Meteor VZ467 "Winston"

Blacktjet

I can't answer your query directly but I suspect 'Winston' wasn't actually on the a/c itself. I did however turn up a build of the CMR kit here which discusses the paint and markings of 'Winston' :

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/aviation/Czech-Resins-1-72-Gloster-Meteor-F-8-FR-9.php

Anyone building a representation of the camouflaged VZ467 would do well to read the notes in this build article referencing Winstons paint schemes. Apparently VZ467 had very non standard Meteor camouflage & markings in later RAF service and after Delta Jets had the a/c post 1982, it got repainted and marked up yet again in a different  non standard camouflage scheme. Eventually it went 'down under' and is now in HSS I think. There must be a bewideringly variable number of confusing and contradictory images out there.

9 minutes ago, viscount806x said:

I can't answer your query directly but I suspect 'Winston' wasn't actually on the a/c itself. I did however turn up a build of the CMR kit here which discusses the paint and markings of 'Winston' :

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/aviation/Czech-Resins-1-72-Gloster-Meteor-F-8-FR-9.php

Anyone building a representation of the camouflaged VZ467 would do well to read the notes in this build article referencing Winstons paint schemes. Apparently VZ467 had very non standard Meteor camouflage & markings in later RAF service and after Delta Jets had the a/c post 1982, it got repainted and marked up yet again in a different  non standard camouflage scheme. Eventually it went 'down under' and is now in HSS I think. There must be a bewideringly variable number of confusing and contradictory images out there.

Thanks for the response. I've already painted the model - in the correct camouflage and applied markings, just needed confirmation on the "Winston".

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AMB said:

Checked all my slides and no sign of the name " Winston" painted on it, so no idea where this came from?

It was painted in the Squadron markings of a unit conected with Winston Churchill for an anniversary event, hence the name Winston..or that what I've read somewhere..

12 hours ago, Shaun said:

It was painted in the Squadron markings of a unit conected with Winston Churchill for an anniversary event, hence the name Winston..or that what I've read somewhere..

I think 10th anniversary flypast of Winston Curchill's death in 1975 was the catalyst but it got cancelled on cost or safety grounds, unsure which. The initial camo paint job and moniker stems from then.

In 1974, Meteor F Mk.8 VZ467 of RAF Chivenor's Towing Flight was repainted with the colours of No.615 (County of Surrey) Squadron RAuxAF as part of a proposed flypast at the centenary birth celebrations of Sir Winston Churchill. Churchill had been the Honorary Commodore of 615 Squadron and it was considered appropriate to repaint the Meteor in their colours. Although the flypast was eventually cancelled, the Meteor remained in the squadron colours for some time, and was affectionately dubbed 'Winston'. The TT Flight's Meteor T Mk.7 was the 'personal'aircraft of the  CO, Gp Capt Ian Pedder following his ejection from a Hunter in July 1973 and allegedly dubbed 'Clementine' - although I can never recall both names actually being applied?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, vampiredave said:

In 1974, Meteor F Mk.8 VZ467 of RAF Chivenor's Towing Flight was repainted with the colours of No.615 (County of Surrey) Squadron RAuxAF as part of a proposed flypast at the centenary birth celebrations of Sir Winston Churchill. Churchill had been the Honorary Commodore of 615 Squadron and it was considered appropriate to repaint the Meteor in their colours. Although the flypast was eventually cancelled, the Meteor remained in the squadron colours for some time, and was affectionately dubbed 'Winston'. The TT Flight's Meteor T Mk.7 was the 'personal'aircraft of the  CO, Gp Capt Ian Pedder following his ejection from a Hunter in July 1973 and allegedly dubbed 'Clementine' - although I can never recall both names actually being applied?

Both aircraft, later served at RAF Brawdy again in target towing role with No 1 TWU.

'Winston' as a reference to that particular a/c was used colloquially at Brawdy as a routine rather than the serial or otherwise. I recall someone saying at the time something along the lines of '..clear the circuit, so-and-so (pilot) is returning in 'Winston' with an engine shut down...'.

Interestingly, I have two photographs of the two TT Flight Meteors in question at Brawdy (I was a Chivenor man!), given to me by Rod Dean. Looking at the Mk.8, I spotted a White inscription on the port side, in white. I tried to enhance it to read it, without success. The Mk.7 is camouflaged, with what looks like the Squadron bars of 111 Squadron flanking the fuselage roundel, ie, Black with Yellow borders. I can't see any inscription.

• Like 1