Heller 1/400 Jeanne d'Arc avec Les Extras

Paul Bradley

Bonjour, mes amis! 

For this, my first ever BM GB, I'll be attempting to complete the venerable Heller 1/400 Jeanne d'Arc, the post-war helicopter carrier/training ship.

49523669802_6c0731dc71_b.jpg003 by Paul Bradley

The Heller kit was first released in 1967; my boxing is the 2012 upgrade, which contains some really nice resin parts and a medium sized PE fret. I bought the kit some years ago, and since then have accumulated a number of extras from the L'Arsenal range, including some nice resin Exocets, and PE doors and extra railings. 

49523451566_cbca9ac2d9_b.jpg002 by Paul Bradley

49522934328_07a0eb981d_b.jpg001 by Paul Bradley

Being a kit of a helicopter carrier, the box includes four Super Frelon, plus the addition for this boxing of a resin Super Puma and two  tiny resin Gazelles. Not sure which I'll use - if there's a way I can use all of them then I shall! Photos of the ship carrying all those types together would be welcome!

As I'm committed to another GB on another forum until the end of February, I shan't be starting this until the beginning of March, but given the relatively simple nature of the ship, and hence the kit, I expect I'll have plenty of time to complete it. 

• Like 9

Cheers, guys - yes, Pat - an actual boat in a navy GB! The novelty!  

Rob - yes, a similar idea to the Fearless, but no loading dock. She had accommodations for a Marine battalion and originally carried 4 LCVPs on her sides but those were removed in the nineties I think. Her main use was as an officer training ship. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Cheers, guys - yes, Pat - an actual boat in a navy GB! The novelty!  

Rob - yes, a similar idea to the Fearless, but no loading dock. She had accommodations for a Marine battalion and originally carried 4 LCVPs on her sides but those were removed in the nineties I think. Her main use was as an officer training ship. 

Good to see, another floaty thing with a deck to land flying things on it :D

If I get my USS Ranger build finished and don't get distracted with a build that has wings, I am thinking about attempting my 1/350 USS New York LHA

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cool - I have this kit too (buried in my storage back home so it'll be a while before I get to try it). This is one that's rarely seen - looking forward to yours.

I quite like this ship - it'd be cool to see it with all the different choppers aboard as you suggest! This photo shows how much space those Super Frelons really need though. 

Good luck!

• Like 1