Airfix LTV Corsair II.****Finished******

stevej60

Hi folks,sticking with the oldies theme for this GB first up is one of my all time favourite Airfix kits.I have two of these this one courtesy of @GREG DESTEC which was

much nicer in molding and better decals than my original.This is the one I'll start with.

20200211_112940

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 14

Wow thats a lovely oldie from early 1970s!  I built a fair few of these and used the then well known Microscale decals for them when I was 'into' USN stuff. Look forward to seeing end result.

HAsegawa did the A-7A that was also reboxed by FROG I recall.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Not sure I've ever seen one of these built Steve so I'm very interested to see how it goes together.

Thanks Craig,these early boxing's are great a very matt plastic and the fine panel lines nice and crisp which was lost on later boxing's,better in my

opinion than Hasegawa's  but overshadowed by Esci's recessed lined 80's tooling.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Wonderful choice @stevej60

With all that ordnance whats not to like !

Remarkably i dont have one of these in the stash......... yet !

cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat,yes quite the mud mover when on the prowl over Vietnam the other version in the box is a USAF SEA scheme which will do for the other kit.

• Like 1

Hi all,time to kick off with build number one,just oob with this one tape harness and a scratch built joystick,there's no bulkhead behind the seat

hence the black paint a dry run of the fuselage and it's  done the trick.

20200216_185839

• Like 9

Hi Steve,

When In Detail and Scale issued their vol 22 Corsair II book back in 1986 they felt this was the best A7 kit about at the time, though they were only comparing it then with the Hasegawa, Revell and Matchbox offerings, and thought the anticipated Fujimi release would be better.  They do say that it cannot really be built as the D version as there is no USAF style refuelling receptacle, and that the weapons should perhaps be replaced with the Hasegawa boxed set ones. In common with all the kits then available it lacked interior and wheel well detail and the landing gear was not too accurate, but at least I gather Airfix give both a USN and USAF version of the nose gear. I still have a Hasegawa and Matchbox version in my stash and I see Hobby Boss are doing several versions.

This is one of those Airfix kits I never seem to have noticed - must have had my modelling brain switched off in the 1980's as I had not been married long, was starting a family, and had major problems in work resulting in a 60+ hour week! Also, my wife had unwisely bought me a train set and within 15 years I had over 60 locos and a big layout so my interests were temporarily elsewhere. Sadly the layout had eventually to go to make more room in the house and the locos and rolling stock are either in display cabinets or boxes in the roof.

Good luck with the build.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, PeterB said:

good luck with the build.

Thanks Pete,I had a look at some reference photo's and think with a bit of clever painting and detailing I can get away with the wings folded so that's the intention.

• Like 1

Morning folks,looking at the options and photo's I have gone for fuel tanks on the inner,bombs on the middle and  empty outer pylons with wings folded.

she's gone together well with no filler so far.

20200217_112316

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Morning folks,looking at the options and photo's I have gone for fuel tanks on the inner,bombs on the middle and  empty outer pylons with wings folded.

she's gone together well with no filler so far.

20200217_112316

I remember seeing this kit even before I started modelling for real, but I didn't actually get it until it was re-boxed by Heller in the early 1990s. I notice you've got plenty of masking tape keeping the two halves of the nose aligned. From dry-fitting checks with my own kit, I I've seen some warping around the nose that will require serious attention whenever I get around to building it.

• Like 1

Always loved the SLUF.  Was a bit disappointed that they had already been fully replaced by Bugs by the time I got on the decks.  Forward technical progress I suppose. 

• Like 1

Morning folk's.last night I got the seams cleaned up and the u/c and doors fitted so really weather permitting shes ready for priming which has to

be done outside,a dry run of the wing fold gives an Idea how she'll sit when done,I'm liking the look already.

20200218_075852

• Like 7

Nice choice, My brother built one for my Grandma back in the 70's and everytime we visited I got to take it out and play with it, brings back some great memories! Looking forward to seeing this build up.

Bob

• Like 1

Hi folk's,I was browsing Hannants for some F-16 decals and noticed a set of Corsair decals for the other kit I have so I'm going to build it in this thread

as a "Stingers" machine,the bonus was it contains a Sundowners scheme for the Phantom and I have a decal-less Airfix old tool in the stash so time

permitting I may do it last later in the GB

• Like 3

Morning folks,yet another storm has blown in wreaking havoc on the country and my spraying plans so the second kit is in the process of catching up

with the original as I may as well paint them together.I had already painted the cockpit a while back so this morning fitted the pylons to the fully extended

wing's,as this one will be fully "tooled" up.I love the description on the box as a "light" attack aircraft,I personally would hate to have come in for a light attack

by one of these damn things!

20200221_110445

• Like 7
  • Haha 2