A-4 Skyhawk in 1:48

Chris Bessant

4 hours ago, PZRGREN said:

This one seems to be the Hasegawa version?!  It isnt my auction but I do have one in the stash.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eduard-1-48-A-4-Skyhawk-Vietnam-Scooter-Hasegawa-Ltd-Edition/193347830458?hash=item2d046dc2ba:g:SXgAAOSwx1ReSZtn

Unless you can get it cheap, Eduard originally really overcharged for this kit. it was $100.00 retail. Basically the Hasegawa kit and a couple bits of resin.

18 hours ago, PZRGREN said:

This one seems to be the Hasegawa version?!  It isnt my auction but I do have one in the stash.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eduard-1-48-A-4-Skyhawk-Vietnam-Scooter-Hasegawa-Ltd-Edition/193347830458?hash=item2d046dc2ba:g:SXgAAOSwx1ReSZtn

yes its hasegawa plastic inside, and very reasonable at that price

Kingkit have a few, mostly M models. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine the Blue Angels F boxing has all the parts for any E/F model except those fitted with the Super Fox intakes.

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/shop.php?search=kitfinder&search_term=skyhawk&brand=140&cat=26&scale=1^48

It's also worth bearing in mind that if you can find the Pro-Modeler Blue Angels A-4 kit, that was also Hasegawa plastic.

I've built 5 Hasegawa A-4s and I'm currently working on another 4 simultaneously. They are not without their faults, but they are nice kits. The A-4B is particularly good-looking IMO.

Jon

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

It's also worth bearing in mind that if you can find the Pro-Modeler Blue Angels A-4 kit, that was also Hasegawa plastic.

Yes, I built that kit. OOB it's an -E since it doesn't provide the Super Fox intakes. It does have options for hump- or non-humpback.

35 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

Yes, I built that kit. OOB it's an -E since it doesn't provide the Super Fox intakes. It does have options for hump- or non-humpback.

You can make a regular F from it as I think the intakes were only modified on up-engined A-4Fs used very late in fleet service and as aggressors.

Jon

6 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

You can make a regular F from it as I think the intakes were only modified on up-engined A-4Fs used very late in fleet service and as aggressors.

Jon

You're probably right. I think what I was remembering was the Blue Angels planes had the Super Fox intakes, so one would have to compromise in building one of the kit markings options OOB.

4 hours ago, Seawinder said:

You're probably right. I think what I was remembering was the Blue Angels planes had the Super Fox intakes, so one would have to compromise in building one of the kit markings options OOB.

Yeah, I think that's right.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 9:44 PM, NAVY870 said:

Esci- Older than sin but still available in an Italeri box. Simple, basic but accurate, needs a better cockpit.

I’ve built the 1/48 ESCI A-4E and it looks perfectly acceptable to my eye as a former A-4 ordnanceman. The cockpit is simplified and could use detail, but just replacing the kit seat with a resin aftermarket item would be a big help. My recollection is that it only has the straight IFR probe, which would limit the choice of marking options. Beware that ESCI also boxed the kit as an A-4M/N and this is very wrong. The only mod they made was to the vertical stab, the model still has the E/F canopy and windshield although this feature is correctly depicted on the box art.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 4:50 AM, Jon Bryon said:

The kit number for this is 5976. But, be aware that a few years later a Blue Angels A-4 appeared in a Monogram branded box (#5310) and this is just the original Monogram A-4E/F.

21 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I’ve built the 1/48 ESCI A-4E and it looks perfectly acceptable to my eye as a former A-4 ordnanceman. The cockpit is simplified and could use detail, but just replacing the kit seat with a resin aftermarket item would be a big help. 

I wholly concur with this :wub: Only problem is the grainy surface of the kit, but nothing a simple rub of Tamiya 1500 polishing sponge wouldn't take care of. It also needs Eduard wheels.

Also heard that it is the only 1/48 Scooter kit which has the correct size of underwing jugs?

21 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

My recollection is that it only has the straight IFR probe, which would limit the choice of marking options.

Doesn't that kit also bring the bent IFR probe? :hmmm:I converted that ESCI Scooter kit into an A-4Q in Argie Navy service.

Yeh, me did... 

Cheers,

Unc2

• 1 month later...

Some 100 A-4Fs were upgraded to the J52-P-401 during the Viet Nam war. See the Osprey Douglas A-4 Skyhawk book by Peter Kilduff, page 54. They featured the enlarged air intakes and apparently were used by line squadrons. The issue is finding good clear photos of these airplanes in fleet use. Unless seen from the proper angle, it's hard to tell if the A-4F in the photo has the enlarged intakes.

Tailspin Turtle, thanks for the correction regarding the later engine installed in the A-4F. My source was incorrect regarding the designation, although apparently not regarding the number modified.

4 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Thanks - do you know what the difference was between the P-8B engine and the P-408 engine? I'll try and find where I got the P-408 designation.

Might have a spot of misunderstanding here, I was reffering to your article which mention the F was build with P-8A engines

The A was in the A-4E (later upgraded to the B ) 

The F and its variants had the B from the get go, I had to endure a very long and in depth course on the J-52 on my A-4 SEAC course.

I believe the main difference with the 408 was the introduction of variable inlet guide vanes.

Edited by NAVY870

5 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Might have a spot of misunderstanding here, I was reffering to your article which mention the F was build with P-8A engines

The A was in the A-4E (later upgraded to the B ) 

The F and its variants had the B from the get go, I had to endure a very long and in depth course on the J-52 on my A-4 SEAC course.

I believe the main difference with the 408 was the introduction of variable inlet guide vanes.

Ah - I was pretty sure about the 408. I've fixed the P-8A statement to P-8B. Thanks.

• Like 1