1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk XIV

DJJunis

Hello All,

Thought I'd show you some in progress pictures of my Airfix Spitfire Mk XIV. So far it is very nice. All I have done so far as far as additions are the belts and a Eduard "LooK" instrument panel.  I also thought I add a pilot standing near by preparing for a sortie. He's a Barracuda product. Hope you enjoy the pictures. As always all comments are appreciated.

All the Best!

Don

4Cz0Ah5.jpg

pGTeiNl.jpg

MuJ4CbK.jpg

R7YAlOF.jpg

Sv2NiKW.jpg

xNzOanH.jpg

Ia9It6M.jpg

• Like 10

Nice work so far Don. 

Ive been building one of these on and off over the past few months. It really looks the part when it’s all together. If I can just add a word to the wise if you don’t mind. Plenty of test fitting with the wings. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Nice work so far Don. 

Ive been building one of these on and off over the past few months. It really looks the part when it’s all together. If I can just add a word to the wise if you don’t mind. Plenty of test fitting with the wings. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James

Thanks James..actually the build is quite a bit further along. On the fuselage the oil tank cover on the fuselage needed a filler of plastic on the angled portion. I completely understand about the wings. The lower wing fit really well. you have to make sure the wheel well sides fit properly though. But there is a fuselage to wing gap on the top...big enough to need strip to fill. ... at least on the right wing. Nothing insurmountable of course..just stuff that's annoying.  I'll post more pictures in a week or so. All the Best! Don

• Like 1

Les,

The panel is a true drop in...it is exceptional to be honest. I needed the belts and the LooK package comes with those PLUS the panel. It is a bit more more to splurge once in a while is OK.

Thank you on the figure. I very much appreciate it. I don't do it very often but I thought it would add a little to this particular model. I may look for a Black Lab too just to complete the scene LOL. It is painted with Vallejo acrylics which is also new for me figure painting wise. I really like those paints for most of my modelling now. 

Hope that answers your questions.

All the Best!

Don

Hello All!

Well did quite a bit since the last pictures but it has not been fun. As previously mentioned the wing tops were a very poor fit to the fillets on both sides. So .10 card was added to the wing top trimmed then glued in place but there was still gaps. You can see them as the dark areas along the seam. Now to rescribe and replace any surface detail lost.  It's not going to be easy due to some of the curved areas.  I use CA for most of my filling especially when I have to rescribe. Another rather poor area on the kit is the valve cover bulges on the cowl. Very difficult to fill and sand without loosing the detail. Since I wasn't going to rescribe them I used a slurry of Tamiya putty and Tamiya cement.  Sanded after curing. It turned out OK in my opinion but a shot of primer will tell the tale. As mentioned prior I added some plastic card to the oil cooler cover so it would fit better. You can see that also.  Not sure when the next update will be since it's not a fun stage and I have a couple of other projects going. It also takes me forever when rescribing.   Well I'll leave it at that and show you some pictures. 

All the Best!

Don

onpyUl9.jpg

UjlxdgF.jpg

uheR0Vs.jpg

4Si4Egf.jpg

oiSLm1s.jpg

hMrmt12.jpg

yqcGvg6.jpg v

• Like 1