Hawaiian 🌺 Airbus A321neo in 1/144

I present my Revell Airbus A321neo in the Hawaiian livery N202HA. Pualani looks truly stunning on this striking livery, with a vibrant blend of colour, it truly is the ‘flower of the sky’. This lovely bird is powered by the  Pratt & Whitney PurePower Geared Turbofan (GTF) engines, and with Airbus’s latest aerodynamics it makes the A321neo one of the most fuel efficient aircraft in the series. They are used on routes from the Hawaiian Islands to the West coast of the USA in a 2 class configuration with its ETOPS rating. 

The build was OOB with the decals coming from Jon at 8A Decals and Authentic Airliners. The Revell A321neo kit is excellent, and I like the changes they have made to the original A321 kit. With the cockpit canopy, it helps provide a better fit and is a lot less fiddlier, the etching detailing is a lot more detailed as well, and the 3D door skirts is a nice feature. The wing box assembly is also very similar to the Zvezda Airbus kits, and this also helps to eliminate the need for trimming, fitting and adjusting as required. I also like the new way of attaching the horizontal stabilisers, it helps to provide a much better and cleaner fit all round. The kit comes with both the Pratt & Whitney GTF and the CFM Leap engine options, and also 3 different satcom antennas (although Hawaiian doesn’t have one on their current A321neo fleet). The paints used were Halfords Appliance White for the fuselage & Engine Nacelles, Holts Grey for the Wings and stabs and my own blend of Revell Aqua 374 for the coroguard. The metals and tyres are a mix of Revell Aqua colours. 

The decals are truly stunning with a high attention to detail, and very vibrant colours. They fit excellently to the model, and really help to bring this ship to life. The Revell kit decals are as excellent as usual from Daco. I think this may be one of my favourite models I’ve made, and it’s inspiring me to build more of the Neo kits.

As always thank you for looking and all comments and constructive feedback are always welcome. 

Regards,

Alistair  

Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo Hawaiian A321neo

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful NEO and an eye catching colour scheme too.

My A321NEO has stalled a bit due to the less than wonderful fit of the clear flight deck cap - mine seemed to be too narrow at the edges so I've had to build up the sides with filler and that has sapped my enthusiasm a bit. Other than that, it is a pretty decent kit.

I like the colour scheme. How well did it fit aroud the back end?

Jeff

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

That is stunningly beautiful @Scotsman07!  Truly a work of art.

DennisTheBear

Thank you very much, that’s a really great compliment to hear about the build. 

Alistair

1 hour ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Beautiful NEO and an eye catching colour scheme too.

My A321NEO has stalled a bit due to the less than wonderful fit of the clear flight deck cap - mine seemed to be too narrow at the edges so I've had to build up the sides with filler and that has sapped my enthusiasm a bit. Other than that, it is a pretty decent kit.

I like the colour scheme. How well did it fit aroud the back end?

Jeff

Hey Jeff

I must admit i did find the cockpit canopy to be slightly awkward to fit, and some filling was required so I feel your pain. I agree, it is an alright kit, and an improvement on the old, but tiring, faithful Airbus kits from Revell. It was a pretty good fit to be fair... the Microset helped to soften the decal enough to conform to the fuselage. It’s probably not perfect but it’s blended well. What scheme have you opted for on your A321neo?

Regards,

Alistair

• Like 1

Hi Al,

Thanks for providing reassurance that I wasn't being clumsy with the flight deck cap!

My NEO will hopefully wear the garish green of S7 Airlines. I'm currently trying to decide on the correct shades of green.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

Hi Alistair. Unless I'm much mistaken you take the prize for the first completed A321 Neo on Britmodeller and what an absolute beauty! Jon really does make some lovely decals and you have certainly got the best out of the gorgeous Hawaiian scheme.

My Neo is still in its box but it should emerge in SATA Air Açores livery in due course. Glad to hear that it is largely a problem-free build.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

My NEO will hopefully wear the garish green of S7 Airlines. I'm currently trying to decide on the correct shades of green.

Jeff

That's something to look forward to Jeff. If you haven't seen it this might help your search for the colour. I was amazed to discover that the current and previous S7 schemes were both designed by Landor Associates of British Airways grey/dark blue fame!

Dave G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moa said:

Fantastic finish, lovely build.

We fly to Hawaii (American, same plane I believe) with certain regularity, and they really stand out on the tarmac.

You have done a very neat job there.

Cheers

Thank you very much, my Wife is very jealous, that’s her dream destination one day if we ever get there. 
Regards,

Alistair

3 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Have to some of my airliners built. This one is excellent, like the tarmac or apron, whatever it's called to.

Thank you very much, you are right, it is the apron 😃. I look forward to seeing your airliner builds in the future 😃.

Regards,

Alistair

2 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Hi Al,

Thanks for providing reassurance that I wasn't being clumsy with the flight deck cap!

Jeff

I really like the S7 scheme and was very tempted to do a build myself, but like you struggled to match the green shades. I look forward to seeing your finished model 😀.

Regards,

Alistair

1 hour ago, Michael51 said:

Alistair,

It looks superb. That livery is one of the brightest in the sky - without being tacky.

Michael

Hi Michael

Thank you 😀. No that doesn’t sound tacky I know what you mean. It’s a lovely scheme, with just enough colour and detail, without being too flamboyant.

Regards,

Alistair

1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

A fabulous A321 there Sir.

Thank you 👍🏻

17 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Hi Alistair. Unless I'm much mistaken you take the prize for the first completed A321 Neo on Britmodeller and what an absolute beauty! Jon really does make some lovely decals and you have certainly got the best out of the gorgeous Hawaiian scheme.

My Neo is still in its box but it should emerge in SATA Air Açores livery in due course. Glad to hear that it is largely a problem-free build.

Dave G

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much. Oh wow that’s a cool prize to receive, do I get a trophy 🏆 😂? He really does produce some great decals, I want one of ever sheet in his collection, if I only had the space to display them all. 

I am really looking forward to seeing your completed A321neo in that excellent livery. 

Regards,

Alistair

3 minutes ago, Moa said:

It's much easier (i.e. affordable) from here. From California, Hawaii is a (very forceful) stone throw away.

Haha... can we come and stay with you then 😃. From the UK it’s a hell of a journey, connect  either through Vegas or LAX

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

That's something to look forward to Jeff. If you haven't seen it this might help your search for the colour. I was amazed to discover that the current and previous S7 schemes were both designed by Landor Associates of British Airways grey/dark blue fame!

Dave G

1 hour ago, Scotsman07 said:

I really like the S7 scheme and was very tempted to do a build myself, but like you struggled to match the green shades. I look forward to seeing your finished model 😀.

Regards,

Alistair

Gulp, the pressure!! I'll  have a good read of the liked article Dave and take on-board any suggestions - I was looking at the Molotow website a few days ago a saw some likely contenders for the green. It's still a few weeks away from finishing as I've got 9 other models in the final stages of completion. 

Jeff 

• Like 1

Looks stunning Alistair!

Just got the same kit.  Nice and crisp!  

Unfortunately Hermes trashed the box whilst taking five days to deliver a next day delivery parcel.  The kit is ok save for a couple of pieces that have come off the sprue.  The decal sheet has a hole punched in the ‘NEO’ decal that is meant to go underneath the fuselage.

currently debating whether to return it, ask Revell for a new decal sheet or hunt for aftermarket decals.

Thinking about the latter.  I see 8A have a handful including the stunning Hawaiian set you have used but other than that A321neo decals are thin on the ground.

Whatever happens, if it’s even half as good as yours i’ll be happy!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Looks stunning Alistair!

Just got the same kit.  Nice and crisp!  

Unfortunately Hermes trashed the box whilst taking five days to deliver a next day delivery parcel.  The kit is ok save for a couple of pieces that have come off the sprue.  The decal sheet has a hole punched in the ‘NEO’ decal that is meant to go underneath the fuselage.

currently debating whether to return it, ask Revell for a new decal sheet or hunt for aftermarket decals.

Thinking about the latter.  I see 8A have a handful including the stunning Hawaiian set you have used but other than that A321neo decals are thin on the ground.

Whatever happens, if it’s even half as good as yours i’ll be happy!

Thank you very much 😀. It is a really nice kit and I’m sorry to hear of your experience with the delivery of the kit. I had an A319 arrive damaged from Amazon, they were excellent, they replaced the whole kit at no extra expense to myself. 

I highly recommend the decals from 8A, I think with the Neo kits being quite new on the market, their aren’t many decals available but I reckon that will pick up. I hope you enjoy building yours and I look forward to seeing it in RFI in the future 👍🏻.

Regards,

Alistair

• Like 1

Hi Alistair,

What a lovely model in a smart livery! The grey leaves on the fuselage must be a new addition I'm sure their 767s didn't have them.

Glad to hear the 8a decals work well, I wouldn't mind getting some of his sets but not got around to it yet. Also want to get the new Revell Neo kits too. I nearly got an  A321 at a recent model show but didn't, I wish I had because it looks nice. Might wait until the A320 comes out with undercarriage though. Not that I need any more A320s!

What colour paint did you use for the ring just in front of the fans?

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

Thank you very much 😀. It is a really nice kit and I’m sorry to hear of your experience with the delivery of the kit. I had an A319 arrive damaged from Amazon, they were excellent, they replaced the whole kit at no extra expense to myself. 

I highly recommend the decals from 8A, I think with the Neo kits being quite new on the market, their aren’t many decals available but I reckon that will pick up. I hope you enjoy building yours and I look forward to seeing it in RFI in the future 👍🏻.

Regards,

Alistair

Going to keep an eye on the 8A site.  Will be a while before I get around to building it.  Got an A319, A380 and a 777 on the (very slow) production line.  Hopefully there will be new decals out by then....  And hopefully the A320neo with an undercarriage!

Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing what you roll out next!

• Thanks 1

Very nice work there Alistair, I hope to see these one NEOs in the flesh later in the year when I trip to Honolulu again. The Hawaiian scheme is rather elegant IMHO.

I have an A330 to do in the previous Hawaiian scheme to represent an aircraft we flew on a couple of years ago. I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1