Tim's Vigilante - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

this is what I bought in 2002.

Vigilante-Parts.jpg

With these options.

Vigilante-Options.jpg

Hope it's all there.

Edited 14 Feb 2020:   I've just discovered the crew are AWOL,  the rest looks good though.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
Crew absconded
  • Like 9

Wings fitted.

Vigilante-Wings.jpg

For those that don't know,  this is an RA-5C. 

The Vigilante startedservice as the A-5, a carrier-borne nuclear bomber.  The bomb bay was a long tube between the engines, exiting from that cover right at the back.

The bomb was installed into the tube between two fueltanks, the whole combination being shot out the back at release.  Highly inovative.

• Like 5

On 2/18/2020 at 3:52 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

The Vigilante startedservice as the A-5

(cough) A3-J (cough) 🙂

One of these days I want to backdate an RA-5C to the earliest version, hence the pedantry.  

You're moving right along with this build.  The older one turned out well enough; what with modern technology we got now this 'un ought to be a cracker.

1 hour ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

(cough) A3-J (cough) 🙂

One of these days I want to backdate an RA-5C to the earliest version, hence the pedantry.  

You're moving right along with this build.  The older one turned out well enough; what with modern technology we got now this 'un ought to be a cracker.

A3-J   -  I stand corrected.

I've read about the linear bomb-bay - but can't find any film of it being used on U-Tube.

The only A-5A kit I can find is the Monogram kit. 

I'm not considering any other Vigilante builds, far too many other kits in my stash need building.

• Like 1

Hi Tim,

I seem to remember that the B-58 Hustler also carried its Nuke in conjunction with a fuel tank, but unlike the Vigilante it was of course mounted externally. By all accounts there were problems with the tunnel installation as one of the tanks would sometimes break loose on catapuliting and fall out! When it did work the tanks on either end of the bomb were supposed to stabilize it but I gather it actually wobbled a fair bit and was not accurate - not that was a problem with a nuke I suppose. I too have not seen any film of them dropping one.

As I have already said in Reini's Vigilante thread, there are certain similarities between the Vig and the Mirage IV. Both were designed as supersonice nuclear bombers and had somewhat limited convential capability, so both ended up as photo planes. Of course the French kept the Mirage as a nuclear bomber a lot longer, until it was replaced by the Mirage 2000N I believe, so only a small number were converted to IVP. More on that when I build one in the Heller Classic GB I suspect. My old Airfix Vig is currently in bits waiting to be refurbed - I have an Aeroclub metal u/c and 2 sheets of decs having double ordered, so if you need any let me know, though your sheet looks OK..

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

So - this morning's session - airbrushed Revell SM371.

Revell-SM371.jpg

As you can see, I've filled the pylon location holes - this will be a clean built.

Then went out to see A4 Union of South Africa on Pad-Worc excursion, on my nearby railway.

Masked after lunch.

Vigilante-Masked-U.jpg

Vigilante-Masked-L.jpg

Then airbrushed Humbrol 140.

Vigilante-H140.jpg

Grand unmask and reveal later tonight.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Thanks - I had no idea about that control system for rolling.

Anyway, decals

Decals-P.jpg

Joined RVAH-9 Hoot Owls  on USS Ranger.

Decals-S.jpg

• Like 6

Underside, camera sensors, and undercarriage. 

Nosegear door appears to be a cycle door.  Closed up for launch and landing, open for retraction and lowering - and when pressure drops whilst parked. 

Hence mine is closed.  Just landed excuse.

Underside.jpg

Very near to the end now.  Matted down.

Port.jpg

Just a few details left for tomorrow.

Stbd.jpg

Jetpipe and tail details.  Appears to be metal sheet on the tailcone, to protect from heat of the jets.

Tail.jpg

• Like 6