RNoAF - F-16A - Fujimi 1/72 *** Finished ***

NorwegianWood

Big thanks to Rui Silva for creating a GB Banner that include all the nordic countries. By asking for it and promising to participate in the GB makes me obliged to get a F-16 out of the stash and give it a go. It's been quite some time since I built and finished my last kit but I'll give it a try. The subject is a F-16A, pre-MLU, Fujimi 1/72 kit. The Norwegian F-16s have a rather simple camo, and weathering is also not that prominent due to regularly cleaning 🙂. The decals does not include the squadron fin flashes so I probably will manage without. Otherwise my squadron of choice would have been the 338.

Well, here are some pictures:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

I’ve always wanted to see this kit come together and remember eyeing off this box at my LHS, though not having the funds as a teenager to buy it. Will keep an eye on your progress and wish you the best of luck. Love those Penguins by the way! 

Cheers.. Dave

Thanks for the kind words. Penguins are cool, and they are quite proper for a pre-MLU machine. Not sure yet what config I want to go for, lightweight Air-defense with centerline tank and Sidewinders or heavy as seen on the box with dollytanks and Penguins. Anyway I've done some priming of the external stuff and the cockpit parts.

spacer.png

• Like 5

welcome along and with an F-16, another aircraft that is quite popular in the GB.

I haven't seen this boxing before and I do like the addition of the Penguin's as well........my vote for that version!  :D

...and you have some nice extras to go with her as well....very nice.

Good luck with the build, glad you could join us, will be interesting to follow this one, and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Never realised Fujimi did the F-16 so will watch your progress with interest to see how it comes together. I'm with Rich and vote for the Penguin load as well - anything looks better with a set of FBMs loaded on ;) 

A little more progress. Stocked up with some shades of grey. I have decided to not use the extras, the seat and the stuff for the canopy interior. Going to use the included parts and decals. Put on some grey for interior and some more for the external loads. Hope to get some more done over the weekend, maybe getting the fuselage and the wings together.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Sure the decals will be fine for a 72nd scale cockpit with canopy closed and make for faster progress :) Plus you can use those extras on another kit; do you now need another kit to save wasting them? :hmmm: ;)  :wicked:

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Sure the decals will be fine for a 72nd scale cockpit with canopy closed and make for faster progress :) Plus you can use those extras on another kit; do you now need another kit to save wasting them? :hmmm: ;)  :wicked:

If I read you correct you seem to have an overflow of 1/72 Falcons in the stash? 😆🤔 Well, I'm almost there myself, not an overflow but I have the Hasegawa Tiger Meet double with both A and B model so the seats and the interior could be put to good use there. I actually need to keep it easy as I may be running short of time. Most of march will be spent working or sleeping ( maybe put in some sleep at work??? 🤣🤪) Easter break may fix it!

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I have done a bit more on the F-16. And it's been more building / painting than updating of the build thread. Cockpit went together ok, wings and fin are on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Several layers of grey have been tested, the instructions called for FS 36270 but I was not pleased with it. After trying several different greys I have now settled for Italeri FS 36300 (4762AP Flat light ghost grey). It looks ok to me. Grey come in, as we all know, several shades and will look very differently in different light conditions. So I'm not to fussy about getting the absolutely 110% correct code for the grey. Some more pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And in line with the GB theme, a good cup of coffe:

spacer.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I like your weight!! I've used a few of those in the past as well! :D

Was thinking the same :D 

• 2 weeks later...

On to the final lap of this GB. Decals on, they needed a good couple of minutes in the water to get loose, but were ok to work with. The kit is probably some years old (Scalemates say it's from 1985), that may be the explanation. 

spacer.png

I'm going for 4x -9 missiles, 2x Penguins and 2x Dollytanks.

spacer.png

Matt varnish next and some pics for the gallery tomorrow.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Vingtor said:

The nose seems a bit too dark. Should be nearly the same colour as the rest of the fuselage.

Yes I'm aware of that. The nose radomes seems to be of different colors, depending on age and usage I guess. By any chance do you have good color codes for the main airframe, radome and missiles? FS-code, Humbrol, Revell and so on ?? I would really appreciate that.

Originally, the fuselage was FS 26270. This has later been changed to FS 36270 (same colour but matt instead of semimatt). The radome is not painted but a composite material matched to FS 26270. This darkens somewhat with time, depending on treatment. For Norwegian aircraft, the radomes stay rather late, but I have seen aircraft from other  countries that are quite dark. Most external equipment (wingtip missile rails, pylons, fuel tanks) are FS 36375 (as on the standard USAF scheme). Penguin missiles and adapters should be FS 26270, I think.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Vingtor. I should actually be a little ashamed because I happen to know at least one person that has painted small and large patches of the outer surface of the Norwegian F-16s. But I haven't got around to ask him of the colorcodes for the paint. But I am pretty sure you have good and correct knowledge of that subject. And I have been around and up close the F-16s enough to know that there are a lot of shades of grey (The light does it all, indoor / outdoor / sunny / overcast and so on). 

Reading my post over again, the term "the radomes stay rather late" should be "the radomes stay rather light"..... 🤥

Ok, so the F-16 is done and ready for the gallery. Vallejo and Italeri colours, Humbrol Clear before the decals were applied and Humbrol Satin varnish from spraycan to give it the final  finish. 658 served both in Bodø and at Ørland during the pre-MLU years (-80 and -90s). To bad that the decals didn't include the squadron fin-flashesthat the RNoAF used during that period. One pic here, the rest in the gallery.

spacer.png

• Like 3

• NorwegianWood changed the title to RNoAF - F-16A - Fujimi 1/72 *** Finished ***

well done on completing her, I noticed she was done while checking for updates in the gallery! :thumbsup:

It's great to see another F-16 in the gallery....I must send my minion @Col. into the gallery to do a tally of builds, I think the F-16 was a popular choice.

Thank you for joining the GB I hope you enjoyed the build, it was great to have you along. :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, trickyrich said:

...I must send my minion @Col. into the gallery to do a tally of builds, I think the F-16 was a popular choice.

Translation - Rich thinks doing a tally would be good but can't be bothered doing it himself as he's too busy in other GBs :rolleyes:

• Like 1