Gutlass Cutlass

Corsairfoxfouruncle

I feel your pain Dennis, but glad that it's all turned out OK in the end.  You can certainly get some strange manifestations if you get the chemistry wrong (I'm still working on the alchemy ;)).

Cheers

• Like 1

These kinds of paint problems are the worst. End up spending more time cleaning the airbrush than the whole paint session should have taken! Good to see it’s worked out ok - hopefully smooth sailing from here on.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... Im hoping everybody is doing well and surviving ? I was able to spray the black base on this tonight. It will get gloss-coat before aluminum to help with that paint. These kind of look downright evil in black though ? cvo0y5z.jpg

RbtdUOB.jpg

You can see the canopy in the upper left of this photo. ⬇️ I painted the blue a few days ago then dipped it into future. Once it had cured/dried i masked the clear section off as well as the curved lightning bolts. Tonight I sprayed the black so I can then hit with aluminum. 

k9vmBbt.jpg

VwoYjXT.jpg

Once the aluminum is all done, I will mask off the areas for the slats and spray the red. Questions, comments, and or thoughts please feel free to post ? 

Dennis

• Like 9

Just noticed how big this is alongside your Bf-109E.  I know Messerschmitts were small, but I didn’t realise how big the Cutlass was.

AW

• Like 2

On 4/2/2020 at 6:41 AM, Andwil said:

Just noticed how big this is alongside your Bf-109E.  I know Messerschmitts were small, but I didn’t realise how big the Cutlass was.

AW

Hello Everyone... I sprayed the aluminum today, I think it turned pretty good. Its going to cure for a couple of days as this is lacquer. I most definitely want it to off gas before moving on. 9d0QmDK.jpg

9KrJool.jpg

qjiGork.jpg

And one for Andwil, I posed the two planes together Mistel style. Considering there is only 15 years different between the two. 1939 for the 109D and 1954 for the Cutlass. 

5jlofzf.jpg

Wingspan is not to far off, but length and bulkiness go to the Cutlass. Questions, comments, and or thoughts please feel free to post. 

Dennis

• Like 9

Looking good Dennis, real leap forward with the decals on.

i like the comparison with the 109, really shows how much aviation technology has moved, only 15 years but what a huge difference!

Rob

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Now it takes 15 years to go from prototype to production.

That's looking sharp in blue and silver Dennis.

A testament to modern complexity.

AW

• Like 2

Morning Everybody... Hoping everyone is staying safe and healthy. Im almost done with the Cutlass. I think by Friday/Saturday she should be in the Gallery. I painted up all the little bits and mounted the landing gear struts tonight. R7LuJwX.jpg

I painted up the slat wells and landing gear bays as well. My red is more thinner than paint at this point so thats why it looks kind of iffy. 

1FLAgGj.jpg

pTBEySk.jpg

em6qUZP.jpg

I decided to use the trim blue for the arrestor hook. Not likely accurate but it looks good. Tires and rims done as well, they will get mounted tomorrow. 2Y29sUi.jpg

Please feel free to question, comment, and or post thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Hello everybody... I hope you are all safe and healthy. I mounted most of the extras tonight, and all that is left are the canopies and gear bay doors. That will come tomorrow when this is all good and solid. 20aQCYN.jpg

fGrajF2.jpg

SDX53Qk.jpg

rU5fwxc.jpg

z5ykddj.jpg

vwztcu7.jpg

I only realized after mounting the ailerons that I forgot to paint the blue trim on them. So very carefully and patiently I hand painted those will praying I wouldn't get a case of tremors, sneeze, or drop the plane. Please feel free to post questions, comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

I don’t know a lot about the Cutlass, was the nose gear a problem with it, it looks very spindly for a big jet.

Great looking model.

AW 

• Like 1

Looking good Dennis,

You got the weight right then! I hope I do the same with mine. It seems to have gone together fairly well.

Cheers

Pete

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andwil said:

I don’t know a lot about the Cutlass, was the nose gear a problem with it, it looks very spindly for a big jet.

Great looking model.

AW 

The whole jet was a problem thus the title i chose. It was way underpowered for such a large airframe and was very difficult to fly. Another common nickname was the “Ensign eliminator” as Ensigns weren't very experienced and could easily get into trouble flying this type. The example Im building was flown to an Airshow in 1955-56 in Pennsylvania and just left behind. The squadron was going to be switching to a new plane in the near future and didn't want it back. 65 years later it is still there, and now a gate guard. The Blue angels were testing two and left one at Glenview Naval Air Station here in Chicago for the fact it was to unsafe to fly. It was still there until the base closed in the later 90’s. It may still be there in fact as there is a museum on site. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The whole jet was a problem thus the title i chose. It was way underpowered for such a large airframe and was very difficult to fly. Another common nickname was the “Ensign eliminator” as Ensigns weren't very experienced and could easily get into trouble flying this type. The example Im building was flown to an Airshow in 1955-56 in Pennsylvania and just left behind. The squadron was going to be switching to a new plane in the near future and didn't want it back. 65 years later it is still there, and now a gate guard. The Blue angels were testing two and left one at Glenview Naval Air Station here in Chicago for the fact it was to unsafe to fly. It was still there until the base closed in the later 90’s. It may still be there in fact as there is a museum on site. 

Well, except for the fact that the F7U-3 your model represents was in effect dumped at NAS Willow Grove (to be a maintenance trainer initially), what you state is not correct, e.g. the one at Glenview was not one of the F7U-1s flown with the Blue Angels (see https://thanlont.blogspot.com/2013/10/f7u-3-cutlass-survivors.html) or an exaggeration/misrepresentation (no Ensigns were killed flying the F7U but it wasn’t notably harder to fly than other jet fighters, a bit better in some ways than some and arguably easier to land on a carrier than the F8U Crusader). It wasn’t initially underpowered by the standards of the times but when the Navy added four Sparrow Is (1,200 lbs) to it along with the associated radar and missile control electronics (800 lbs) and it didn’t get more thrust, the performance suffered but not notably and shooting a Soviet bomber down with an air-to-air missile didn’t require it be outstanding then. It would be correct to say that its range and endurance left something to be desired. One of these days, I’m going to finish my F7U-3 monograph for Steve Ginter and provide a more nuanced and accurate representation of the type than found in most accounts. Did you know that it was probably the first to make a supersonic drop of a “shape”, first carrier-based jet with nose-wheel steering, first with afterburner (the F6U never went to sea), first to take guided missiles to sea, etc.?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Well, except for the fact that the F7U-3 your model represents was in effect dumped at NAS Willow Grove (to be a maintenance trainer initially), what you state is not correct, e.g. the one at Glenview was not one of the F7U-1s flown with the Blue Angels (see https://thanlont.blogspot.com/2013/10/f7u-3-cutlass-survivors.html

Thanks ... I defer to your knowledge on the subject, I'm just repeating what Ive read for 35 years.

13 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

One of these days, I’m going to finish my F7U-3 monograph for Steve Ginter and provide a more nuanced and accurate representation of the type than found in most accounts. Did you know that it was probably the first to make a supersonic drop of a “shape”, first carrier-based jet with nose-wheel steering, first with afterburner (the F6U never went to sea), first to take guided missiles to sea, etc.?

I knew some of these things about the cutlass but not all. 

Dennis