Can the AMK F-14D be used to make a -A version?

lesthegringo

Fresh from reading Mike's nice review of AMK's F-14D, it's clear it's a really nice kit, with everything that you could want posable so that you can have it all hanging out.

But, we are never completely happy, are we, I would have preferred to see the -A version, not least because of the cool high viz schemes. I know the TF30's were replaced, but I'm sure an aftermarket resin set can be modified to suit, and ditto the bang seats.

The cockpit was changed, but again I  suspect that some aftermarket cockpit panels could be used to at least be in the ballpark with some changes.

What else is distinctively different? The beaver tail, gun ports, some of the chin sensors...... if I really was fixated on the -A, what would prevent the AMK kit being retro'd to a -A? Forget panel lines or relatively minor stuff like that, what would require major work? Not being an F-14 obsessed nut aside from  from what I've mentioned, what would you need?

Cheers 

Les

Edited by lesthegringo

Les,

See if the discussion and photos in the attached link help. Seats, burner cans, chin sensor, HUD, and possibly gun gas vents are different between the two versions. I have also attached a link to the outstanding Tomcat web page. Hope these help. From everything I have read, the B's and D's were awesome beasts.

Mike

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=161959

http://www.anft.net/f-14/

40 minutes ago, lesthegringo said:

Fresh from reading Mike's nice review of AMK's F-14D, it's clear it's a really nice kit, with everything that you could want posable so that you can havine it all hanging out.

But, we are never completely happy, are we, I would have preferred to see the -A version, not least because of the cool high viz schemes. I know the TF30's were replaced, but I'm sure an aftermarket resin set can be modified to suit, and ditto the bang seats.

The cockpit was changed, but again I  suspect that some aftermarket cockpit panels could be used to at least be in the ballpark with some changes.

What else is distinctively different? The beaver tail, gun ports, some of the chin sensors...... if I really was fixated on the -A, what would prevent the AMK kit being retro'd to a -A? Forget panel lines or relatively minor stuff like that, what would require major work? Not being an F-14 obsessed nut aside from  from what I've mentioned, what would you need?

Cheers 

Les

If you want an A get the Tamiya F-14A.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 4:21 PM, Stephen said:

If you want an A get the Tamiya F-14A.

I have the Tamiya kit, but no separate flaps, slats, spoilers..... it's still in the box

I have built the Hasegawa kit with everything that it has hanging out, but you know how tricky they are to put together, and requires filler in stupid places. The AMK kit just seems to address those issues apart from the minor detail that it's a -D

Cheers 

Les

Edited by lesthegringo

15 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Les,

See if the discussion and photos in the attached link help. Seats, burner cans, chin sensor, HUD, and possibly gun gas vents are different between the two versions. I have also attached a link to the outstanding Tomcat web page. Hope these help. From everything I have read, the B's and D's were awesome beasts.

Mike

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=161959

http://www.anft.net/f-14/

Thanks, a quick look shows that they were more similar than I expected 

Cheers

Les

I think also the nozzle/engine  fairings are different ... and then of course xou could tty to mate a Tamiya A with AMK wings... after all they provide 2 sets... just an idea...

And there is also a resin wing set for the Tamiya out there...

Edited by exdraken

19 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

What else is distinctively different?

Having converted a 1/32 Tamiya F-14A into an F-14D, from memory there was a new back end, new engine nozzles, new ejection seats, chin sensor and a myriad of smaller details. And also the DACO book on the F-14 as a reference.

So I'd recommend starting with an F-14A kit and adding details such as flying surfaces as you require. One of my colleagues at the local modelling club has built three of the Tamiya F-14A kits and describes them as the best kit he has ever built.

18 hours ago, NorthBayKid said:

Have you seen the Italian review of the AMK kit?  From what I have read and seen it seems a long way from really good.

I have the kit and a lot of those points seem really small to me. that review seems the be a very negative based review. 

Mike has also reviewed the kit on here;

• Like 1

To each his own, but the kit has very obvious (to me) and very significant basic problems in shapes and details.  A friend of mine is attempting to build it and he said the fit of most of the major parts leaves much to be desired, and that the surface detail is inconsistent (all of which is pointed out in the review, which is very much a fact based evaluation, and not just opinion).

The answer to the OP question is no, you can’t build an F-14A from the AMK kit.  

On 2/14/2020 at 9:01 AM, Threadbear said:

I have to say I considered an AMK F-14D but having looked at the instructions on 1999.jp, the overly complex build put me off! 

I suspect that AMK have maybe confused things with their instructions. If you take your time with them you can see that they have depicted multiple options in one diagram, which are logical but definitely does not simplify interpretation.  The way that some other manufacturers do it, by having a separate diagram for each option is much less likely to cause confusion or errors. That, at least in my opinion makes the build appear more complex and fussy than it really is.

However looking at the build instructions (and I have say that this is an opinion without the kit in my hands) does for me show that they have paid attention to detail and making the construction of certain areas easier, or at least more robust / foolproof.  The way the horizontal stabilisers are fitted onto keyed, well attached mounting parts is one, I  only have to look at my cabinet to see the likes of the F-15, Academy F-14, Hasegawa F-14, MiG to see where poor attachment design has led to multiple re-attachment.

Other things that stick out are some details like the canopy lock hooks, airbrake and spoiler interior detail, intake ramp detail including the actuators, basically a lot of stuff that you would generally go aftermarket for is good to see. Also the fact that if you don't want 'wet' wings, a clean pair are supplied so there's no messing around cutting, filling, scribing... Ditto the closed canopy.

I will get one of these, and I am sure that there will be bits of it that I rail at, nothing is ever perfect. Who knows, as suggested here a frankenstein between the AMK kit and the Tamiya one I have in my stash may come about. I doubt it though. The Tamiya kit will almost certainly be a pleasure to build, and I can't see me risking spoiling it. It's more likely that I will make the AMK kit using a couple of -A exhausts and maybe some other -A bits robbed for other kits or the aftermarket and (whisper it) make a high-viz -A with everything hanging out with incorrect details that are only noticeable by people who really know. After all, the only reason I build models is to enjoy myself, not as some kind of competition. Everyone is free to build what they want, how they want

I appreciate all the input here by everyone, thanks again

Cheers 

Les

Edited by lesthegringo
  • Like 3