Less Than A Tenner GB Chat

PlaStix

Some of you may remember my earlier post about dropping into Lidl (Rochdale) just before Christmas last year, where I picked up this kit for the princely sum of £4.99.

50729760711_c0cbd558a4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

On a return visit for some Christmas Fayre this year, I picked up these two kits for the same price of £4.99 each. That should give me enough to go at.

50729760451_ba23f942c4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50729856417_c227e5e214_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

I think I have 20 kits in my stash that are £10 or under. I could do a 99p Airfix Spitfire with a £3.99 mkii conversion kit and still come in under half price :)

Could me in.

Now I wonder what the biggest one I have for less than £10 is ?!

• Like 1

I have had a look through my stash and have found a few candidates.

The one that is favourite to get the go ahead is the Airfix Mauretania, which I got from Antics for £9.99. I will try and do some more, I will see how things go.

I am looking forward to the start of this.

Ray

• Like 1

I'm probably splitting hairs here, but bear with me for a minute.  I got an Airfix Club kit (now unavailable new) from a popular online auction site for the princely sum of £6.50.  They seem to go for about £20-25 plus postage, but nobody bid against me and I gave the starting price.  I also have decals left over from another project that would work nicely with it, but they weren't purchased with this particular build in mind.  Would this be eligible?  If so, then please could I sign up?

• Like 1

The present ruler will decide.

However in LTAT 1 the basic outline rules were

1. what you paid for it, irrespective of what the main RRP is or was. was/is the measure

2. Bargains of normally expensive kits had to be approved

3. Gifted models, which cost you nowt, were generally not allowed if their RRP was over the 'tenner' mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2020 at 13:48, Richard Tucker said:

I think I have 20 kits in my stash that are £10 or under. I could do a 99p Airfix Spitfire with a £3.99 mkii conversion kit and still come in under half price :)

Could me in.

Now I wonder what the biggest one I have for less than £10 is ?!

Hi Richard. Welcome to the GB. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to build.

On 20/12/2020 at 15:06, Ray S said:

I have had a look through my stash and have found a few candidates.

The one that is favourite to get the go ahead is the Airfix Mauretania, which I got from Antics for £9.99. I will try and do some more, I will see how things go.

I am looking forward to the start of this.

Ray

Hi Ray. Welcome to the GB. I have added you to the list in the first post.

On 20/12/2020 at 22:03, jackroadkill said:

I'm probably splitting hairs here, but bear with me for a minute.  I got an Airfix Club kit (now unavailable new) from a popular online auction site for the princely sum of £6.50.  They seem to go for about £20-25 plus postage, but nobody bid against me and I gave the starting price.  I also have decals left over from another project that would work nicely with it, but they weren't purchased with this particular build in mind.  Would this be eligible?  If so, then please could I sign up?

Hi Jack. Welcome to the GB. I think it should be okay. It is treading a fine line, a bit - but I'm reluctant to stop people taking part. You got it fair and square. What is the actual kit?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Jack. Welcome to the GB. I think it should be okay. It is treading a fine line, a bit - but I'm reluctant to stop people taking part. You got it fair and square. What is the actual kit?

Hi Stix, it's the Airfix A82012 Bf109E-3/E-7 Club edition:

spacer.png

Somehow I managed to get it on Ebay for six pounds and fifty pence.  If it's against the spirit of the build I don't mind - I'll find something else if necessary although this would be my first choice.  I'll go with whatever you decide!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Hi Stix, it's the Airfix A82012 Bf109E-3/E-7 Club edition:

Somehow I managed to get it on Ebay for six pounds and fifty pence.  If it's against the spirit of the build I don't mind - I'll find something else if necessary although this would be my first choice.  I'll go with whatever you decide!

From a bit of checking online - although the actual kit, because it's a special edition, would go for around £20+.....................similar 109 kits, from around that time from Airfix, can be had, seemingly, from between about £9 to £15 - so I think you should be okay. It is a tricky one but I think you were lucky in getting it for that price.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

imho, jackroadkill's build should be allowed

He explained how he got it cheap. The explanation is reasonable.

I too have picked up expensive kits for very little on ebay for various reasons, eg recently I got an Eduard 1/48 Albatross D.Va for 99p plus postage of £2.50. Normal price is about £20. Seller had misspelt the name and put the wrong scale.

I'll not be entering one of these in my build(s) though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

From a bit of checking online - although the actual kit, because it's a special edition, would go for around £20+.....................similar 109 kits, from around that time from Airfix, can be had, seemingly, from between about £9 to £15 - so I think you should be okay. It is a tricky one but I think you were lucky in getting it for that price.

Kind regards,

Stix 

I wasn't expecting to get if for that - I put a bid on for the asking price and was surprised that nobody bid against me, so yes, I was lucky!  If anyone objects to its' inclusion I'll find something else for the GB; either way, I'm in!

11 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

imho, jackroadkill's build should be allowed

He explained how he got it cheap. The explanation is reasonable.

I too have picked up expensive kits for very little on ebay for various reasons, eg recently I got an Eduard 1/48 Albatross D.Va for 99p plus postage of £2.50. Normal price is about £20. Seller had misspelt the name and put the wrong scale.

I'll not be entering one of these in my build(s) though

Thanks BK!

• Like 1

Now that Santa's skipped off home for his 11 months of self-isolation, I can reveal what he left...

PXL-20210103-172406178.jpg \

I happen to know that he stopped off at the Big H on his way and spent 9.98, at first I thought that left me with 2p to play with but as this is less than a tenner GB, it actually only leaves 1p, so it'll be straight out of the box. I've not checked Scalemates but I imagine it's Frogspawn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Now that Santa's skipped off home for his 11 months of self-isolation, I can reveal what he left...

I happen to know that he stopped off at the Big H on his way and spent 9.98, at first I thought that left me with 2p to play with but as this is less than a tenner GB, it actually only leaves 1p, so it'll be straight out of the box. I've not checked Scalemates but I imagine it's Frogspawn.

Hi Mjwomack. Looks like a great kit for the GB! Nice one.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 11:02 PM, Black Knight said:

The present ruler will decide.

However in LTAT 1 the basic outline rules were

1. what you paid for it, irrespective of what the main RRP is or was. was/is the measure

2. Bargains of normally expensive kits had to be approved

3. Gifted models, which cost you nowt, were generally not allowed if their RRP was over the 'tenner' mark

This concerns me somewhat, so much so that I re-read this thread from the beginning to see if there were any mention of it. Maybe there is, but if so I missed it. A lot of people - myself included - have mentioned bargains of various sorts that they plan on building for this GB. I have almost 100 kits in my stash that were bought second-hand, and would meet the price criteria. However, it might be hard to assign a contemporary RRP to some of them, as they were long since OOP when I bought them. Even if a realistic RRP is available, how "expensive" would that have to be to rule out the kit?

For example, I have two Airfix F2H Banshees (series 4) in my stash. One I got as a gift in 1994, which I will exclude. The other I bought second-hand in 2015 for 7.50 Euro, c. STG £6.60 at current exchange rates. At that time, the RRP for a an Airfix series 4 kit was at or just over 20 Euro, clearly over the STG £10 limit. I also got the S-3 Viking kit for the same price at the same time, and that is (or was) the more expensive series 5. Like the Banshee, it has not been generally available since the late 1980s.

Another example: I bought the AMK 1/72 L-29 Delfin last year. As it was part of batch bought second-hand, it was not individually priced, but I assigned it a notional price of 7 Euro (just over STG £6). It's hard to assign a reliable RRP to this, as it's not something I could buy in a shop here in Ireland, and online prices vary considerably (another headache, especially since delivery cost is not included). The odds are the RRP would be over the STG £10 limit, although not by that much - excluding delivery.

One other potential anomaly relates to fluctuating exchange rates over time, exacerbated by currency switches. I bought a number of big ESCI kits in the mid- to late-1990s at knock-down prices (not second-hand): AC-130, Tu-22 "Blinder", Tu-22M "Backfire" (x2 versions). These were all IR £9.99 each. Since the Irish pound was generally worth less than the pound Sterling at the time, they should qualify. But their notional Euro value* of 12.68 would be > STG £11 based on current exchange rates.

*The Irish pound was worth 1.269738 Euro during the transition period in the early noughties.

• Like 1

Hi @klr. Thank you for your long post!! I agree - this is an area that is a bit complicated for a GB like this and exchange rates don't help. As I have mentioned before - a bit of a bargain isn't an issue. If you were lucky enough to pick up a £14.00 kit in a sale for £7.99 that's not a problem. It sort of becomes a problem if the kit has only been recently released and generally goes for, a RRP of, say, much, much more. In the first GB, if I remember correctly - in someone's thread - questions arose around kits worth close to £100, that someone got from someone, who new someone, whose modelling husband had passed away. The items were just being sold off by the poor widow who wasn't aware of how much they were actually worth. The basic spirit of this GB is to make something cheap. If you have purchased a kit that originally sold in the 60s or 70s for a couple of pounds, but is now considered a rarity and normally, these days, went for silly money on Ebay - but you got it for £9.99 in a clearance sale in 2015 - then that's more than acceptable.  Obviously if you purchased said kit back in the 70s for the couple of quid - that's even better - even though to buy one these days would cost you close to £100. With regards exchange rates - again, just try to stick within the spirit of the GB. I know some countries have the same kit as the UK but on sale far cheaper than here. That, again, is fine and acceptable. At the end of the day, I'm leaving it up to people who want to take part, to choose what they think, is within the spirit of the GB. Be cheap! As I always use as my example - someone building a 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire because they got it at a car boot sale for 50p is not really getting the idea of the GB! It's just showing off!!

Hopefully you'll think of something that fits the GB and you can take part. I have added you to the list in the first post so 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi @klr. Thank you for your long post!! I agree - this is an area that is a bit complicated for a GB like this and exchange rates don't help. As I have mentioned before - a bit of a bargain isn't an issue. If you were lucky enough to pick up a £14.00 kit in a sale for £7.99 that's not a problem. It sort of becomes a problem if the kit has only been recently released and generally goes for, a RRP of, say, much, much more. In the first GB, if I remember correctly - in someone's thread - questions arose around kits worth close to £100, that someone got from someone, who new someone, whose modelling husband had passed away. The items were just being sold off by the poor widow who wasn't aware of how much they were actually worth. The basic spirit of this GB is to make something cheap. If you have purchased a kit that originally sold in the 60s or 70s for a couple of pounds, but is now considered a rarity and normally, these days, went for silly money on Ebay - but you got it for £9.99 in a clearance sale in 2015 - then that's more than acceptable.  Obviously if you purchased said kit back in the 70s for the couple of quid - that's even better - even though to buy one these days would cost you close to £100. With regards exchange rates - again, just try to stick within the spirit of the GB. I know some countries have the same kit as the UK but on sale far cheaper than here. That, again, is fine and acceptable. At the end of the day, I'm leaving it up to people who want to take part, to choose what they think, is within the spirit of the GB. Be cheap! As I always use as my example - someone building a 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire because they got it at a car boot sale for 50p is not really getting the idea of the GB! It's just showing off!!

Hopefully you'll think of something that fits the GB and you can take part. I have added you to the list in the first post so 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the detailed response. My approach to this GB (which I probably outlined when I signed up last year) is along the lines of:

• Prove how much kit you could get for your money back in the day. This will probably involve one sizeable kit. As well as the ESCI kits I mentioned earlier, I've got a couple of Airfix Lancasters (1980 tooling), a Heller Transall 160, DC-6, "Super Connie", Canadair 215 and Nord 2501 Noratlas, all purchased during the 1990s. Some may have been discounted from their RRP at the time, but not excessively so. I rarely saw bargains until (say) 10 to 15 years ago. I've only been buying second-hand in the last 5 or 6 years.
  • Prove that there are still good cheap kits out there today, although these will generally be small, say Airfix series 1 or 2, or equivalent. I have a very large list to choose from here (as in hundreds).
  • Prove that there are cut-price bargains to be had, be they second-hand, clear-outs (special offers, stores closing), etc. As a rule, I don't go in for very expensive kits, and there is probably nothing in my stash that was slashed all the way from (say) STG £40 all the way down to £10. There are some oddities like the Tamiya1/700 USS Bogue, which only cost me 5 Euro, but retails for c. 25 Euro online. In fact, a lot of my second-hand buys have been for no more than 5 Euro. However, in most cases these would have retailed for no more than 10 to 15 Euro, and so at worst, their RRP would not have been much above STG £10.

True "vintage" kits are almost a separate category in themselves. Before Christmas, I got first dibs on a batch of second-hand collectables, such as an original 1965 issue Airfix Phantom F-4B (series 3) and original 1970 issue Airfix Meteor III (series 2). Both were just 5 Euro, which cheap as that is today, is still many, many times more than they cost new! Because of the Airfix series system, it's possible to put a notional current RRP on these, and in fact the Meteor might still make the cut if it were re-released as a Vintage Classic. But beyond a certain point, all the notional number-crunching and projections are probably not appropriate for kits like these.

• Like 1

Been giving this GB some thought and as I have a lot of old kits which originally were under a tenner, I have a much bigger choice than I realised. 

Now to make my mine up !

Initial thoughts are;

Frog / Novo Maryland - Adrian "Warby" Warburton, DSO DFC     OR

Frog / Novo Baltimore  - Malta    OR

Frog / Novo Ventura - Choice    OR

Airfix Wellington 

Likely aftermarket decals as original will be US.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Been giving this GB some thought and as I have a lot of old kits which originally were under a tenner, I have a much bigger choice than I realised. 

Now to make my mine up !

Initial thoughts are;

Airfix Wellington 

Cheers Pat 

Baltimore ... Baltimore ... Baltimore ... Baltimore ... Baltimore ... :hypnotised: ... Is it working yet ? 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Now to make my mine up !

Initial thoughts are;

Airfix Wellington 

Cheers Pat 

Sounds like an interesting set of choices Pat but I am surprised a certain Group Build moderator hasn't commented yet!!!! Be afraid.....be very afraid! :worry:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking about my build. I have suggested my 1/48 Trumpeter FW200 that I was given for looking after Chris Enser's model shop in Lewes for a couple of weeks (many moons ago). But that is a bit big and complicated and as I will have an SRN4 on the go as well as a complex build of the Short Mayo Composite might need something simpler. I have a couple of 'Tower Tram' kits that I inherited from my late father (still miss him after all these years), or a Maquette (nee Frog) R 100 airship that a wife bought me from Chris' Lewes shop. In the modern world last year my lover bought me the Motorhead edition of the Airfix He111 for my birthday that I didn't build for the GB of that type last year. I even have figures to go inside, so ......

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Been thinking about my build. I have suggested my 1/48 Trumpeter FW200 that I was given for looking after Chris Enser's model shop in Lewes for a couple of weeks (many moons ago). But that is a bit big and complicated and as I will have an SRN4 on the go as well as a complex build of the Short Mayo Composite might need something simpler. I have a couple of 'Tower Tram' kits that I inherited from my late father (still miss him after all these years), or a Maquette (nee Frog) R 100 airship that a wife bought me from Chris' Lewes shop. In the modern world last year my lover bought me the Motorhead edition of the Airfix He111 for my birthday that I didn't build for the GB of that type last year. I even have figures to go inside, so ......

It sounds like you have a lot of thinking to do but you have got three months to decide on a suitable cheap kit!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

50172945583_d271e618e2_c.jpgI got the five kits at the bottom of the stack for €20 including postage I’ve built the f117 but that still gives me 4 to build. I also have a pair of Glencoe albatross kits that cost €15 for the two; one offaeg do I’ll probably do an Austro hungarian DIII ( mind if the last Glencoe Albatros I did is anything to go by I’ll be entering it in to the Anything but injection build :) ) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Hi Marklo. That looks like an impressive collection just waiting to be built in this GB!! Looking forward to seeing them underway after the 15th May! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1