Little Messerschmitt #47 - 1/72 Tamiya Bf 109 G-6 Hungarian

Well, I'm calling this one done. It is refreshing to build one out of the box after an involved project. It allows you to focus on finishing techniques. There is always something to learn and new techniques to try. It is interesting how your building style changes over time. I look at some of my efforts from five years ago and hardly recognize them. This can be an issue when building a massive collection. The models at the beginning of the line don't bear much resemblance to those at the end. I may have to do some repeats before long.

The in-progress thread can be seen here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/72nd_aircraft/little-messerschmitt-47-tamiya-bf-109-g-6-t11208.html#p109904

49522995978_f57093d74d_3k.jpg

49523512101_fd6bee097a_3k.jpg

49523511996_aa4fbb22b9_3k.jpg

49523512436_3e16dd48fa_3k.jpg

49523731532_44480f5ca4_3k.jpg

49523511706_83cf54e506_3k.jpg

49522995583_16f95e8eb8_3k.jpg

Edited by 109 fan
  • Like 53

I am almost lost for words! I am currently decaling one of these that landed on the shelf of doom a few months back due to running out of enthusiasm for it. I want to go and throw it in the bin now as it could not stand up to such close up photography.

Barry, that is an incredibly beautiful finish you have achieved on the tiny Tamiya kit and I am sure a lot of casual browsers don't realise it is not a 1/32 scale model. I have the same airbrush and use the same paints but clearly don't have the same level of skills you have, bravo for producing another stunning build.

Duncan B

Exquisite! Beautiful model - stunning paintwork, excellent weathering and wonderfully finished - and all the more because it is 1/72! Seriously, it puts many a 1/32 model to shame, mine included! How on earth you can do mottling and freehand camouflage that small is beyond me. Very, very well done.

Cheers

Malcolm

It's a good thing the model is positioned on that hobby cutting mat, otherwise I'd have to consider it bad form to present a 1/32 model as 1/72.
Joking aside; that is one impressive looking model.

26 minutes ago, 109 fan said:

Thank you Andy. I used the Eduard canopy mask. For years I only used Bare Metal Foil, cut in place, for masks. After trying an Eduard pre-cut mask on an earlier 109 build, I was sold.

That still requires skill, the paint job will only as good as the mask, but yes, I've used this mask on the F-104, works really well.

As the others have said, without something to indicate scale, there is NO way  you could tell this was a 1/72 kit- even one of Tamiya quality! About as perfect a model as you can get, and I love the markings you have chosen, which are seldom if ever modeled.

Mike