Tonka model for a TonkaGuy

TonkaGuy

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking here a while and haven’t posted much or commented much at that. So first up a big hello and carry on with the fantastic modelling. Some exquisite aircraft on here! 
I am en ex Tonka Techie and feel like I should build a model of one to go with my leaving gifts et. My question is with regards to scale and cost.

I would like to build a GR4 in one of the retirement schemes and I have a very special diorama planned for it. Having not built aircraft scale models for nearly 15 years I have no idea which kit/scale to choose. 
My question is which scale and which particular kit would I get the most bang for my buck with? I don’t want to go OTT in aftermarket, only decals if possible. In fact, I want to build OOB if and do a little scratch building if required. 

The Revell GR. 4 is probably your least-worst starting point.  It’s not bad overall but there are problems and pitfalls.  @general melchett did a quite extensive “Work in Progress” thread on this kit when it was new, wait ‘til later in the year as it’s due to be reissued with decals for the retirement schemes.

Italeri did a GR. 1/IDS/ECR kit a few years ago which is generally good but also has a few “gotchas”; the fin root leading edge around the heat exchanger is a bit dodgy and the external stores are also a bit suspect in terms of shape.

Hobby Boss also did a GR. 1 but there are significant shape issues around the cockpit and front fuselage and, from memory, they have the thrust reverser buckets at half-travel.

If you find one give the Airfix kits a wide berth: they are quite basic although the stores and decals might find good homes on some of the other kits.

• Like 1

There have been quite a few Revell GR.4s and F.3s built here in the last couple of years. Have a read and don't make the same mistakes we have! It's a nice kit but there are some issues.

Revel 1/48th  GR4 is the best kit, the Revel 1/72nd GR1 with an added GR4  FLIR chin sensor for a smaller scale.

The 1/48th kit is a challenge to assemble,  just dry fit and take your time. 

I found not following the instruction sequence the best way to get a good fit.

The Revell 1/48 GR4 is a very nice model. It can be a bit of a test during construction, it takes a bit of time and thought, and a bit of filler. It's worth the effort though. I wouldn't even touch any of the older kits. If your wanting 1/72 try the Revell GR1, it's also a decent little kit.

Here is a photo of My 1/48 GR4. I used an after market pitot and PE cockpit. I was that happy with It that I went out and bought another, and the F3 for good measure.

spacer.png

• Like 2