A-4 Skyhawk in 1:48

Chris Bessant

Hi All, I'm keen to make an A4 Skyhawk, and really like the look of the Airfix 1:72.  The trouble is my eyes are not great for 1:72 modeling these days.  I see there are quite a few possible 1:48 versions around.  Has anyone made or can recommend a 1:48 version?  Which is best?

Hasegawa makes the best 1/48 A-4 but they can be tough to find.

Hobbyboss offers the most easily available A-4, which aren't too bad if you're not very particular about having the right details.

Unfortunately the Hasegawa single seater is really seldom to find nowadays, but the trainer was re-released a couple of months ago. 

There is a HobbyBoss Skyhawk in 1/48 available, but I don't know how accurate that is.

Alex

Aidy was quicker 😁

Edited by coneheadff

Like as has been mentioned the Hasegawa line of Skyhawks are the best when available. There are reviews of the Hobby Boss kit online. I believe one of the issues is the leading edge slats are molded closed. They were always open when on the ground. Beyond that I have not heard of any other major issues. Others may know more. 

10 hours ago, jpk said:

Like as has been mentioned the Hasegawa line of Skyhawks are the best when available. There are reviews of the Hobby Boss kit online. I believe one of the issues is the leading edge slats are molded closed. They were always open when on the ground. Beyond that I have not heard of any other major issues. Others may know more. 

Not 100% correct. The slats could be pinned 'up' or more often, secured with a strap that ran from the rear edge of the slat to the wing jacking point. This was done, IIRC, to prevent ground crew from banging into them when servicing or loading ordnance. There are numerous photos of Kiwi and Aussie Skyhawks with their slats secured in this fashion, so finding a kit that does not have positionable slats is not a deal-breaker. I vaguely recall @Tailspin Turtle discussed and illustrated this on one of his Tailhook Topics blogs. I thought I had saved that one, but can't seem to find the folder.

Mike

58 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Not 100% correct. The slats could be pinned 'up' or more often, secured with a strap that ran from the rear edge of the slat to the wing jacking point. This was done, IIRC, to prevent ground crew from banging into them when servicing or loading ordnance. There are numerous photos of Kiwi and Aussie Skyhawks with their slats secured in this fashion, so finding a kit that does not have positionable slats is not a deal-breaker. I vaguely recall @Tailspin Turtle discussed and illustrated this on one of his Tailhook Topics blogs. I thought I had saved that one, but can't seem to find the folder.

Mike

Strapping the slats up was extremely uncommon in the 5-6 years I worked on them in the RNZAF, even loading weapons we never used to bother. 99% of the time on the ground they are down they were down. 

I honestly can't even remember using the straps at all . If we ever wanted the slats up someone usually just held it up for  you - that shows you how long they usually were up for an the ground (IIRC we may occasuionlly have have jammed a screw driver in there somewhere as well ).  

Of course you're right in that there are photos out there but these are the exception rather than something that you could call common.  So for me it's a deal breaker. of course YMMV.

The blue angels IIRC were the only operators who bolted the slats up. 

The Hasegawa kit has a step on the wing where the slat sits when it is up. That's wrong as well so it all depends on what bothers you most. The Hasegawa kit also has a few other niggles and fit issues. 

The Hobby Boss kit looks wrong to my eye in a few other areas as well, particularly around the canopy. 

• Like 4

Calum,

All valid points; I merely wanted Chris to know that if he couldn't find a kit with positionable slats, that he could build the model with them up by replicating the strap used for that purpose, since, if memory serves, properly adjusted slats should extend on their own on the ground until such time as the airload pushes them closed.

Mike

• Like 1

The Hobbycraft kit also has issues around the canopy as well. The only 1/48 Skyhawk with the correct LE slats that I am aware of is the Classic Airframes TA-4F/J. They eliminated the step cutout. Looks like they pretty much copied the Hasegawa A-4E kit when making their two seater. The Hasegawa kit had not been released at the time. I believe the CA wing will fit just fine in the Hase kit if it is an issue for you. 

Hasegawa- Best of the bunch, only downers are the step mention by Calumn and the nose wheel integral with the strut

Hobbyboss-Asides the retracted slats it has numerous errors and shape issues.

Esci- Older than sin but still available in an Italeri box. Simple, basic but accurate, needs a better cockpit.

Hobbycraft- shape issues since they used the fwd fuselage of the A-4M for all the boxings making the earlier model canopy and windscreen too fat. Very nice decals and weapons.

Monogram- Well past its use by date, avoid.

We used the slat restraining straps when the aircraft were parked on the flight line during the infamous Nowra August westerly winds to stop them banging about.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

I don’t remember a post of mine specifically addressing the A4D slats being held closed upon occasion for various reasons but there is an example of it here: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/01/a4d-1-vortex-generators.html

There are others, particularly early on In its career, but for the most part they are open in pictures taken while the Scooter was parked (with the exception, of course, of the single-seat Blue Angels A-4s). There is a possibility that the practice was frowned upon, particularly when done crudely, because of the catastrophic consequences of one slat staying in at the end of the catapult stroke (they closed due to the acceleration involved). An uncontrollable roll resulted. One essential preflight check was that they could easily be pushed closed and immediately extended when not held in place. My understanding is that rigging them for ease of movement in the event that they didn’t could be a tedious process, another reason not to jam them closed with a big screwdriver.

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
Add Blue Angels exception
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

My understanding is that rigging them for ease of movement in the event that they didn’t could be a tedious process, another reason not to jam them closed with a big screwdriver.

Part of the daily inspection was to push the slat slowly closed to check for binding and then slowly release it.

If any binding was present then and quick check to see if Chief was around the unofficial procedure was to hop up on the drop tank and give the offending slat a wee bit of a kick.

If this didn't work the aircraft was placed unserviceable and the slat had to be re-rigged, usually with shims and cuss words.

One thing that did show alignment issues with the slats was scrapping of the paint on the area of the wing where the inboard rear corner of the slat sat. If the alignment was of it wore

the paint away quite quickly. Usually checked on DI's and turnaround inspections.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Hasegawa have the single in their release range for this year again.

Unless they’ve announced another one this is the Blue Angels A-4F. It’s been released in Japan already - I’ve got one - you can’t do a standard E or F from the parts in the box as it has the Super Fox intakes so you need to source a pair of earlier intakes for a standard E/F.

Hopefully there will be more Hasegawa Skyhawk releases soon, I have a bit of a thing for the A-4 and can’t get enough of them.

Re. leading edge slats - I think I read somewhere that aggressors often has the slats bolted shut so the Hobby Boss kit could be good for one of those.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:19 PM, BushBrit66 said:

While the Hobbycraft early  models are a bit wide around the canopy, their later mark does have a different fws fusualage for the M/N variants. 

Hobbycraft more or less copied the Monogram A-4E kit if I recall. It has been a long time since I had the kits. That is the reason for the wider than accurate front windscreen. The clamshell canopy also had a slight issue with the plexi line towards where it starts to curve up. The line is abrupt and not the curve the real canopy had. Other than that I don't recall much else wrong with it. I could be wrong. One good thing is they did a B, C and E as well as later versions too well before Hasegawa. They also came with a goodly assortment of stuff to hang on it as well.  

You are looking for the A-4B. You can look for the Hasegawa A-4B repop. The A-4C and A-4E/F kits were repopped in 2018/2019 according to Scalemates. If you might be thinking of settling for one kit with the hope of getting parts to do the version that you want, sprue A, that has the fuselage parts and is in each kit, is actually different for most kits. The A-4B kit is the same as the A-4C kit with the B nose and instrument panel. Both the A-4B and C kits have a separate nose, the A-4E kit has the nose molded as part of the fuselage.  In the A-4M kit, the modified tail is molded  as part of the fuselage. too.

The early A-4s had many fine markings. You want the A-4B for its bright markings. The A-4C also had many fine markings and the the A-4E did, too. 

Hasegawa did the VA-15 marking. 1/48 A-4B VA-15 VALIONS SKYHAWK #09784

And apparently be gotten on E-Bay  1/48 A-4B VA-15 VALIONS SKYHAWK + A-4C + CUTTING EDGE COCKPIT by HASEGAWA #09784 for $69.99.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-A-4B-VA-15-VALIONS-SKYHAWK-A-4C-CUTTING-EDGE-COCKPIT-by-HASEGAWA-09784/362916625138?hash=item547f843af2:g:s7IAAOSw8KxeP2Lc

Grant

Hi Grant,

15 hours ago, Gmat said:

Hasegawa did the VA-15 marking. 1/48 A-4B VA-15 VALIONS SKYHAWK #09784

And apparently be gotten on E-Bay  1/48 A-4B VA-15 VALIONS SKYHAWK + A-4C + CUTTING EDGE COCKPIT by HASEGAWA #09784 for $69.99.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-A-4B-VA-15-VALIONS-SKYHAWK-A-4C-CUTTING-EDGE-COCKPIT-by-HASEGAWA-09784/362916625138?hash=item547f843af2:g:s7IAAOSw8KxeP2Lc

:yikes:I'd get that auction right away! I got the Hasegawa 1/48 A4D-2 kit for USD 110 from one of my mates three weeks ago.

Yeh, me did...

Cheers,

Unc2