Simple question, Spitfire Mk.X to Mk.XI

vppelt68

Buying the 1:72 scale MPM Spitfire Mk.X kit for 5€, is done :yahoo:. Rising Decals "Foreign recon" set for Mk. XI is also already on its way :yahoo:. I have a ton of flash to clean, though :sad: and all the camera positions to drill open :sad: and then cover  :sad: , but the worst part is the windshield :weep:. First of all, I would prefer an injection molded over the (nice, but..) vac formeds supplied in the kit, and what I need is the unarmoured version. Is the easiest solution just to buy an Airfix Mk.XIX kit to source the camera windows and the windshield? V-P

You can also sand the front frame on windscreen. After getting right shape using piller you have to polish it first using paper "600", then "1200" and  "2000" (with water) then piece of cotton finally diluted gloss varnish...

• Thanks 1

The Special Hobby Mk.X and MPM Mk.XI only differ in the canopy, decals and the resin intake for the Mk.X.

As you noticed, the difficult part would be to change the canopy. Not only this is unarmoured, it is also non pressurised so features a different rear section. The Airfix part could be used, assuming that fits the kit, but you would have to modify slightly the rear section (really just painting the sills higher should be enough). The only other complete injection moulded option I can think of is asking Special Hobby if they have the clear parta for the XI available for sale.

There are some vacuform alternatives. The Falcon set mentioned by @alt-92 includes a complete Mk.XI canopy. If you don't want to buy a full set for a single canopy, Pavla offers a set of canopies for the Airfix PR.XIX that includes both the pressurised and non-pressurised variant. The latter is the one to use on the XI

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2020 at 7:06 PM, vppelt68 said:

Buying the 1:72 scale MPM Spitfire Mk.X kit for 5€, is done :yahoo:. Rising Decals "Foreign recon" set for Mk. XI is also already on its way :yahoo:. I have a ton of flash to clean, though :sad: and all the camera positions to drill open :sad: and then cover  :sad: , but the worst part is the windshield :weep:. First of all, I would prefer an injection molded over the (nice, but..) vac formeds supplied in the kit, and what I need is the unarmoured version. Is the easiest solution just to buy an Airfix Mk.XIX kit to source the camera windows and the windshield? V-P

Interesting dilemma. I plan on doing a XI using an Airfix XIX and the Freigtdog conversion.

Now, if you bought the Airfix XIX, you would have the Airfix canopy, MPM fin and rudder and merlin engine to put on the XIX fuselage and wings. Might save you from cleaning up the ton of flash 

Just a suggestion.

/Finn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1