1/144 BURAN from ARK Model

This is my first thread on BM and I shall soon find out how many images I can post in one shot ...  :doh:

I was browsing Britmodeler a few months ago and saw a thread about this new kit ... and as I've built quite a few Shuttles in all scales, I wanted this one too. Bought it from eBay and received it 3 weeks later ...

So, over Christmas 2019, I started it ...

2v2H9fzTGxAnAAS.jpg

The fit isn't too bad at all ... 

2v2HUGTHmxAnAAS.jpg

2v2HUGTZVxAnAAS.jpg

Nice set of decals ... no Black belly decals but they're on the sheet, in White.

2v2HUGTQhxAnAAS.jpg

Assembling the Payload Bay ... the instructions are not all that clear, but with a little thought, it goes together nice and snugly.

2v2H9K2vqxAnAAS.jpg

The landing gear doors are, well ... I guess they're designed to be displayed open.

2v2H9K2EgxAnAAS.jpg

I also bought the PE for this kit and it looks pretty good.

2v2H9K2aGxAnAAS.jpg

There's a gap between wing and fuselage, but I'm thinking it was my error. I glued and clamped the Payload Bay to the fuselage sides and shouldn't have. This is where the instructions were weak.

2v2H9K2bhxAnAAS.jpg

But, I placed some .005" styrene scraps in the gap and will trim and sand later

2v2H9K2KCxAnAAS.jpg

2v2H9K21LxAnAAS.jpg

... more patching ...

2v2H98epWxAnAAS.jpg

First sanding of the belly ...

2v2H98ecGxAnAAS.jpg

The wing patches will need just a little filler ...

2v2H98ewnxAnAAS.jpg

PE on the RMS ( Remote Manipulator System ). In the background you can see an RMS that I've modified

2v2H98efqxAnAAS.jpg

PE for the window. I had glued the kit's clear windows and THEN put on the PE frames. The PE stands proud of the surface and I suppose, I wasn't to use the kit's clear windows ... 

2v2H98e6yxAnAAS.jpg

But I shimmed the height difference and will sand and file and make it look ... well, we'll see.

2v2H98et5xAnAAS.jpg

2v2H98eYNxAnAAS.jpg

2v2H98e7WxAnAAS.jpg

2v2H98eRGxAnAAS.jpg

After a lot of sanding and priming and sanding, it'll look fine under a coat of paint.

2v2HuSvMCxAnAAS.jpg

20 images ... now let's see if this gets posted!

IPD

• Like 20

All 20 images seem to have come through!

Really great start on a nice subject!  I do like the P.E., it adds an additional layer of detail to the model. Good work blending the windows inline with the body - looks like a pretty accurate representation. The windows of the Space Shuttle appear slightly more "recessed" than the Burans in most images i see. 

So, from the smoothly polished underside, am i right in guessing your going to model and pose it quite close to the box art? 

Great first WIP post and will be keeping an eye on this as it progresses! 

Thanx Kushan ... I won't necessarily be posing this as the Box art, but I do like to show these winged vehicles with their Payload Bay doors open ... there's a lotta detail in those Payload Bays!

Onto the the PB doors ... this is the instruction sheet for the PE radiator panels.

2v2HJWuthxAnAAS.jpg

The little plastic nubs on the styrene door need to be removed so the PE can sit flush ...

2v2HJWuYCxAnAAS.jpg

I taped 'em in order to glue 'em down ... the tape acts only as a hinge because placement of the Rad panels is pretty tight.

2v2HJWuRgxAnAAS.jpg

The PE is nice and are thin sheets of brass. I had painted them Model Master Chrome

2v2HJWuwWxAnAAS.jpg

First coat of paint ... more of a primer coat

2v2HuSvjVxAnAAS.jpg

Masking for the RCC panels on the wing leading edge

2v2HJWuBSxAnAAS.jpg

2v2HJWufmxAnAAS.jpg

2v2HJWu7LxAnAAS.jpg

Starting to add the belly decals ... they haven't settled yet, but you can see the number of pieces involved.

These are Black decals ... and ...

2v2HEqrbyxAnAAS.jpg

... these are White decals

2v2HEqrZFxAnAAS.jpg

Nice wing decal

2v2HEqrQdxAnAAS.jpg

I didn't realize that I needed to paint the hinge 'black' ... I assumed the decal would cover the tail ... 

2v2HEqr1gxAnAAS.jpg

The decals don't meet on top, I will assume this was my error ...

2v2HEqrpWxAnAAS.jpg

Elevon undersides ...

2v2HEyoZzxAnAAS.jpg

Now, I've hit a snag. I'm wondering if ARK Model has printed the decals or the instructions incorrectly ...

Elevon Decals are #30, 32, 35, 37 and #30, 32 don't fit ... at least, I hope it's not my mistake.

2v2HEyo3JxAnAAS.jpg

You can see that decals 30 and 32 aren't configured correctly, or are my eyes and brain not working right?

2v2HEyoHjxAnAAS.jpg

I've contacted ARK Model a couple of times, one to find out how to order another sheet of decals, because I ruined a Wing decal and then ... when I went to apply these Elevon decals and noticed that they're incorrect, contacted them again, this time to 'Andrey' , to let him know and ask for a free sheet, and have gotten no results. 

Where I'm not certain, is decals will go through a process of test fits and I just can't understand how this could have got through their QA checks ... but I also can't see where it's my error ...

So, I've this build has stalled ... is anybody else building this kit?

i'll keep you all posted!

IPD

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Ima Penin Diaz said:

Where I'm not certain, is decals will go through a process of test fits and I just can't understand how this could have got through their QA checks ... but I also can't see where it's my error ...

Oh heck.  Looks like someone just copied and pasted them, forgetting to flip them after. :doh: It's a bad mistake, but sadly it's also an easy one to make. :shrug:  I would have been online picking one up if I hadn't seen your last post.  Thanks for blazing a trail, and I hope you get it sorted :yes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was inspired by various thread here to purchase one of these kits. Stupidly I went to EBay. My Spidie sense always tingles when I see something for sale from Russia but this time I took a gamble. A month or so later I actually did get an Ark Buran in the mail. Kit #AK 14402. It seems to be the second release as it's got the placement sheet for the tile decals. Just didn't have the actual tile decals. Tried to give a neutral feedback on EBay, as he did send me the kit, but it wasn't as pictured (his pictures showed the tile decal sheet with the parts.) He messaged me on EBay:

"vlad**** has asked if you can revise the feedback that you left for Ark Models, 14402, Soviet Space Shuttle Buran Model Kit 1/144 (323779621441).

"Reason: Other

"Message from seller: The buyer has been sent a new product in a sealed box. The product label corresponds to the one on my page."

Thinking that "has" meant that he has sent a replacement, I changed my feedback to positive. Apparently tenses don't mean what they seem in Russian. "Has" in Russian must mean "had", as in "originally" sent.

And have since received nothing. Did an EBay conflict thing the other day and he responded by telling me basically to FO. Since the tile decal placement sheet was in the box, I now suspect that he removes the sheets from his kits and is one of those who is selling the decals on EBay for as much as the kits are worth. 

Had contacted Ark Models directly last week, as at least one other thread here, as well as the Airfix Space Modeling special, says that Ark can supply missing decals sheets. Explained to them what happened, twice, and the second time actually got a response:

"Dear Mr.(Starseeker), Thank you for your e-mail. We don't sell decals separately, sorry. Please send me the photo of the Buran box that you bought on Ebay. Thank you! Best regards, Julia Neshina, ARK Model Team"

Whatever that means. Sent the photo but never heard anything back, They have my email address but no other contact info so obviously nothing is going to happen there. 

So the Ark Buran moves from the front of my to-do queue to the maybe-in-my-lifetime also-ran bin, probably to end up as spare parts for something, or to be unloaded at a garage sale someday.

Lessons learned:

Never have any business dealings with anyone named "Vlad", which is probably evident to anyone older than seven years of age these days. 

Never think that you can resolve any conflict through EBay.

Never, ever buy anything from Russia.

Never, ever have any dealings with a Russian business if you actually want what you think you're getting. 

So: see you EBay. See you, Vlad. See you, Ark Models. And see you, injection 1/144 Buran. 

I did try.

But: nice build so far! I'm really, really envious!

Edited by starseeker
Bad, bad typing.
  • Sad 4

Starseeker ... I'm a little more optimistic than you are, my fellow Canadian. I've never had an issue with eBay, including buying this Buran model. It got here in 3 weeks with no problems.

My issue is with ARK Model. Julia Neshina had responded to me as well, when I made my initial enquiry about the Buran back in Sept 2019 ... but I haven't heard from them since I asked about the Decal replacement or info on how to acquire said Decal sheet. I haven't heard from 'Andrey' either ... and on the thread here on BritMo's discussion forum, there was a responder who seemed quite informed about the Buran kit ... and hoped he would post something here on this thread too. But, no joy!

Seeing your response from ARK that they don't sell replacement decal sheets ... well, shucks! But unlike you, I'll continue with this build after having heard that and fix the decals as well as I can.

But, I shall continue to bother them, ARK Model that is ... Russian or not.

Thanx for your input Starseeker and many thanx for your comment on this build of  mine!

IPD

• Like 1

From Julie at Ark:

Dear (Starseeker), I don't see on the box the special sticker marked that this kit contains a large super-decal. There are two version of Buran kit on the market - one (early version) with a small decal and another (late version) with a large decal and a gold sticker on the front side of the box. I'm afraid that you are faced with a 'dishonest' seller on E-bay. I can advise you to buy the kits only from the official distributors and model shops. As a manufacture we have the responsibility only for mistakes in the complete set but not for someone's tricks. Best regards, ARK Model Team _________________ +7 (495)316-98-66 www.ark-models.org [email protected]

Bottom line: Don't buy from Ebay! And don't expect any help from Ark. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, starseeker said:

From Julie at Ark:

Dear (Starseeker), I don't see on the box the special sticker marked that this kit contains a large super-decal. There are two version of Buran kit on the market - one (early version) with a small decal and another (late version) with a large decal and a gold sticker on the front side of the box. I'm afraid that you are faced with a 'dishonest' seller on E-bay. I can advise you to buy the kits only from the official distributors and model shops. As a manufacture we have the responsibility only for mistakes in the complete set but not for someone's tricks. Best regards, ARK Model Team _________________ +7 (495)316-98-66 www.ark-models.org [email protected]

Bottom line: Don't buy from Ebay! And don't expect any help from Ark. 

Unfortunate outcome!!

I have also been inspired to look at getting one of these kits -  was this the seller/item you were looking at ( EBay Buran Model Kit W/ Superdecal ) - want to ensure i dont meet a similar fate!

Have to say I regularly buy from a Vlad in the Ukraine and he's exceptionally good in terms of service and replacements (he always opens the kits folds the Boxes flat and bubble wrap the sprue to sabe postage .so they are not all bad .sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience 😐

I received a response from ARK Model ...

Dear Sir
Sorry but we cannot help you - from Jan. 2020 we don't sell Buran decals separately. 
I can advise you to try to find the decal on E-Bay for example. 

Best regards,
ARK Model Team

I then emailed Tom at New Ware thinking they might pick up the ball and asked if New Ware had plans to make and sell these Decals for the Buran but ... Nope.

For those of you who may want to buy this kit off of eBay, if the box has a Gold sticker on it, it will have the BIG Decal in it. See my first post in this thread.

No Gold sticker, No BIG decal ... it'll save you some grief.

I'm thinking, I may buy another one ... we shall see ... meantime, this build is on hold ... :whistle:

• Sad 3

Bergemot Decals  sells the tile decal sheet! The same sheet that Ark puts in their kits. It's $30 Can w shipping to Canada. That'll put my Buran at $100C with the little etch kit I originally got for it. That's more than most state of the art 1/48 aircraft kits - as much as I spent on a 1/48 Hasegawa F-22 with a couple Airies and Eduard add-ons.  Still debating.

Must be a different Vlad. This one doesn't open the kits, flatten boxes, or offer help in any way. And this kit came from Russia. 

If only the kits with gold stickers come with the full decal sheet, I wonder why my kit w/o the sticker came with the tile decal sheet placement instructions? I still wonder if my decal sheet wasn't removed and the kit re-shrink wrapped. Pretty easy to do and the sheets from 3d party vendors were selling for as much as the kit. Anyway, moving on, for now. I'll keep watching the progress of the builds here, tho'. Looking good! 

• Sad 1

The decals from Begemot, on eBay, are ... well, the auction was over on February 20th ...  :thumbsdown:

Anyway, I emailed Begemot and they do have the Decal sheet ... and they have a distributor here in Canada, so-o-o ... I'll see how I can buy one, and get it!

Starseeker, thanx for your comments ... and I guess, you'll just have to decide if you wanna build this kit ... or not.  :hmmm:

• Like 1

Decided that I was in for a pound, what's - well, a whole lot of pennies more? Contacted Bergamot (above) and they said it would be $23 US/~$30 Can to Canada, cut into 3 pieces for mailing. And I thought about it, emailed back and asked how to order and pay, once last week and then again this week, and have heard nothing. The guys who took all the decals out of the Buran kits and resold them on EBay seem to have run out of decals. And a look the other day of the various Buran kits on EBay showed only one with the huge gold sticker indicating the tile decals on the box. If you're buying this kit on EBay, beware.

Words like "vaporware" come to mind. (Along with a whole lot of other words.) 

Never been so frustrated by a modelling attempt in my life. So back into the spares bin. Life is too short. 

If anyone has a tile decal sheet, before you use it, scan it at high res and back up the scans! You've got something irreplaceable. 

Edited by starseeker
  • Sad 1

I had emailed Begemot and received a response, from Andrey, within the hour. He indicated the same cost and the same indication that the sheet would have to be cut up to fit in the envelope.

That was about 4 days ago ... he will get back to me with a tracking number when he mails it ... so I can't relate to your schmozzle ... 

Ha! - just found my messages! Did get a reply after all. The decals will be re-printed in mid-May. Andrey will send more info when they happen. In the meantime, I will get my name in. Almost spring here, and so almost then end of my modelling season. Given my backlog right now, maybe the Buran will go under the Christmas tree for a second time? This time complete with tiles? Make up for being the second most disappointing Christmas present ever. Not including socks. 

I'll keep watching and enjoying your build. Good luck! 

• Like 1

You must have gotten the last sheet. I'm very happy for you. You're actually working on the model and you need them. And the rest of us win, too, as we get to enjoy your work in progress. Looking forward to it very much. Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hurray! - just ordered a set of re-stocked decals today from kotey. Lock down there notwithstanding, he said he'd try to get them in the mail next week. 

How are you progressing on your Buran? kotey is on this forum, so if you haven't sorted the elevon issue, I'd try to contact him and see if he can't get you a corrected replacement set. Worth a try if you're still stuck. He can be reached by pm or at:  [email protected]

In the meantime, it's a pretty amazing looking start. Looking forward to seeing more. Stay safe!

Edited by starseeker
added an email address
  • Like 1

I have done NOTHING on this kit ... I ordered a set of BURAN decals from Andrey and he mailed 'em in early March.

Just a couple of days ago, I was going to email him and ask if he had indeed sent them, because I haven't received them.

But his tracking number, indicated that it entered the Russian mail system in early March and, I suppose, it's delivery to near Toronto, has been delayed due to this ... situation.

This BURAN has been put on the back burner as I'm building 2 or 3 other models ... but my fingers are crossed that the Decal sheet will be delivered ... at some point in the near future!

IPD

• Like 1

Great build.  On the matter of the decals, am I missing something here?  Am I correct, the problem is that the decals for the elevons have not been mirrored?  If yes, why not just print your own decals for the elevons?

Best wishes

I guess, there are two reasons ...

1. if it is indeed their error they need to fix it. If it's MY error in placing the decals, then I need to know that, with a new sheet.

2. The decal film/paper I have, is awful stuff. It's called Papilio and it's thick and not designed for use on scale models ... more likely useful for pix of pets on Coffee Mugs and kid's wagons.

Plus, I erred in the placement of the tile Decals on the nose and I want to repair that. So, still waiting for the new decal sheet ...

IPD

IF I get my decals (I mean, I'm hoping it happens but I'm taking NOTHING for granted with this build, or with this strange new world of ours), and if it is a problem with the decals, I'll scan and print you a fix if you need it. Us Canucks got to stick together - we'll get this thing built no matter what! Talk to you when and if. Take care! 

Edit: Progress so far?  Four days and it's at the  (another?) PO being sorted. Again. As an old prof of mine one said : "Ah, the hobnail boots of the world's postal services..."

Destination Country - Russian Federation(Modify)

Origin Country - Russian Federation(Russian Post):  +7 (495) 956-20-67    Go to official website    [email protected]

2020-05-14

23:26:00

Sorting,344964, Rostov-na-Donu, Russia,Ростов-на-Дону

2020-05-14

09:10:00

Arrived at the local distribution center,344960, Rostov-na-Donu, Russia,Ростов-на-Дону

2020-05-13

21:25:00

Sorting complete,344000, Rostov-na-Donu, Russia,Ростов-на-Дону

2020-05-11

14:02:00

Arrived at the Post office,344000, Rostov-na-Donu, Russia,Ростов-на-Дону

Another edit: It's still moving.

2020-05-20

17:10:00

Arrived at the customs of Russia,102972, Sharapovo, Russia,Шарапово

2020-05-19

17:02:00

Arrived at the local distribution center,102975, Sharapovo, Russia,Шарапово

2020-05-16

14:45:00

Departed from local distribution center,108960, Davydkovo, Russia,Давыдково

2020-05-16

11:46:00

Arrived at the local distribution center,108960, Davydkovo, Russia,Давыдково

In 9 days, it still hasn't made it out of Russia, just  to a different town. But it is a country in a horrible crisis, in the midst of a world in the first wave of a horrible crisis.  1100 km down, 7600 to go. 62 more days, at this rate. Can't help but wonder if I'll even be around to see it arrive, let alone to see it to go under the Christmas tree for a second try. Cheery thought for the day...

June 17, now. Nothing yet.

July 18. Nothing yet. Has anyone received theirs?? 

Edited by starseeker
Updating

• 2 months later...

July 22, 2020. The decals arrived today!! A single 13" x 9 1/2" sheet, cut into three pieces to fit the envelope, in perfect condition. They're quite finely printed, and perfectly in register. The decals themselves are finely mottled gloss and flat so I think it would be prudent to give them an over spray of a decal clear coat before use. Which given my model backlog really won't be before Christmas. But I will get them scanned, just in case I mess something up, given that someday these really might not be available any more. 

I'm so relieved and so happy! Thank you, Andrey! I'll be back one of these days for one or two of your Su-27 sets. Be careful and stay safe! Everyone!