As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

CliffB

Norwegian Ar.196

Hi all.  My entry for this GB will be my second Nordic build of the year - my first being a Finnish Il-28 in the Nordic GB.  

I'm planning to represent each of the five Nordic countries over the course of 2020 and this time it's Norway's turn! 

I'm therefore going to build an Arado Ar,196 float plane, that was briefly operated (for just 11 days to be precise), by the Royal Norwegian Navy Air Service.

As many of you will know, the Ar.196 was standard issue for larger German warships during WWII and sure enough, my Norwegian plane actually started its career aboard the cruiser Admiral Hipper.

At the beginning of April 1940, the Admiral Hipper formed part of the flotilla carrying German troops for the invasion of Norway.  On 8th April, whilst en-route up the Norwegian coastline, Admiral Hipper and the German destroyer Bernd von Arnim, engaged the RN destroyer HMS Glowworm and ultimately sank her.  At the start of the engagement, as was standard practice, Admiral Hipper launched its Ar.196.  Unfortunately, due to bad weather, the plane was unable to return to the ship and had to make a forced landing at Lyngstad, in Norway.  After apparently trying to buy fuel from some locals, the aircrew were detained and handed over to the Norwegian police.  Meanwhile the plane was towed away, repainted with Norwegian markings and assimilated into the Royal Norwegian Navy Air Service.

On 18th April, the Ar.196 was successfully evacuated to Britain by a Norwegian pilot, but was shortly afterwards destroyed in a crash (whilst being flown by a British pilot), en route for testing at the Helensburgh air base.

For a kit, I'll be using one of Trumpeter's 1/200 scale series of naval aircraft.  These are sold as supplements to Trumpeter's 1/200 scale warship kits (the Bismark in this case), but are sweet little kits in their own right.  I made their Walrus in last year's Float Plane GB and really enjoyed it.

P1110136.jpg

Unusually, the kits are moulded in clear plastic - which thankfully is not at all brittle.

Strangely, Trumpeter have chosen not to provide a plastic canopy piece, but instead give you a PE frame which has to be folded into shape.  No reference is made to glazing.  I'm not sure if glazing is necessary in this scale, but it should be easy enough to do using Krystal Klear if necessary.  PE is also provided for the floats' bracing wires.

P1110137.jpg

It'll be March before I start, but I'm looking forward to it!

Cheers

My god, it’s tiny! What a choice! Should be a quick build 😃

And I expected a ship build ...pass the magnifying glass ... that is small but very interesting, it will be fun to watch it come together,

Thanks for the history behind this build Cliff, such a shame it got ruined in Scotland having overcome so much to get there. 

Best of luck with the build

cheers Pat 

Thank you for your welcomes guys and I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to reply.

There's good news and there's bad news.

The good news is that I've made a start.  I was printing off some decals yesterday and took the opportunity to make the Arado's Norwegian markings too.

P1110213.JPG

The bad news is that with more time on my hands at the moment, I've decided to take on additional builds.  One of these will be a Lancaster and, based on completion deadlines, I'll now be progressing that ahead of the Arado.

I will get there in the end though!

Cheers

With my Nordic GB build now safely out of the way, I'm feeling a bit more relaxed about getting both this build and my Lanc finished in time.  So I thought I'd make a start on the Arado.

Seven pieces later and....

P1110299.JPG

Once the floats are thoroughly set, I'll be sanding their undersides down to make the model a 'waterline'.

Cheers