2x SAAB JAS 39A Gripen - 1/72

Orso

spacer.png

I brought out my last 39A kit for this GB. Even thought the box say JAS 39C it is a JAS 39A inside.

It is the Italeri kit with some etched parts inside. 

spacer.png

The way Italeri divided the parts are strange/bad. Lots of putty will be needed.

spacer.png

I made a new instrument panel. The Gripen has a joystick on a console and not a long stick attached to the floor as in the kit. The problem with the left wing was present on this kit as well so I used the same method to fix it as my other Gripen's: https://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/72/39Akits.html  I also used filler to remove the step in front of the canopy that shouldn't be there.

spacer.png

The strange joint between fuselage and wings are not fun to deal with. I wonder why Italeri decided to put a small triangle  of the wing on the fuselage. Blending it in can be problematic.

The fin got a joint high up on the right side that also need to disappear. 

Edited by Orso
  • Like 6

Hi Orso,

I had all the same problems myself. According to the article you linked to me the ridge in front of the windscreen needs sanding down - I see that is still the case on this kit!

Nice build.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

To be sure that the canopy still fits I put some filler in front of it. The filler is what I sand down for a smooth line forward.

I now have  two kits in the same build phase but the pictures would look the same so I will wait before adding any of it. 

• Like 1

I think that I will arm one of the with RBS 15 missiles so I have to finish these that I started before.

spacer.png
I picked out the three RBS 15 that were in plastic.
The old Revell prototype, Italeri JAS 39A and the new JAS 39C from Revell.
The new one from Revell has a nose that is too pointed, in addition, I think the air intake look wrong compared to photos.
Italeri is the one that feels closest to photos but I think the nose is a little too pointed. 
Finally the Revell prototype which has a very rounded nose. Again, I do not like the air intake.

spacer.png
So I don't think anyone looks like the original if you go by pictures. 

spacer.png
I mounted the prototypes nose on the Italeri body. The old missile is smaller in diameter than Italeri's but by a lucky coincidence, the diameter fit pretty well at the panel line in front of the front fins.

spacer.png
The Revell nose had a slightly larger diameter right here so it fit well. I sanded it down to blend in with the Italeri part and at the same time sanded the nose so that it became a little less blunt. Now I think it looks more like the pictures of the original.

spacer.png

I would like to have four of them so I have to go through my spare part boxes to see if I have more parts from the old Revell kits.

• Like 5

welcome along Bjorn and with a different boxing of the Gripen than we normally see.

Gee it does look like it needs work to get right, the 1/48th version isn't much better! But you're off to a good start.

Nice work with the mixing and matching on the missiles, it does look better when compared to the photo.

Good luck with the build, hopefully it doesn't give you too many issues, look forward to seeing her in the gallery

Hi Orso,

Don't know about your boxing but in my original Italeri one they seem to have got the numbering for the main undercarriage legs the wrong way round. Part 39 is the left one not the right as in the drawing - that or I am going mad which is always possible!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

You're putting a lot of work into this one and will be rewarded with a great model of the Grippen and her FBMs as a result Bjorn :thumbsup:

It is, however, a pity such work is required to produce an accurate result these days.

It might not be the best of Italeri but it is an 20 year old kit. I am looking forward of trying the new Revell JAS 39C when I'm finished with these.

I think that I have all issues of this kit. Italeri x2, Revell. Airfix, Tamiys and Bilek. in some of the instructions the landing gear are correctly numbered and in others not.

I am revising my thoughts of doing the cockpit. I will scrap my idea of making new instrument panels. Instead I'm working on paper panels. I have done it before in my Viggen prototypes and in a Draken.

• Like 2

jas39a_201.JPG

The second model is an old Italeri boxing. I skipped the idea of new instrument panels and used the one in the kit. I put a piece of plastic on the floor as a console for the joystick.

jas39a_202.JPG

jas39a_203.JPG

Instead I decided to make some instrument panels in paper. With the canopy in place it will do.

If anyone want to use them you are welcome to do so. Using a laser printer or copy machine give a better result than an ink jet printer. I made a new post about them.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2