Gutlass Cutlass

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello Everyone... Im going to be building Fujimi’s kit of Vought's F7U Cutlass. A great design that supposedly had great flying characteristics, only let down by underpowered jet engines. Sadly a common them of early US Navy jets. The F3 Demon also comes to mind. sEEYLhp.jpg
The box art is for VF-124 and is one of my fallback options as far as markings. This in the Standard Gull grey/white scheme

aJ2Dll2.png

Im going to attempt to do this in the Markings of VA-12 “The Flying Ubangi’s” this however is aluminum lacquer/NMFyO9Hb2Y.jpg

I have a 3rd option as well, VF/VA-83. The 1st photo is of the early scheme Blue edged with white on an Aluminum base. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23032926@N05/10503425794

This is the later scheme Yellow edged with black on an aluminum base. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F7U-3M_of_VA-83_on_USS_Intrepid_(CVA-11)_in_1956.jpg

I will be adding photo’s of the pieces and sprues later. I bought the kit 2nd hand and most pieces are off of the sprues. They all seem to be here though so thats always a plus. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone... Sorry for the long delay on all of my builds. Ive been down for the 2nd time in 3 months with a nasty Bronchial/Flu like illness. Ive been struggling just to read all the posts let alone do any work on anything. However thats all coming to an end so its about time I posted the appropriate sprue shots. 
MYKDZUX.jpg

As stated before kit is 2nd hand and the previous owner removed a bunch of stuff from the sprues. Though it does all seem to be there. 

11TPjyd.jpg

CpfZzQy.jpg

gngTkZz.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 10

Glad to hear you're starting to feel better Dennis and glad to see you making a start to this one. Always liked the quirky apperance of the Cutlass so will follow your progress :)

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... please be patient with me as I have every intention of getting to this. I sadly had to say goodbye to my beloved friend and companion of 16 years this morning. My Martin was a pugnacious pug

iLOWTTy.jpg

and took no guff from anyone. He will be missed and I'm taking time along with SWMBO to grieve. I will check in daily but just cant see myself building anything yet. Please everyone have a good day. 

Dennis

• Sad 11

Hi Dennis. So sorry to hear your sad news. It is always heartbreaking to lose a beloved family pet. My condolences to you and your wife.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I'm very sorry about your loss, Dennis. Losing a pet is so hard. I'm so sorry :(

On 2/25/2020 at 8:03 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi Dennis. So sorry to hear your sad news. It is always heartbreaking to lose a beloved family pet. My condolences to you and your wife.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 2/25/2020 at 8:01 AM, uncletommy said:

So sorry Dennis.  Been there, done that.   It's heartbreaking.  :sad:

On 2/25/2020 at 7:10 AM, FortyEighter said:

Hi Dennis

Sorry to hear about Martin, hope you feel like modelling again soon.

Mike

On 2/24/2020 at 4:06 PM, rob85 said:

That’s really sad news Dennis, I’m sorry to hear it and hope you and your good lady are dealing with it as best you can.

Rob

On 2/24/2020 at 3:58 PM, Andwil said:

Condolences Dennis, it’s always hard to lose a much loved pet.

AW

On 2/24/2020 at 12:14 PM, John Laidlaw said:

Dennis, I'm so sorry for your loss. We'll be here whenever you feel you can properly return.

Thanks everybody for the well wishes ... Im trying to do things to stay busy but its not easy when i keep seeing things that remind me of him. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hi Dennis,

After the last of our (previous) 5 cats died aged nearly 21 a year or so back, I was most reluctant to get another as the emotional loss when they go is pretty bad. As a result we spent 6 months catless and as you say you are forever reminded of them by one thing or another. In the end I allowed myself to be persuaded by my family to get another one, and actually ended up with a pair of 2 month old kittens. We have had them 8 months now, and they bring a great deal of joy into our lives. You will never replace the one you have just lost, but after you have had time to grieve you may perhaps consider getting another dog to care for and give a good home to.

Just a thought.

All the best,

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PeterB said:

You will never replace the one you have just lost, but after you have had time to grieve you may perhaps consider getting another dog to care for and give a good home to.

Thank you for sharing that and for your condolence. Im sorry to hear of your loss Peter, I've had many cats over the years and still have two. I agree on the “never replace him”. We already plan on getting a rescue dog. Most likely a Pug but English and French Bulldogs are also high on the list. We have a thing for “Smoosh-faces” and will always have at least one. 

Dennis

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

but its not easy when i keep seeing things that remind me of him

Totally understand that. Grieving is unique to each friend we lose, and can vary in time and strength - I know you know this, but have to say that there will come a day when the memories will bring smiles instead of pain. Hang in there, and know you have people happy to be sounding-boards if needed.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dennis,

I will be watching with interest as this should be identical to my Fujimi boxed one. I don't know about your instructions but mine make no mention of nose weight - perhaps it will not need any given the rater unusual geometry of the plane. Are you building it with the wheels down?

Good luck with the build.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Dennis,

I will be watching with interest as this should be identical to my Fujimi boxed one. I don't know about your instructions but mine make no mention of nose weight - perhaps it will not need any given the rater unusual geometry of the plane. Are you building it with the wheels down?

Good luck with the build.

Pete

Hello Pete... Thanks mine says to add weight just not how much. And I think i have added enough weight in the nose section. However with the way the fuselage is broken down, i cant do my usual build up to see how much to add. Yes I am building with gear down as I've not built wheels up since i was young. Good luck with your build as well. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

this is a great model to build. Or so I have heard over the years!

I missed the boat at my LHS last year: when I ordered it, I was told the kit had been sold a couple of days before!!! And I was not interested in the photo reco kit they still had. Maybe a mistake? 

Anyway, just have a lot of fun with it! Just a small point: check whether the cockpit should not be dark gull grey? Confusing period, but I cannot recall black. 

Just a thought, and I may stand to be corrected!

JR

• Like 1