1/48 ZM F-4J Phantom -- VF-114 Aardvarks

On 2/11/2020 at 6:24 AM, billn53 said:

The AeroBonus seat+crew combos make adding a crew easy. ‘

Outstanding -- absolutely beautiful work. 

Technically the crew needs oxygen masks - either on or unhooked from one side of their helmets.  Also, you may want to check the color of the helmet visors - most I've seen in VF-114 pictures are white or have a touch of orange.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
Corrected Oxygen mask comment. Appears the Aerobonus set has the mask attached to the harness. Logical since the model setting is the crew in the airplane before hydraulic power is available.
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gene K said:

you may want to check the color of the helmet visors - most I've seen in VF-114 pictures are white or have a touch of orange.

You're right, of course. I missed that detail. Not to mention the little aardvarks on the sides.

50731918551_07cf3f75fe_z.jpg

45 minutes ago, billn53 said:

I missed that detail [on the helmet] Not to mention the little aardvarks on the sides.

The attractive Aardvark-themed helmet appears to be a squadron  standard for F-14 crews, but I haven't seen that on pictures during the squadron's Phantom era. (I'm not USN Phantom knowledgeable - just a Googler).

Gene K

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gene K said:

The attractive Aardvark-themed helmet appears to be a squadron  standard for F-14 crews, but I haven't seen that on pictures during the squadron's Phantom era. (I'm not USN Phantom knowledgeable - just a Googler).

Gene K

I'm not a Phantom expert by any means, Google is my friend.

But... here's a VF-114 Phantom crew, and I believe I see aardvarks on their helmets:

50731901346_7ec80136d3.jpg

• Thanks 1