Arma hobby 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I, 238 Sqn, RAF Middle Wallop

Here’s the Arma Hobby Hurricane Mk.I in markings of 238 Sqn at RAF Middle Wallop. This is a lovely kit, although I struggled a bit with the fit of the cockpit internal framing. Note that I have been purposely picking aircraft to model that don’t have standard Sky undersides.

49525899722_987cb4f646_b.jpg

49525167128_e159b67f1a_b.jpg

49525167133_44bacc88be_b.jpg

49525899827_54bb52f9ee_b.jpg

Hurricane underside

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 33

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat model! But the lighter, greenish beige, topside camo colour looks a bit strange, if it's intended to be Dk Earth. Likewise on your Airfix rag wing – same colours?

Kind regards,

Joachim

All the paints are Vallejo Acrylics. Some of what you are seeing may just be the lighting. In natural daylight, the dark earth does not have that greenish tinge to it. That said, I know Vallejo colours can sometimes be more of an approximation than an exact match but I've been happy with these for the most part.

The colours came from this set

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/producto/hobby/sets/air-war-en/raf-colors-special-battle-of-britain-71144-es/

RAF-Colors-Special-Battle-of-Britain-val

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1

On 12/02/2020 at 19:11, VMA131Marine said:

Note that I have been purposely picking aircraft to model that don’t have standard Sky undersides.

Very nice! Are you doing one in Eau de Nil?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, zigster said:

Sorry, but both of your "top colours" look rather strange to me. Beige earth and pine green. On the other hand, some guys 👍.

I'm not going to argue 🙂 Happy modelglueing!

Zig

How about now?

2020-02-14 12:54:57

Hi VMA131 Marine..

If you asking me: "How about now?" - I don't see any difference to the previous pix.

This is not about the light in the picture. Those paints are ....not really right (taking gently BM approach).

If you look at the Vallejo leaflet in your earlier post, their print is so much closer.

Nice modelling though, nice Hurri!

Z

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, zigster said:

Hi VMA131 Marine..

If you asking me: "How about now?" - I don't see any difference to the previous pix.

This is not about the light in the picture. Those paints are ....not really right (taking gently BM approach).

If you look at the Vallejo leaflet in your earlier post, their print is so much closer.

Z

Hi there,

I have used the same Vallejo set on my Hurricane except for the underside and think that what you are seeing is a colour cast unless it's a funny batch.

Vallejo have the reputation of being a bit iffy regarding colour matching but the Set here seems pretty close to me.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, zigster said:

Hi VMA131 Marine..

Z

My point was that you cannot judge colour accuracy from an image on the web. There are too many variables involved: the lighting, the camera sensitivity, the image compression, the monitor colour rendition etc. Here’s the same model under more natural daylight. The Hurricane next to it and the Spit above were all painted with the same paints, whereas the early Mk.I was painted with Testors Model Master Dark Earth and Dark Green; there’s not a lot of difference, if any.

49548621701_8f0b6cef85_b.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely Hurricane and super collection in that last photo; which, I think, proves the point precisely. Because, to my eye, the Dark Earths and Dark Greens ALL look ever so slightly different! And that, I suspect, is all about angle, lighting, distance and position.

Are you pleased with them? I think you should be. And that's what it's all about.

If I were being picky, the standout thing for me on VK*A is the gun patches which, I think, should be one large rectangle covering all four ports on each wing (rather than 4 individual squares). But I'm sure some real Hurricane experts will put me right any time soon!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

If I were being picky, the standout thing for me on VK*A is the gun patches which, I think, should be one large rectangle covering all four ports on each wing (rather than 4 individual squares). But I'm sure some real Hurricane experts will put me right any time soon!

Call it artistic license! 😂

Although, I did find this example with a single patch over one barrel:

RAF_armourers_bombing_up_Hawker_Hurrican

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, johnd said:

I think that's a closed-off gun port to allow the fitting of the bombs.

Correct. the bomb carriers covered the cartridge ejection ports for the next to inboard guns, if the prop blades were slightly further round the corresponding gun on the port wing would be seen as  blanked as well

• Like 2

Smashing Hurricane and a nice collection.

I've just finished the Airfix one using this Vallejo paint set and for my money the colours look pretty good. I think I prefer them to Gunze Mr Color, if only because I don't have to wear a gas mask while airbrushing.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, IanC said:

Smashing Hurricane and a nice collection.

I've just finished the Airfix one using this Vallejo paint set and for my money the colours look pretty good. I think I prefer them to Gunze Mr Color, if only because I don't have to wear a gas mask while airbrushing.

TBH, I love Gunze Mr. Color too. I have a spray booth that exhausts outside so I mostly avoid the fumes, but it means opening a window to vent the booth and I hate to do that when it's really cold out, as New England winters often are (except this year).

On 2/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, VMA131Marine said:

My point was that you cannot judge colour accuracy from an image on the web. There are too many variables involved: the lighting, the camera sensitivity, the image compression, the monitor colour rendition etc. Here’s the same model under more natural daylight. The Hurricane next to it and the Spit above were all painted with the same paints [...]

That's my experience as well with VMA 71.323 and 324.

Although I must say I like how Tamiya XF61 and VMA 71.013 work out sprayed over 323..

324 sometimes has a yellowish brighter tint when used thin.

[edit]

Nice A/B scheme view btw.

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Nice A/B scheme view btw

Glad someone noticed! 😂 That was deliberate on my part. You’ll have noticed the two Spitfire Is are A and B schemes as well.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1