Seafire Mk.XV wingfold.....

mackem01

Hi gang, I'm going through a bit of a frustrating time at the mo with my projects. My Tonkas are on hold because I'm sick of filling and sanding,

Ninak is on hold until I can find some rudder striping to match the roundels, and the Sabre is stymied until the warm weather arrives and I can get

her outside for the application of the well known camouflage colour - Rattle Can White. In the meantime I've started an old Hobbycraft Seafire

Mk.XV and I would like to cut and fold the wings if the wing breaks are not overly complicated. So I was wondering if anyone has any clear pics

or plans of the break lines when the wing is folded? I'm plodding on with the interior for the time being so any help would be much appreciated

- hoping someone in our Supermarine faction is feeling generous enough to help.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by mackem01

3 hours ago, mackem01 said:

I would like to cut and fold the wings

put up a wanted ad for leftover Airfix Mk.17 folded wings, the kit has two wings,  folded and unfolded, which will make life much easier. 

Airwaves do set of wing fold parts though

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AEC48107

AEC48107.jpg?t=

Seafire wing fold are complex as the tips fold as well.

137%252001.jpg&key=0d745409d8abdf2caeb2a

from our walkround

note the break goes over the wheel well

137%252008.jpg&key=1d37915759d3f14e13169

The walkround is of a Seafire 17, but apart from the cutdown fuselage and in the rudder, which some Seafire 15's have, the detail are the same.

Given the relative cheapness of the Special Hobby, Seafire XV/15,  or the Revell rebox,  the Hobbycraft kit is,. erm, basic.  

anyway, HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vickers-Supermarine Seafire Mk.XV PR503 / Airventure 2010

I used these as references for mine using the Airwaves set. The Mk.XVII at Yeovilton was handy, too (I took quite a few pics from weird angles). This might help avoid some of the issues.

• Like 3

@Bell209

Rob,

Thanks for posting the photo- is that restored XV a gorgeous airplane or what? Great modeling reference, as it shows the bulged fairing doors, forward-facing torque scissors, 4-spoke wheels, the curved deflector over the Hispano case port, and the wing fold details. 👍

Mike

Yeah, it looks lovely and there are a series of photos of it on the site. I referred to it often when building mine. Click on the photo to go to the site.

Edited by Bell209