Airfix HMS King George V

Worms

Cheers Jamie,

I convinced myself to go for a dark deck as I found a few pictures of POW that had incredibly dark decks just after her commissioning so the time period is right plus, I found this on the IWM site (© IWM (A 125)
id: 727416).

It's of HMS Rodney in 1940 and is entitled "Sailors scrubbing the deck..." but as you can see, their hands are stained in something very dark...

tW1pc5.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Worms said:

Cheers Jamie,

I convinced myself to go for a dark deck as I found a few pictures of POW that had incredibly dark decks just after her commissioning so the time period is right plus, I found this on the IWM site (© IWM (A 125)
id: 727416).

It's of HMS Rodney in 1940 and is entitled "Sailors scrubbing the deck..." but as you can see, their hands are stained in something very dark...

I'd need to check back through my files but I think we could date the Prince of Wales photograph to within one week or less - the activity of deck darkening was recorded in the ship's log. It was within a couple of weeks of heading out with HMS Hood to the Denmark Strait.

Most of the capital ships would have had their decks darkened.

• Thanks 1

And a couple of shots, admittedly of extremes of lighting that can really confuse the issue.  Not much contrast in the first photo...

G1pV7u.jpg

But a huge difference in the second. The (well my version of) 507a,almost looks like pale grey!

UGP7MZ.jpg

But believe me it is pretty dark. In some lights it looks really blue, in others, very grey...pretty good camouflage I suppose!

• Like 5

I've read all of the research that you have put into these paints Jamie and looked at thousands of photos and thought...hmmm, I'm not sure but, when you experiment with lighting and take into consideration the effects of old film, different conditions and mess about with paints and see what happens in different lights it really is amazing.  You can reproduce effects seen in some old photos...amazing. Thanks very, very much for all the effort you have put in. 

I feel guilty that I haven't bought your paints now. Any likelihood of producing your paints in acrylics?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Drilling out those gun barrels looks like hard work Worms.

And I echo your request for Colourcoats in acrylics,  clean up is so much easier than cleaning enamels.

I was looking for brass barrels in 1/600 but at 30 dollars a pop plus postage I thought I would try a 0.023" drill bit...quite happy so far!

Acrylics are not only easier to clean up, they dry really quickly and, they mix really well. I am limited to a  couple of model shops locally, all of which supply Tamiya acrylics which are almost foolproof...they must be! 😁

• Like 2

This is a really great thread on the ship. I won the Tamiya POW some years ago and it's in the stash awaiting the same answers to the same questions.

Keep it up 

Colin 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Worms said:

Acrylics are not only easier to clean up, they dry really quickly and, they mix really well.

You should probably try our existing ones with our thinner - it's hard to imagine anything easier to clean up or better for mixing, and speaking purely for myself I couldn't make use of anything faster drying - I can mask and move on to the next colour by the time I've flushed through the airbrush. It does need a certain technique of repeated mist coats rather than spraying it on like wet concrete into a mould admittedly!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Amazing how quickly things progress when you remove the masking tape! The armour belt presents a problem with masking and  paint bleeding and there are a few places that will need a touch up. The boot topping could be straighter and parallel too 😁.

The deck and all superstructure is just dry fitted at the moment. Loads of photo etch to do now....that'll probably slow me down!

snvFw5.jpg

• Like 10

Gidday Worms, when you work out how to get dead straight parallel boot topping be sure to let me know. I've done about thirty of them and have yet to get one perfect. But then if I did, there'd be no room for improvement. 😁 Bleeding under tape at locations such as edges of armour belts, prop shaft struts etc always happen to me, requiring touch-up.  I know there are other methods of boot topping, such as decals, tape, but I've not tried them. Call me faithful to my old methods, set in my ways, stubborn, downright pigheadedly obstinate!

She's looking good, and will no doubt look better with your PE. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

Ha ha, cheers Jeff,  having just been looking at NotDaMama's Nelson thread I'm glad I picked KGV! The fit and detail is pretty good...in fact the fit is quite tight in places.

Boot topping....think I'll make  a submarine next !

5 hours ago, NotDaMama said:

You've made some massive progress on this, very impressive work! If I manage to make Nelson's paint come out that well I'll be beyond pleased. 

Thanks a lot, but judging by the progress you have made so far on that rather vague kit (I had a look at my Nelson last night and very rapidly opened another bottle of wine!) I should imagine that the paintwork will be very relaxing! 😉

• Like 1

In between tending the sheep, working, and holding off on everything to watch England play a  fabulous game against Ireland in the six nations (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿👍🍾)....I was researching KGV's radar types.

It would appear that the type 279 on both masts isn't represented in the kit, nor in Tom's Modelworks PE...oh well scratching it is the only way forward 😳

Steps?! Nobody said anything about steps in this scale! 😳 I have enough trouble with flash and strange sprue and unusual shapes and an inability for the kit to have even one straight line, and now you're telling me these things need steps!?! I need to take up drinking again...:crosseyed:

Nice work though. 

Did you paint the railings before or after installation? 

• Like 3

Ha ha, well, I paint them first but find that bending and twiddling makes some of the paint come off so I fix them and then touch them up.

This was an awkward bit to bend!

eWFeak.jpg

• Like 1