Eduard EDK11132 1:48 MiG-23BN

Andy350

Not so much work in progress yet, as I haven't actually had it delivered yet.  This will be my Eduard kit and my first MIG.  I was torn between this and an F-4, but this was going for a good price so opted for this.  The parts are made by Trumpeter, it has  Eduard Brassin ejection seat and steelbelts, 9 decal options, and a 92 page pictirial book on the MIG-21BN.  Looking forward to starting, and I know I've said this before but, I really want to build this with the canopy open.  As soon as I can I will post up pics of parts etc.

If anyone has any advice on these kits please feel free to comment.

49516192763_ba76f9c3aa.jpg

• Like 2

I built one of the trumpeter boxed MiG-23 kits a while back, and used aftermarket bits from a number of companies for it. The Eduard bits were definitely the better ones, especially the resin parts. I used their exhaust,  which while very nice will be virtually impossible to see properly. Their main gear bay and detail set is really nice, and is quite a visible part of the plane, but boy is that main gear weird and a pain to get sitting properly.

I used the Eduard photo etched set too, and the best advice I can give on this is to avoid using the parts for the auxiliary intake scoops,  they are not worth the bother.

Lastly, after you have built the kit, complete with a very complicated multi colour splinter camouflage paint job, installed the gear, open cockpit canopy, don't drop it on the floor. I think you can guess were that last bit of advice originates.

Nevertheless,  for about 20 minutes I had a fantastic looking MiG-23 that the Trumpeter kits builds to, especially with a bit of aftermarket stuff. You will enjoy building it.

Cheers 

Les

Edited by lesthegringo
Spelling as usual
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, lesthegringo said:

I built one of the trumpeter boxed MiG-23 kits a while back, and used aftermarket bits from a number of companies for it. The Eduard bits were definitely the better ones, especially the resin parts. I used their exhaust,  which while very nice will be virtually impossible to see properly. Their main gear bay and detail set is really nice, and is quite a visible part of the plane, but boy is that main gear weird and a pain to get sitting properly.

I used the Eduard photo etched set too, and the best advice I can give on this is to avoid using the parts for the auxiliary intake scoops,  they are not worth the bother.

Lastly, after you have built the kit, complete with a very complicated multi colour splinter camouflage paint job, installed the gear, open cockpit canopy, don't drop it on the floor. I think you can guess were that last bit of advice originates.

Nevertheless,  for about 20 minutes I had a fantastic looking MiG-23 that the Trumpeter kits builds too, especially with a bit of aftermarket stuff. You will enjoy building it.

Cheers 

Les

Thanks Les, very helpful.  I need to build these in a sensible order, and I really want to enjoy the process.  The plan is to have the open canopy.  I read some advice saying to fix the wings in place, how did you configure yours, I was thinking of building with wheels down and wings swept back.

I liked the rather gawky look of the aircraft on the ground with everything open, so mine is set with the wings forward. I did fix them by cementing everything solid, as apart from ensuring the correct position of the wings, it meant I could close the gap in the fuselage seals wings would retract into prperly. Of course, it also imbues the assembly with more strength,  but not enough for a concrete floor!

Even with the wings forward it does fit comfortably into one of those Ikea glass cabinets,  so it is not a very big bird

Cheers 

Les

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lesthegringo said:

I liked the rather gawky look of the aircraft on the ground with everything open, so mine is set with the wings forward. I did fix them by cementing everything solid, as apart from ensuring the correct position of the wings, it meant I could close the gap in the fuselage seals wings would retract into prperly. Of course, it also imbues the assembly with more strength,  but not enough for a concrete floor!

Even with the wings forward it does fit comfortably into one of those Ikea glass cabinets,  so it is not a very big bird

Cheers 

Les

Thanks again Les.  I would like to go for the open look, so maybe it would look odd swept back, I can see that making it solid might be a good move for me, I'm very clumsy.  Sorry to hear you dropped yours, were you able to salvage.  Was there a work in progress and RFI posted here?

Yes, I  was able to salvage it, except the main canopy has a big crack in it. I keep meaning to deal with that by putting a 'canvas' cover on it, which I've seen was commonly used on Soviet aircraft when parked - maybe to stop yellowing or crazing of the plexiglass? It still looks good, the splinter camo was an expermental one, and so was the use of the resin and so forth, I was trying to get experience with it.

I seem to remember doing some posts either on here or ARC about the comparison of the aftermarket bits, not sure if I actually did any proper WIP stuff though. The only real WIP I ever did was the Jasmine F-6F, and the photobucket debacle essentially nixed that, so probably the same happened to my posts on the MiG

Cheers 

Les

• Like 1

Found the thread, and it looks like Photobucket reversed their stupidity and so the pictures are still there, the pictures are blurred out in the forum but click on them and they appear clearly

Hope this helps

Les

Edited by lesthegringo
  • Thanks 1

Great subject matter. always liked the MIG 23. I had built close to 40 years or so ago the Hasegawa 1/72nd scale MIG 23. Only mod I did was cut the slats and flap to place in the lowered position. I was at RAF Lakenheath and had purchased a great number of the ESCI kits and have 3 of their MIG 23's in 1/48th scale. Have since bought some Aires and Eduard after market resin because the cockpit in the ESCI is flat surfaces and decals. So I'll watch this build with great interest.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

you should/ could probably think about investing in this:

http://www.coldwarstudio.com/MiG-23 BN Nose Correction Set Updated for Trumpeter product/

Thanks for posting this up, this is a bit above my level right now, and feel that whilst trying to improve I would make too many mistakes.

I've recently bought this kit too Andy, also for a great price, same vendor I'd imagine. I've bought the CWS studio corrected nose for it but cant decide how to go about it.

Are you building straight OOB?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

I've recently bought this kit too Andy, also for a great price, same vendor I'd imagine. I've bought the CWS studio corrected nose for it but cant decide how to go about it.

Are you building straight OOB?

Was is from the Facebook seller??  I've not got the kit yet, but I was planning to build OOB to be honest, I've spent quite a bit recently, and this is just one of my hobbies!!!  When are you starting yours?

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

did you find the English translation of the booklet yet? Usually Eduard provides this as pdf some time later, ....

thanks for any hints!

I didn't find anything.  But the book should make a great reference to the look when in service.

• Like 1

Yes but bought from him before, always has a few decent bargains, this kit was too good to pass up. Just finishing a Mig-21 and Su-22 UM and then I'll be starting, a couple of weeks probably.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Yes but bought from him before, always has a few decent bargains, this kit was too good to pass up. Just finishing a Mig-21 and Su-22 UM and then I'll be starting, a couple of weeks probably.

lol, My T-55, BA-10 and the Vickers tank were from that chap as well.  I was the same with the MIG, too good to turn down.  I've not build a jet with this much detail before, I'm hoping I don't mess it up.

23 hours ago, f111guru said:

Great subject matter. always liked the MIG 23. I had built close to 40 years or so ago the Hasegawa 1/72nd scale MIG 23. Only mod I did was cut the slats and flap to place in the lowered position. I was at RAF Lakenheath and had purchased a great number of the ESCI kits and have 3 of their MIG 23's in 1/48th scale. Have since bought some Aires and Eduard after market resin because the cockpit in the ESCI is flat surfaces and decals. So I'll watch this build with great interest.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

The ESCI/ Italeri kit... pffff

Better try to sell them... and get 1 Trumpeter/ Eduard kit for them... sorry...

It can be built though... ask me...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

The ESCI/ Italeri kit... pffff

Better try to sell them... and get 1 Trumpeter/ Eduard kit for them... sorry...

It can be built though... ask me...

As some of my fellow modellers who know me I've always been a glutton for punishment. I'll do the 2 I have aftermarket parts for and see how they come out. Once my workshop is completed I'll start posting what I have lined up. Currently in a snow and low temp delay.

Happy Modelling,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2