Eduard 1/48 F6F-3 Profipack, VF-38 #117

BlueNosers352nd

Was going to do the Hasegawa F6F-3, but I found this scheme today and had to do it.    So this is what I will be tackling, eventually, for this GB.

49516704036_1bde01f19b_c.jpg

VF-38 F6F-3 Hellcat #117

49516183703_71d5bb7423_c.jpg

VF-38 F6F-3 Hellcat #117

Edited by BlueNosers352nd
Wrong VF
  • Like 12

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now that both the P-51B and Apache A-36 are off the bench, it's time to start the Hellcat.  In between the final details drying on the Stangs, I got the cockpit all done on the Hellcat.  Not sure this pretty white background will stay up or not, but I figured I'd snap pics while it's setup.  Right now my photo setup is in my wood shop.  It has the best lighting and most space.

Custom mixed Tamiya paints for the Interior Green.  Eduard did such a nice job on the Instrument Panel, it's a shame they didn't do much on the side panels.  Oh well, not much seen when button up.

49712638401_491a235fbd_c.jpg

49712638301_ec3186bb3f_c.jpg

• Like 8

Been a busy couple days.  This is my first Eduard kit and I was a little concerned with how the wings attached..........and I was surprised.  Pretty easy if ask me..........just some minor tweaks as the glue setup.  Got one little clear piece to put in the port wing and she is ready.  Even took the time to redo the fuel tank by adding the spine on.  Will work on the filler cap tomorrow.

49721616128_94f3be361e_c.jpg

49721615958_7008490723_c.jpg

• Like 8

Progress as of yesterday.  Got the underside painted with Tamiya White.  Was going to use Mr Color white, but I don't know if it has gone bad or what..........but I couldn't get a good spray out of it.  Either it was too thick or I got it to thin.  Had a hard time finding the sweet spot for spraying.  Mr Color was separated when I opened it, but I mixed it thoroughly only to have issues.  After that Tamiya White, I went back with highly thinned Tamiya Neutral gray and lightly sprayed the panel lines, etc.  Then wen back and touched up some white after that.  Need to work on the thinning ratio for the panel line color.

EDIT:  Yup, just noticed the underside of the elevators needed painting.  In my head I was thinking the same as the top side.  Being fixed!

49737752758_b1032a4612_c.jpg

• Like 5

Ahhh, I love when things spiral outta control.  Airbrush started doing some weird random splatter thing while doing some weathering and now every step I take just takes me farther down in the dumps.  1 step forward, 6 steps back.  So flipping close!  Knew it was to good to be true..........this kit was coming together like butter.  Why do I even bother?

• Sad 3

Paint issue or air ? I get splatter from time to time its not the end, wet sand it real quickly and respray when it happens. I built a plane from the same unit about 2 years ago. 
tqtPeiq.jpg

I think they look quite smart in this scheme and would consider another one. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Paint issue or air ? I get splatter from time to time its not the end, wet sand it real quickly and respray when it happens. I built a plane from the same unit about 2 years ago.

I think it's a paint issue.  Super thin, accentuating the panel lines.  Light coats over and over to build it up.   This was an all of a sudden big blast of liquid, with the uhu tack still on so then it left marks where it ran and pooled.  Had to sand those down and touch up.  Which, for me, where you sand you never get a good edge to blend smoothly.  Always a ridge left.

I don't know if the tip was drying and then something released letting paint go or if I was moving around to much and it spilled over the top?  I've had it where I got to spazzy with my hand movements and it sloshes over the top, runs down and spatters.  I don't think it was that though.

I don't know if I can pin point what happened, it was flowing so nice and then bam!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

I don't know if I can pin point what happened, it was flowing so nice and then bam!

Wonder, if because it was so thin that it built up in the cap and the got to point and spattered?  Hmmm 

I have the other style cap too (kinda like 4 blunt spikes).  Could also try without the cap since I am doing such fine lines.

I think it all started with old Mr Color that I tried to make work.

• Like 1

Keep a Q-tip soaked in thinner handy, every minute or so check the tip of your A/B and swirl the tip clean using the Q-tip. I find that helps a lot with paint drying on the end of the A/B. Pull the needle back but don't press down to let air flow that way you wont damage your needle.   

• Like 2

I'VE LOST MY DECAL SHEET!!!!

Well that is just grand, just realized I have lost my decal sheet.  Not sure where it went.  Maybe got mixed in with the recent mix of boxes and what not from the Mustang STGB builds and those have been long burned.  Unless my kit didn't come with it.  Now what to do?   Eduard does show a Wet Transfer set on their site, but $27 US.......which seems crazy.  Montex makes a Mask/Decal set for this airplane.

Trying their support link on their page for Lost or Damaged items.  See what happens there first.

On a nice note...

I did get the painting finished, just gotta mess with some pictures.  Problem with a tri-colored plane is you lose parts of it shooting on a Black or White background.  Gonna tried the baby blue background I have.  Worse comes to worse I'll use this craft paper roll I have for a back ground.

:headbang:

• Sad 2

Ahhh Christ, that’s crap luck! If I had them I would post them out to you, but only have a similar scheme in 1/72 not 1/48. I hope you get some luck getting them as I love this paint job and seeing as you have managed to sort it out it would be a shame to not get it finished. 

Rob

Here's how she sits at the moment.  If anyone has suggestions (for the future) on masking edges like on the fuselage where it meets the wing.  Had a hard time doing that, to the point I see I got a little touch up to do right where the wing meets the fuselage.

49754833642_9636551900_c.jpg

49754494921_7c06c44814_c.jpg

20 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Ahhh Christ, that’s crap luck! If I had them I would post them out to you, but only have a similar scheme in 1/72 not 1/48. I hope you get some luck getting them as I love this paint job and seeing as you have managed to sort it out it would be a shame to not get it finished.

No problem, thanks for the thought though.  Sent a message to Eduards support link, we'll see what happens.  I honestly don't remember ever seeing them.  Oh well, we'll see how it goes and go from there.  Fortunately not rushed for time.

• Like 4

Decals started, but then we come to what seems to be my Kryptonite in the modeling world.............stars n bars.  As of late they seem to fight me.   The upper wing one actually is doing well, but where did that brown smudge come from?  What the?  The fuselage one, cross your fingers!  Despite pushing air out with the brush and rolling with a cotton bud, those panels lines just love air.  Light slice and some more Micro sol, let's see what happens.  I'm doubtful!  Rather use masks, but apparently I am to stupid to use them.

And the stencils are just horrendous, well the white ones any how.  The black are red are good.  Some of the white ones are half printed, missing, or kinda smudgey.  Not to mention they are all labeled wrong.

49756811423_da6c1af37f_c.jpg

Forgot the picture
  • Like 9

23 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Had a hard time doing that, to the point I see I got a little touch up to do right where the wing meets the fuselage.

When I did mine I sprayed the Dark blue first then masked around the top of the wing first with Tamiya tape out so there was no overspray. Then with white poster tac worms. The Dark blue under the intermediate blue acts like a black base so you get some effect from it. Not a bad thing as the exhaust staining goes through the area. 

• Thanks 1

Well I've had some success (for the most part) on the main decals.  There are a couple stencils on there, but I think for the most part I am going to leave them off.  The stencil sheet they give you (from 2012), the whites stencils are awful.  I need to work on my Tamiya spraying, especially the over spray.  The over spray from the underside white is causing a texture issue above and leaving some silvering in the clear areas of the 117's.  I've poked and sliced a bunch and gotten quite a bit gone but their is still some there.  SUGGESTIONS?  Also in hind sight, I should of treated the propeller decals as seperate pieces.  The give you both parts in one strip and got a few spots under the clear there as well.  On the upper port wing, the Star and Bar was almost perfect over the silky smooth Mr Color paint.  Might have to use Mr Paint more often.

49762286697_0e231fa4fb_c.jpg

49761956236_57b196c938_c.jpg

49761956181_2512f1baa9_c.jpg

• Like 6