 

I shall weigh up the situation and get back to you on this. 

Hey, that Buccaneer I'm finishing in Gulf GB was only £9.50. Doh, too late 😎

• Like 2

On 11/02/2021 at 19:46, Enzo Matrix said:

Supposing I had three kits, each of which cost me £9.95.  Could I build all three, in (almost) identical markings in the same thread?

Hi Enzo. Yes I think that should be fine. Each kit is less than a tenner.

18 hours ago, tangerine_sedge said:

I *might* join this one (depends if I still have modelling mojo in May), but I'm tempted so that I can potentially build 5 kits all under £10.  Literally, 5 x £1.99 kits from Aldi last year :)  I've got to do something with all those 109s, Spitfires and Hurricane...

That sounds good - I have added you to the list.....just in case.

12 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Being a cheapskate modeller, my pile of kits is LOADED with options! 

I'm going to have to think about this one. 

ESCI DC3 for £7......

I have a box of kits in bags that I got for a fiver each! 

I shall weigh up the situation and get back to you on this. 

Hey, that Buccaneer I'm finishing in Gulf GB was only £9.50. Doh, too late 😎

Hi Rob. Sounds like a range of excellent options!! I have added you to the list as well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Bagged this for £9.50 posted on Ebay, was super excited to get it started as I've been wanting some form of air ambulance chopper for a while now.  Then it dawned on me its perfect for this GB, so now I'm going to have to keep looking at it in the stash while it slowly eats away at my soul for the next 3 months :D .

GOvXEBE.jpg

I also already have Hunting Percival Jet Provost which was £9.99, and a Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a which was £6.99, both 1/72 and were impulse buys when I was in the LHS pre-lockdown days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Awesome purchase and perfect for this GB Hoolio! I do like the look of that. Sounds like you have some other good choices as well.........if Enzo hears about the latter - you may have a very busy GB! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Stix,

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I have a Hasegawa Tornado GR1 I bought for £9.99 back in the 1990's I am considering entering. However, would it be OK to use some of my existing stock of generic bombs etc on it as I don't think I want to use the kit JP233, ditto the TIALD pod and BOZ from the Airfix weapons set I bought years ago to use on a number of planes such as the Buccaneer I built recently? To expand the question a little further, I take it the resin under the nose gubbins (FLIR fairing I believe) I bought for it many years ago would not be acceptable, and neither would the GR4 decs I bought at the same time when I was thinking of making a few mods to update it? Finally - how about a Master replacement Pitot?

As I understand it the total expenditure, presumably not including paint, should be less than £10 and I appreciate that once you start getting "flexible" on that the floodgates can open! If I can't build this as part of the GB, I will build it anyway and I am sure I can find something else in my stash - it's just that I got the box out to check something today and noticed the Beatties price sticker on it, so I thought I would ask.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Hi Pete. No problem at all - it's always worth asking. I can quite understand that you want to build this kit as best you can and, if you have purchased a lot of things that could enhance it, then you want to use them. The kit on it's own would be perfect for this GB and it would be okay if you wanted to use a few bits and bobs from the spares box. But, as you suggest, the idea of the GB is to show how modellers can make great models from the cheapest of kits. So, if you were to use the other specially purchased items it will take it all above the £10 mark - and outside the spirit of this GB. The paints, paints and varnishes used are not counted as part of the £10....so you could splash out on those.....well perhaps not literally!! I think it may be best to make the most of the kit and the aftermaket extras you have and build it outside this GB. I do hope you have something suitable that you can make in this GB. Should be fun!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Stix.

No problem. I have quite a few that I think would have cost under £10 but not many have a price on them. However I have just noticed an old Airfix AW Seahawk starter set that is priced at £6 complete with paint and glue (not that I need it). I will have to do something about the cockpit and see through intakes and exhausts, and of course the wheel wells, but that will just require card, rod and tube stock that is at least 20 years old and maybe some old cut up bombs or drop tanks from the spares boxes that are even older and so presumably acceptable. This will be the third one I have built and it is very basic, but actually does not look bad, and Airfix have updated the colour scheme and decs for a slightly later version.

Incidentally, I was looking at your painting video the other day and we do things pretty much the same when I can't be bothered to get one of my airbrushes out. I try and use the widest thin flat chisel point brush that is practical and on larger kits sometimes use one 1.8cm wide - I read somewhere that it spreads the paint better than a round brush and avoids a ridge at the boundary with other colours. It is cut at an  angle so twisting it varies the width of the contact area and it is surprising how thin a line it can make when you turn it on edge, but as you say the trick is to thin the paint and work it out - I try to just lightly load the tip of the brush. I did my Shackleton and Lincoln that way and with the right paint it is almost as smooth as air-brushing I find.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Count me in.

I am just getting head wrapped around how these group builds work and this one looks like fun.

Visited my local hobby shop today if you consider a two hour round trip drive local. Found a handful of interesting old kits for less than a tenner ( about $17.29 Canadian at todays exchange rate) so now I have something suitable.

cheers, Graham

• Like 2

On 16/03/2021 at 22:13, GrahamCC said:

Count me in.

I am just getting head wrapped around how these group builds work and this one looks like fun.

Visited my local hobby shop today if you consider a two hour round trip drive local. Found a handful of interesting old kits for less than a tenner ( about $17.29 Canadian at todays exchange rate) so now I have something suitable.

cheers, Graham

Hi Graham. I'm pleased you were able to get some bargains! Welcome along, I have added you to the list in my first post. 

There's now less than two months until the kickoff!

Kind regards,

Stix

Just been having a scroll through Amazon (Prime will be the undoing of me), it's amazing what I can have in my sweaty hands within 24 hours for less than 10 quid. There's a danger that in addition to the Smer(/Heller) Tempest that I already have in the stash I'll pitch in with this interesting subject, £6.76 delivered (the Revell rebox is on there too for not much more).

spacer.png

• Like 1

Hi folk's well I thought it time to cast a line for a kit for this GB as last years efforts drained the supply of cheapie's in the stash so strike

number one paid of with this one picked up for £8.99 today,probably do a second build if anything interesting turns up.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-01644-j-10s-fighter--107127

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

I make it just 7 weeks to go!!

I'm looking forward to it.  I've been itching to build another 109 and the kit I've got for the LTAT GB especially.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Here to set out my stall or at least showcase the potential candidates, truth be told I'm struggling to make my mind up which ones to go with. I'm nowhere near fast enough to "build'em all!" ......so any preferences?:

51012051200_17a19ef600_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

Hobbyboss F-15 arrived and a cracking kit it is too so my two are ready to go should look great in the mock Flanker scheme! Not bad 

two kit's coming in at under eighteen quid thirty quids worth at RRP.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 06:58, Beermonster1958 said:

If its not too late to sign up, count me in please.

I have a couple of Revell Twin Otters I could enter for the GB 😊

John

Hi John. Great to have you along for this GB!! I have added you to the list in post 1 at number 78!

Kind regards,

Stix

On 29/03/2021 at 11:35, MarkSH said:

Hi all,

Here to set out my stall or at least showcase the potential candidates, truth be told I'm struggling to make my mind up which ones to go with. I'm nowhere near fast enough to "build'em all!" ......so any preferences?:

51012051200_17a19ef600_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark

Being completely biased either the Frog Skua or Shark would be terrific. 

However that Connie would look amazing as well.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2