Phantom FG1, XV586/J, No. 43 Sqn, RAF Leuchars, 1983

Phantom FG1 XV586 was delivered to the Fleet Air Arm in June 1969, serving with 892 NAS aboard Ark Royal until its transfer to the RAF in December 1978. It flew with the famous 'Fighting Cocks' throughout its RAF service, being repainted in light grey in March 1986 following repairs after the nosewheel collapsed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Built mostly oob, although I used Hypersonic slotted tailplanes from 48ers.com and Xtradecals for the 43 Sqn checks and tail badge. Also massive thanks to @iainpeden for donating the serial numbers!

I like this Revell kit, it makes a nice Phantom. I'll probably attempt another grey one at some point, possibly an XT serialled 29 Sqn jet. It's tempting to have about ten!

All comments welcome ...

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 40

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I'll probably attempt another grey one at some point, possibly an XT serialled 29 Sqn jet. It's tempting to have about ten!

All comments welcome ...

The XT-serialled FGR. 2s were fitted for, but not always with, dual controls so there are differences in the rear cockpit: I’ve an idea that someone ( @canberra kid?) posted illustrations from the aircraft manuals depicting these, but it was some time (year’s?) ago.

You’ve done a super job on this kit; I particularly like that it’s not been weathered like a fire-dump refugee and is a reminder of the times when we had an Air Force that had the time, manpower and money to keep its kit looking presentable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember seeing this aircraft at Leuchars many times.  This colour scheme is just 'right' on the Phantom; much more interesting that the plain grey.  Excellent job, very nice.

Graeme

• Thanks 1

On 12/02/2020 at 13:40, moaning dolphin said:

Very nicely done, really looks the part. You know out of your "10" you will need at least one RN version, they cant all be crabs! 😁

Bob

Thanks Bob! I do have a 1/72 FAA one, if that counts? Not sure I could face another FG1 with having to fork out for tailplanes and surgically remove them from the resin sprue! 😂

On 12/02/2020 at 13:42, Mikey-1980 said:

Looks Superb!!

Wonder whats next on the workbench for you?

Thanks Mikey! Well, it was a Tornado GR1 that I started while I waited for the tailplanes to come. It's almost done now, just need to decide on the squadron.

I'm tempted for a 1/48 Lightning F1 next ...

• Like 1

o0o0o00oo0o0o Cannot beat a Lightning.....Looking forward to seeing the Tornado being finished too.

Are their any other aircraft/air forces that wet the appetite?

Something a little different perhaps?

SAAB Draken perhaps?

• Like 1

To be honest @Mikey-1980 I've got a few foreign ones in the stash; up soon there will definitely be a Lakenheath F-111 and Bentwaters A-10, and a Dutch F-16 all in 1/48. I'd like to get a German Starfighter and F-4 too at some point.

Then there's the three Taiwanese jets; two FCK-1s and a Mirage 2000, again all 1/48. My wife is Taiwanese so I bought them when we were over there. 

So much stash so little time! 😂

• Like 1