Scandinavian Caravelle

My first completed model this year - Amodel 1/144 SE-210 Caravelle III. Finished with TwoSix desals, plus a few extra items from a Liveries Unlimited sheet that I found just before applying the final coat of varnish.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nils

• Like 42

Well done Nils, the Caravelle is such a lovely classic airliner and it seems to look even better in that classic SAS livery. You’ve done a grand job of this.. very impressed. 

Cheers.. Dave 

The Caravelle is only done by Airfix and Amodel in this scale, I think. I have not seen the Airfix kit so I cannot comment on that one. But it is rather old and I suspect it is not up to today's standards. The Amodel kit is quite nice and easy to build. The trickiest bit is perhaps the clear parts for the cabin windows, three on each side, which required some filling and sanding. I prefer to use decals for the windows in this scale anyway. The wing fences are etched metal, included in the kit.

I could have entered this model in the Nordic GB, had it not been that I started building it last August, and was at least 50% done by the time the GB started.

Nils

Edited by Vingtor
  • Like 1

That's a beauty Nils, thanks for sharing. The SAS scheme really suits the Caravelle and you have done it full justice.

Can I make one suggestion? If you build another Caravelle you might want to consider using the excellent "photo real" windows from Authentic Airliner Decals. I used them on a modified Airfix kit a few months ago and really liked them.

All the best

Dave G

3 hours ago, Vingtor said:

The Caravelle is only done by Airfix and Amodel in this scale, I think.

There is also a Mistercraft kit, which I have somewhere. It may make a decent in-flight stand model but won;t be anything like as detailed and accurate as yours. 

Still, all Caravelles are beautiful, as yours shows very clearly!

5 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Can I make one suggestion? If you build another Caravelle you might want to consider using the excellent "photo real" windows from Authentic Airliner Decals. I used them on a modified Airfix kit a few months ago and really liked them.

I have noticed the Authentic Airliner Decals, and I will look for some at Telford in November (or possibly Mosom in April). I don't build many airliners though, so it's unlikely there will be another Caravelle. But there are plenty of other types waiting to be built.

That is beautiful Nils. Not normally an airliner modeller but there is something about the Caravelle that has always looked good to my eye - a touch of gallic charm I guess and it has a nice face (🙂). Photographed one taking off at East Midlands Airport in the early 90's when I'd thought they had all gone. Would like to hunt out my slide and model it..........

Cheers

Malcolm

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

.... and it has a nice face (🙂).

The Caravelle's nose area and cockpit layout were actually taken directly from the de Havilland Comet.