Norwegian C-47

Terry1954

On 5/10/2020 at 9:35 PM, Vingtor said:

Migthy work, in 1/144 scale !

On 5/11/2020 at 12:59 AM, trickyrich said:

yeah the wire option is the best way to go.....you just know there's something lurking under the bench just waiting to feast on the plastic one!

On 5/11/2020 at 11:11 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Thats wonderful work, Terry! I'm lookimg forward to seeing the final,result :)

Martin

Thanks Nils, Rich and Martin.

Unfortunately the replacement decals from Vingtor that Nils is sending, have yet to arrive. This means the C-47 won't be finished for tomorrow's Group Build deadline. I'll post some status pictures here tomorrow to show where it's at, but that will be without decals!

I'll post the complete build in RFI once it is done.

Terry

• Sad 1

That's shame Terry, was hoping you might make it in time.

That was a lovely build and she would have really look lovely in the gallery, but these things sometimes happen as we all know.

It was great to have you along and a pleasure to follow the build, I hope you enjoyed it and look forward to seeing you in the next one!  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I am sorry that the decals have not arrived, Terry. Post deliveries seem to take longer time these days, as most aircraft are grounded.

Nils

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2020 at 7:10 AM, Vingtor said:

I am sorry that the decals have not arrived, Terry. Post deliveries seem to take longer time these days, as most aircraft are grounded.

Nils

No worries Nils, they have finally arrived today, and looking at them I can just see the carrier film!

IMG20200521114359

So for those interested, there should be some final progress pictures soon.

Thanks once again to you for sorting this and for the extra set!

Terry

• Like 3

On 5/17/2020 at 12:34 AM, trickyrich said:

That's shame Terry, was hoping you might make it in time.

That was a lovely build and she would have really look lovely in the gallery, but these things sometimes happen as we all know.

It was great to have you along and a pleasure to follow the build, I hope you enjoyed it and look forward to seeing you in the next one!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich. It's been an enjoyable GB, my first actually. I'll continue to post the closing progress shots now that the decals have arrived.

Terry

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 8:55 PM, Terry1954 said:

Thanks Rich. It's been an enjoyable GB, my first actually. I'll continue to post the closing progress shots now that the decals have arrived.

Terry

great to see those decals have arrived, now looking forward to the final reveal!  :popcorn:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trickyrich said:

great to see those decals have arrived, now looking forward to the final reveal!  :popcorn:

We are getting close. Spent some time yesterday and this morning on the decals and other small bits and pieces.

I wanted @Vingtor to know that after my challenging start with the rogue initial set, these replacement decals are some of the finest quality decals I have yet to use. They need careful handling as some of the narrower items could fold on themselves, but If you follow the guidance given in the sheet and make sure excessive water has gone before you begin to place them, they go on superbly. I found that they actually perform best being soaked in warm water for a mere 5 seconds. I was particularly impressed with the way the fuselage codes being made up of a solid black code, and a separate outline silver code (for the dayglo area), lined up and matched exactly. Also, the one I was most fearing is a small V shaped white line to run between the blue and the dayglo on the upper nose in front of the cockpit. I had masked my demarcation by eye, and really expected a lot of challenges on this one, but as you will see, things went on very well. I did actually split the white V, to enable it to conform better to the nose. Some small areas of blue at the very tip to fill in yet. You will see I have very slightly mis-misaligned the W in the first shot below. That is an easy fix with a fine silver marker pen.

IMG20200523144316 IMG20200523144215

The nose pin stripe. A small area of blue to fill in, and perhaps the white could extend back a little. White fine marker pen will sort it. These are VERY close up shots, and at normal viewing, things look really superb. Well done Nils!

IMG20200523144237 IMG20200523144331

A few smaller decals to go yet, but here is an overall shot of things so far.

IMG20200523175415

I had one frustrating moment with this little piece earlier today, the under fuselage nose pitot array. I was cleaning it up for paint when the dreaded "ping" came and it was gone!

IMG20200523175640

Panic not though. I've built several of these aircraft in this scale, and on one occasion a few years back, I managed to damage some of the undercarriage and this very pitiot and lose a wheel, so I set about casting some replacements.

I now have spare wheels:

IMG20200523151639

And spare pitot's. Top right item on each runner:

IMG20200523151609

As it happened, when I was about to remove one of these from the runner and clean it up, my wandering eyes spotted the original pitot between a couple of paint pots at the back of the worktable. That of course only happened because I had a backup plan!

Final shot of U/C and other items all painted up and ready to be assembled:

IMG20200523151757

So tonight and tomorrow I plan to finish decaling, give a light coat of varnish all over, afix all U/C, aerials, wires and nav dome, and we should be there.

More very soon

Terry

PS, forgot to mention the props which are ready to go!

• Like 6

gosh those decals do look really nice, will have to go have a look to see if there are any that interest me.

She looks so nice with the decals on, you must be very pleased with how she's turning out!

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 11:42 PM, trickyrich said:

gosh those decals do look really nice, will have to go have a look to see if there are any that interest me.

She looks so nice with the decals on, you must be very pleased with how she's turning out!

Thanks Rich, yes very pleased the way she has turned out

On 5/24/2020 at 8:31 AM, Vingtor said:

It is good to see the decals finally on the model, Terry. And that you are satisfied with them.

Nils

Thanks Nils. I am more than satisfied with the decals!

So we had a few tiny things to do but another last minute issue with that pitot head ......... it went ping again and was gone forever, so rather than the resin spares I had I decided to fabricate one from brass. Thank goodness for Gators grip. I was able to combine two fine brass rod pieces in the manner of the prototype.

IMG20200526110706 IMG20200526140006

So with that done, wheels, dome and various aerials were all added from fine bras wire/rod

This shot was taken yesterday morning waiting for the engine exhausts to be fitted while some of the other fine parts were setting:

IMG20200526170338

And last night, we declared her finished!

IMG20200527091611 IMG20200527133959

It's been an enjoyable build all the way. The issue with the decals meant we missed the deadline, but for me that didn't spoil the fun.

Sincere thanks to Nils @Vingtor for so promptly helping me to save the day and get to the finish finally.

Also thanks to @RidgeRunner, @modelling minion, @JeroenS, @Courageous, @John Masters, @Jpthedog, @PeterB, @Sabrejet, @CliffB, @Planebuilder62, @reini, @trickyrich and @Col. for all your support during the build!

Full RFI can be seen here:

Thanks all for following the build

Terry

• Like 14

Well done Terry, she finally completed and boy she goes look nice! :thumbsup:

After the drama you had it so nice to see her completed, you've done and awesome job on her.

Again thank you for joining the Gb it was a really pleasure to have you along and to follow this build.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She's a beauty, Terry :). Well done!

Martin

Thanks Martin. The photos you sent were very helpful!

14 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Terry,

That would be good in 1/72 but in 1/144 it is excellent.

Well done.

Pete

Thanks Pete, appreciate that.

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Well done Terry, she finally completed and boy she goes look nice! :thumbsup:

After the drama you had it so nice to see her completed, you've done and awesome job on her.

Again thank you for joining the Gb it was a really pleasure to have you along and to follow this build.

Thanks Rich. This was my first GB and I really enjoyed it. I'll be looking out for another to join soon.

7 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Stunning looking Dakota - the wait for the replacement decals certainly paid off 👍

Thanks. Yes they were worth waiting for, and after my initial frustration, they turned out to be excellent decals.

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Got there in the end Terry and she looks great.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. Yes a bit of a slog with the decal issue and challenging subject to mask, but got there in the end. AMX-13 to finish next, then of course there is always the Vosper!

41 minutes ago, Col. said:

Beautiful result :wub:

Thanks Col, and also for all your support!

Terry

• Like 1