Classic Heller GB 3 Oct 2020 - 24 Jan 2021

Wez

It's been pointed out by one of your fellow vehicle modellers that many of you have or are making Heller kits so can I draw your attention to the Classic Heller GB which is this year's classic GB scheduled to run between 3rd Oct 2020 to the 24th Jan 2021.

Classic GBs are intended to encourage us to delve into the stash and pull out a kit that's been lurking there for some time, dust it off and build it!  Quite simple really.

This year the Classic Heller GB allows you to build any original Heller mould that was released before the relationship with Humbrol went wobbly, this means any original Heller mould released before 1986.

In addition to Heller releases it can be another manufacturer's release of the Heller mould, this includes (but not limited to), Airfix, Revell, Encore, KP, SMER and Buzco to name but a few, other manufacturers kits in Heller boxes are ineligible I'm afraid.

I'm on the look out for a suitable subject from Heller's 1/43rd scale series for this GB so will be popping in here for more hints and tips.  There's plenty of car, motorcycles and truck kits in Heller's range so there's plenty of choice and I'm sure many of you can find something in the stash.  Don't worry if the decals are shot, aftermarket goodies are permitted.

Come and join us!

• Like 1

Had a look in the stash and I've only got one Heller kit and that's the Peugot 205 EV2 rally car, looking on Scalemates at the timeline  it is a reboxed version from the Bobcat Heller turbo 16 tool in the '80s with added parts in the '90s so I'm unsure whether it's eligible or not 🤔 It doesn't seem as clear as when we did the Frog classic build

Ian :) 

4 hours ago, Redstaff said:

It doesn't seem as clear as when we did the Frog classic build

That's because Frog made some kits and then ceased trading, the Heller picture is less clear because they continued to make kits but the relationship with Humbrol muddies the waters which is why we've agreed to set the cut off point as kits released before 1986.

Edited by Wez

1 hour ago, Wez said:

That's because Frog made some kits and then ceased trading, the Heller picture is less clear because they continued to make kits but the relationship with Humbrol muddies the waters which is why we've agreed to set the cut off point as kits released before 1986.

Aha, I decided to enter with the Canadair CL-415.  I believe that this was originally released in 1999, so if I want to continue with that theme, maybe I should do the CL-215 instead.  I have both kits.

Edited by JosephLalor

8 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

Aha, I decided to enter with the Canadair CL-415.  I believe that this was originally released in 1999, so if I want to continue with that theme, maybe I should do the CL-215 instead.  I have both kits.

The CL-415 is a modification of the original CL-215 mould from 1980.  Personally, I prefer the look of the piston engined CL-215.

However, this thread is in the vehicles section so...

On 12/02/2020 at 18:49, Redstaff said:

I'll give it a miss then as I'm not sure on the initial date as it says 198+ on scalemates for the initial tooling 

Ian 😁

A fellow modeller has checked through the official Heller history and has confirmed it was a 1986 kit, just out of the scope of this GB sadly.

Hopefully there'll be some other vehicle modellers with a Heller kit lurking in their stashes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wez said:

A fellow modeller has checked through the official Heller history and has confirmed it was a 1986 kit, just out of the scope of this GB sadly.

Hopefully there'll be some other vehicle modellers with a Heller kit lurking in their stashes.

Thanks for clarifying wez :) at least I know now. It will get built at some point

TBH this is the only Heller kit I have and I got this on a whim to go alongside the Tamiya 205 rally turbo 16, nothing else ever took my fancy in their range

In fact I don't think I've ever made a Heller kit as they were never that obtainable in the UK when I was younger. Airfix and Matchbox were my fall back kits until I could afford the Tamiya, Hasegawa offerings 

Ian :) 

1 minute ago, Redstaff said:

In fact I don't think I've ever made a Heller kit as they were never that obtainable in the UK when I was younger. Airfix and Matchbox were my fall back kits until I could afford the Tamiya, Hasegawa offerings 

I too grew up on Airfix and Matchbox but Heller suddenly appeared when I really got into modelling during my early teens during the very early eighties- Hasegawa and Tamiya were rarer than hen's teeth around our way back then.

Good luck with your 205 project whenever you choose to do it.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I got this on a whim to go alongside the Tamiya 205 rally turbo 16, nothing else ever took my fancy in their range

Whilst your Heller Bobcat Peugeot 205 might not be eligible for this year's Heller Classic GB, both of your 205's would be welcome in the proposed French Fancy 2 GB for 2021...   ...just sayin' right :whistle:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just giving this one a bump! If you've never participated in a Group Build before, consider joining the Heller Classic GB which starts in one month. We're at 90 participants now so this one is going to be huge! 

Like @Wez said, all original Heller mouldings from before 1986 are elligible. 

On 11/02/2020 at 19:08, Wez said:

This year the Classic Heller GB allows you to build any original Heller mould that was released before the relationship with Humbrol went wobbly, this means any original Heller mould released before 1986.

In addition to Heller releases it can be another manufacturer's release of the Heller mould, this includes (but not limited to), Airfix, Revell, Encore, KP, SMER and Buzco to name but a few, other manufacturers kits in Heller boxes are ineligible I'm afraid.

You'll have four months to build your kit so plenty of time 🙂 

See you there!

• 4 weeks later...

Ladies and Gents

The Classic Heller Group Build, is now open, link below. This is an opportunity to celebrate Hellers kits and more importantly build that Heller Classic Car / Truck kit that has been in the stash for ages.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/705-heller-classic-gb/

If you haven't taken part in a Group Build before I would encourage you to give it a look, it's really enjoyable with lots of encouragement and support from the other participants.

Vehicle models have always under represented on Group Builds so this is an opportunity to show what people have been missing.

Kind regards Pat 

8 minutes ago, dbostream said:

I will join the next one that allows cars, the only Heller kit I have that I think I could finish in time is already about 50% done.

Might I suggest the Nordic II GB? Seems appropriate considering your location 🙂 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Might I suggest the Nordic II GB? Seems appropriate considering your location 🙂 

Thanks for the suggestion. Seems like the perfect opportunity to build my first truck. Although it is tempting to enter with a IKEA flat-pack.

6 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Seems like the perfect opportunity to build my first truck. Although it is tempting to enter with a IKEA flat-pack.

It has been done before so why not 🙂