1/48 ZM F-4J Phantom -- VF-114 Aardvarks

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a bit gourgeous Bill, really top shelf. :)

Steve.

PS Is that another oops with the starboard nose 200?

Steve.

Thanks, Steve. Yep, I have double “oopses”. After I had clear-glossed everything, I masked the anti-glare and walkways to give them a semi-matte finish. Despite de-tacking the tape, the “200” and insignia decals lifted. I used spares from the DrawDecal sheet to fix both. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hobo said:

Spectacular result!

Thank you, Hobo.

3 hours ago, polybebber said:

That's how a Navy Phantom should look, excellent paintwork and weathering. You made

her a busy looking plane - I love that. Hats off!!!

Lothar

She would have been busier with a full load out of Mk82s, but I didn’t want to distract from her beautiful markings. But, when I do my Academy F-4D, you’ll see plenty of ordnance. :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

3 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A Phantom that just looks 'right' from all aspects, including the convincing cause > effect weathering and scuffing.

Inspiring build!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks! A Phantom isn’t a Phantom if it isn’t dirty & worn. 

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

That is a bit gourgeous Bill, really top shelf. :)

Steve.

I thoroughly enjoyed this build, the ZM kit is very nice (but with a couple issues).  Took a bit longer than I had planned, what with doing two other builds concurrently. 1/48 isn’t my preferred scale, but for a Phantom I’m willing to go big (I have two 1/48 Academy’s, and a 1/32 Tamiya, in my stash 🙂

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

One of the best Phantoms I've seen.

Too kind! I’ve seen some truly great ones here on BM. 

38 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

That is a stunner and in some of my favourite markings too

Andy

Mine, too.  Now my gentlemen’s-scale Aardvark has a big brother. 

I’m also a fan of the Screaming Eagles, and I have an Academy 1/48 F-4B queued up with those markings. 

33 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Outstanding finish!!

I’m loving the True North enamels. And, I’ve learned that Klear/Future gives a smoother finish if diluted 50-50 with Mr Leveling thinner. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Wonderful build and finish, and l love to see a crew on board, it always adds to the model, good job!

Thank you. The AeroBonus seat+crew combos make adding a crew easy. ‘tho I did have to do some fiddling and (in the case of the RIO) outright amputation to make them fit in the ZM Phantom’s cramped cockpit. 

• Like 1

Very nice result Bill - lovely finish and weathering. Must get round to making one of these but all those stencils.......!!

Like the use of UV gel - I have a couple of manufacturers gels and will have a play myself.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

Great F4 build Bill:like:   Not sure how I missed this WIP but caught up now,  I have some ZM F4s to build so this has been most informative.  I agree that Jefferys canopy detail sets are a must for any F4 build, I have them for the Academy F4, and an open pair of canopies looks wrong without them.

All the best,

Bob.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Very nice result Bill - lovely finish and weathering. Must get round to making one of these but all those stencils.......!!

Like the use of UV gel - I have a couple of manufacturers gels and will have a play myself.

Cheers

Malcolm

The HGW waterslide package makes adding stencils much easier. Multiple stencils are combined together in a single transfer. Once they are in place, the clear transfer material is peeled off, leaving the stencils behind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, billn53 said:

The HGW waterslide package makes adding stencils much easier. Multiple stencils are combined together in a single transfer. Once they are in place, the clear transfer material is peeled off, leaving the stencils behind.

Cheers Bill - that alone sounds like an excellent reason to give those try!

Cheers

Malcolm

A minor caveat with the HGW transfers is they are sized for the Academy Phantoms. They don’t always line up with ZM’s panel lines. A couple of times I had to cut the larger transfers into two or three smaller pieces to improve the fit. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Superb job, I love a 'Varks F-4 and yours looks awesome

I have my eyes on doing a ‘Vark Tomcat as well (in 1/72... I’m running out of shelf space and a F-14 in 1/48 would be just too much!)

• Like 1