Matchbox Curtis Helldiver I.1/72

stevej60

Hi folk's.number three is another Matchbox oldie in the form of the original Helldiver on a classic yellow wings scheme this is the last of my three planned builds if all

goes well time wise  I have a few in the stash,Skyray,Vigilante,Gannet,to name a few.

20200211_112503

• Like 20

39 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I’ve been looking forward to this one, will be good to see what you do with it!

Rob

Cheers Rob,I'm planning to rig this build fingers crossed.

33 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

As you know I've got a couple of these in the stash Steve so I'll be following your build with great interest.

Matchbox really did some superb biplanes Craig,just been looking this and the Sea Fox over amazing how much nice detail gets missed over the sometimes

weird coloured plastic!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folk's,with the Corsairs coming along nicely but time marching on I thought I'd better get number two build going,not a lot of reference around for

the original Helldiver but what there is shows a busy affair so with only a floor and two seats supplied a bit of scratch building needed.

20200308_201139

• Like 11

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work Steve, the extra details you have added to the cockpit really have made a great difference.

Cheers Craig, I was thinking this morning what great kits these biplanes are it's like a separate companies product compared to some of their other kits.

• Like 1

Afternoon folk's after a clean up of the seams on with the primer last night.

20200313_102438

This morning I gave her two thin brushes of silver enamel which dried quickly so just brushed on a couple of coats of blue after masking,Matchbox

don't give you the decals needed so you have to paint these area's for accuracy it also means sourcing some white decal strip for the outer edges.

should look better after a nice coat of gloss.

20200313_141338

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 9

Looking fantastic Steve

when I first saw the last few photos I was wondering why you’d painted the wings yellow then overpainted them in grey. Forgot about multicoloured Matchbox plastic!

• Like 2

Afternoon folk's,upper wing fitted and a wash ran into the few panel lines.the front cockpit struts need teasing into place but I'll leave the wing to

dry for at least a day or two.

20200321_145948

• Like 6

Putting this on hold for now looking back I would have fitted the top wing before I painted the underside four times now despite leaving it for

24 hours it just keeps coming of even superglue isn't getting a bite on the enamel paint it was getting to the throw against the wall stage so

best to box her up and leave alone! 

• Sad 2

Try scraping the paint off back to the bare plastic with a scalpel. You might also have to sand off any superglue as it will interfere with plastic cement. Or more correctly not react with it. You should then be able to use plastic cement/solvent of your choice to glue it up. I have an Aeroclub Fairey Flycatcher with the same problem   And it's being sitting in a box with the upper wing finally on but no undercarriage yet. Good luck with it, it's too nice a plane to abandon. 

• Like 2