Norwegian C-47

Terry1954

On 4/10/2020 at 11:36 PM, trickyrich said:

they look the part. As you said they were probably custom add ons, so shape and position would have varied from aircraft to aircraft. But these look just right. :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich. They were fiddly to handle but got there in the end!

On 4/11/2020 at 8:18 AM, Col. said:

Tidy work Terry. Don't know about anyone else but I keep forgetting this one is 144th scale.

Thanks Col. 

21 hours ago, Courageous said:

Delicate work Terry.

Stuart

Delicate indeed. The big challenge on this one will be in the masking plan.........

Before that, some further detail needed reinstating. I noticed that the small hatch above the cockpit can be quite prominent, but had largely disappeared on the model due to sanding and paint. So a quick scribe with an appropriate sized hatch from my set of scribing templates. First shot shows immediately after scribing and second one after cleaning up and airbrushing more white. Remember the photo shows at least five times life size, so things look a bit rough at this magnification! I can still see some areas around the cockpit that could do with some Mr Surfacer and a polish up.

IMG20200412134519 IMG20200412175044

More soon

Terry

• Like 3

23 hours ago, trickyrich said:

she's getting there and looking the part, cameras can be really bad at highlighting stuff that in reality are barely noticeable to the eye!! 

Thanks Rich. Yes the pictures can highlight all the flaws!

Started masking this afternoon. The break line between the NMF/aluminium lower fuselage and white upper fuselage has to be pretty accurate, as the Vingtor decal stripe is very narrow. The aim was to get all the white roof masked off, and also mask out the forward part of the fin for the dayglo.

IMG20200413145353 IMG20200413151749 IMG20200413151756

Then it was time to lay on a very light coat of yellow, as a base for the dayglo. Areas to cover are the forward fin, the fuselage band below that, the forward fuselage, and the upper and lower wing tips.

IMG20200413215907 IMG20200413215858 IMG20200413215916

I'm pretty pleased with the way the paint went on. I'm using Alclad's Mil Spec enamels, in this case RAF Insignia Yellow.

I'll leave this 24 hours before applying the Dayglo........

More soon

Terry

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Moving along nice and brightly.

Are the 1/72 Mk VI and Scimitar you're working on but no WiP?

Stuart

Thanks. Yes. The Mk VI Light tank (WWII) is the S-Model, with some aftermarket etched add ons, and the Scimitar Recce (Cold War) is the ACE version. Some pics of both:

First the Mk VI. The ACE version is 1/72 is shown above the two older 1/76 versions from Airfix. It's actually primed up now. The difference in these two scales surprises many who think it is not worth worrying about, but to me it is quite significant.

20170818_113346

The Scimitar

20190911_153107 IMG20200414151747

The Scimitar is very neat as it has etched tracks that are almost link and length. Very realistic.

I'll do a proper RFI when they are done.

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Good to see this one into the painting stages now :) 

Thanks Col.

We moved on a bit this morning with a coat of Dayglo Orange:

IMG20200414142219

I'll need to let these dry off for a day or so, then give them some klear in order to make sure they endure the masking that is coming!

Thanks for looking.

Terry

• Like 7

On 4/14/2020 at 10:46 PM, trickyrich said:

that's nice and bright!

cute wee tanks.

Thanks Rich. It is pretty bright I agree! And yes, I have a thing for wee tanks!

On 4/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, Sabrejet said:

Lovely job! I like the look of those tanks too. 👍

Thanks Duncan!

Not much to show, but the next step of masking off the dayglo is now complete:

Wing tips

IMG20200417112917 IMG20200417112913

Rear fuselage band:

IMG20200417112909

Nose section:

IMG20200417112903

Seeing the pictures on here so magnified, I have spotted some slight misalignment between the ailerons and the wings. Will fix that!

Next time you see it, we should have a coat of Alclad NMF. I decided to do that next, then subsequently mask of the areas around the cowlings and nacelle to apply the blue, and likewise the nose and underwing areas for the matt black.

More soon.

Terry

• Like 8

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

That is great prep work for the dayglo, Terry. The final finish looks superb. Did I it, what paint is that?

Martin

Thanks Martin. I'm trying out new colours (to me) on this one.........

IMG20200419122935

The yellow formed the base for the dayglo to go on even though MRP suggests white undercoat. I can recommend both ranges of paint. The Alclad Mil Spec are enamel, and the MRP are lacquer but both airbrush superbly at low pressure (around 15 psi) with no diluting necessary. Airbrush is easy to clean afterwards also.

Terry

• Like 1

that MRP stuff is the stuff!!! I regularly run my pressure less than 15psi, 10-12psi then adjust flow to suit what I'm doing. Even at low flow and pressure the needle hardly ever clogs up.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 11:26 PM, trickyrich said:

that MRP stuff is the stuff!!! I regularly run my pressure less than 15psi, 10-12psi then adjust flow to suit what I'm doing. Even at low flow and pressure the needle hardly ever clogs up.

I agree Rich, it's amazing stuff. I'm using it more and more now and can't fault it. I'm also impressed with the new Alclad enamels, although only had that one experience of applying the yellow undercoat for the dayglo, but they look like they will be similar to use.

On 4/20/2020 at 6:33 AM, CliffB said:

You can't beat a nice splash of dayglo.  This is going to look super-smart!

Cheers

Yep, dayglo certainly does it for a model!

I was hoping to have put on the Alclad NMF finish by now, but I spotted another little issue that I needed to add for this particular aircraft. I only have the Vingtor drawings to go by, but it looks as if there was some sort of special radar/nav fit on these particular VIP C-47's. I did find an excellent reference picture of one in an Oslo museum, courtesy Wikimedia...........

93797_Douglas_DC-3_Royal_Norwegian_Air_F

The photo is credited to Aeroprints.com.

Although this is not the actual aircraft I plan to model, it shows a number of things much more clearly, and I can use this as a good reference for final details. That polished finish will take some matching and I plan to airbrush the blue trim around the engines after doing the NMF. Tricky masking still to come!

This is the line drawing from the Vingtor sheet. The two small black bumps are what I needed to fabricate:

IMG20200424141752

So I used some evergreen rod, shaped it to an aerofoil profile and made two of them.

IMG20200424140047 IMG20200424140111 IMG20200424141638 IMG20200424141204

One of them shot across the workspace when I cut it free, but miraculously I found it up on a shelf!

Fitted in place and ready for NMF now I think, although these will need drying off and maybe a quick dust of primer to check all is OK.

IMG20200424141400

More soon

Terry

PS I have subsequently found quite a few pictures of cold war C-47's in NATO services, that have the double radar/nav bulges.

• Like 4

On 4/24/2020 at 9:46 PM, Col. said:

More tiny but tidy work Terry :speak_cool:

Thanks Col. Getting them the right shape certainly involved eyestrain!

On 4/25/2020 at 2:15 PM, trickyrich said:

Gosh that is fine work, nice job finding the one that tried to get away!

Terry - 1, Nordic Carpet Monster - 0 :D

Lol, thanks Rich. I'm sure the Carpet Monster will even the score very soon!

Finally airbrushed some polished aluminium on. Alclad is devlishley picky when it comes to the underlying surface. The gloss white undercoat was good, but of course the dayglo and its undercoat, although ultra smooth were not gloss, so where there were overlaps, the surface of the Alclad paint will show it in strange was. After the first coat had dried, I polished up those overlap areas and then re-applied further Alclad, and although not perfect, I'm happy with the result. Things should look better under varnish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjh_photo_world/49821523433/in/datetaken-friend/

That's weird, I tried posting that link several times, but it won't take in the usual way. 

I'll re-visit and re link later. Maybe something going on with this site (the expired security cert maybe), or Flickr.

More soon

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

That's weird, I tried posting that link several times, but it won't take in the usual way. 

I'll re-visit and re link later. Maybe something going on with this site (the expired security cert maybe), or Flickr.

Been having issues with BM this afternoon as well which is making keeping up with everyone's progress problematic but it was worth following your link to see progress on the C-47

• Thanks 1

I decided to do a great reveal and remove all masking layers at this point, even though there will be more to mask later (black under panels and dark blue on nacelles).

Always worth a picture....

IMG20200426182459

Overall, not bad so far

IMG20200426182138

Especially pleased with this area

IMG20200426181753

Some areas where the NMF crept will need fixing:

IMG20200426181819 IMG20200426181811 IMG20200426181748

All fixable with time and patience.

More soon

Terry

• Like 5

she looks great with the masking off! :thumbsup:

Gee it almost looks like the metal finish is growing out of the paint!!! Looks really creepy! :blink:

Between this mutant metallic paint and Col's armless/legless pilot i'm going to have nightmares tonight....and probably for the rest of the week!  :door:

• Like 1

Thanks @Col., @trickyrich and @RidgeRunner. My nightmare has started already Rich, as the NMF Alclad creep onto MRP dayglo is proving a challenge to tidy up. I think I've solved it for the nose area, but the starboard and underside rear fuselage band, is proving especially challenging to clean up. Had one attempt this afternoon and was not happy with the result, so stepped away and decided to get the petrol strimmer out and tackle the overgrown grass in the garden! After several hours of that, had dinner (a superb spag bol) and cracked open a bottle of red wine!

All things C-47 seem much less challenging now, so tomorrow's task will be to properly sort the rear fuselage dayglo band. I will probably rub everything back and re-do the white, then the yellow then the dayglo. then re-mask and redo the NMF around the band.

Hey ho, the fun of modelling.

Terry

• Like 1

that's a shame.....

did the Alclad eat into the paint underneath? I would have thought that the MRP lacquer should have been able to handle the Alclad.

Hopefully the repair work won'y upset the overall finish!

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2020 at 11:33 PM, trickyrich said:

that's a shame.....

did the Alclad eat into the paint underneath? I would have thought that the MRP lacquer should have been able to handle the Alclad.

Hopefully the repair work won'y upset the overall finish!

The Alclad seemed to find a way under the masking, I suspect when the airbrush had a bit of a glitch and excess paint went on momentarily in those areas. Alclad is unforgiving when applied too excessively it seems.

Anyway, the clean up job is taking time but careful work is paying off.

Originally I tried just cleaning up the dayglo and then re-airbrushing straight dayglo back on but that wasn't going to work:

IMG20200429155618 IMG20200429155555

So then it was some minor re-masking ready for the three steps to restore the dayglo.......

IMG20200427140218 IMG20200427140210

Step 1, white undercoat:

IMG20200429181954 IMG20200429182000

Step 2, yellow base coat:

IMG20200430142900 IMG20200430142938

Step 3, was reinstate dayglo which I'm happy to say worked ok.

Next task was to mask everything up in readiness to apply the royal blue around engine nacelles and nose. 

More of that soon

Terry

• Like 2