Un Pura Sangre – Tamiya F-51D Mustang “258” Fuerza Aerea Uruguaya 1/72

Hi all,

I am again happy to be rolling out a completed build and, again, it is the next in my line of F-51Ds. This time she is a machine that was operated by the Fuerza Aerea Uruguaya (the Uruguayan Air Force). She was previously 44-63530 (USAF) and was taken into the FAM (forerunner of the FAU) on the 20th July 1950 with only 15 hours 35 minutes airframe and engine time. She was assigned to the “red” group (there was red, white and blue) within the Grupo de Aviacion No.2 (Caza) (the 2nd fighter group) and was based at Carrasco, Uruguay.  Her career was fairly un-eventful until the 25th October 1955 when she was stuck while parked at Carrasco by T-6D “FAU 364”, slicing through the rear fuselage and rendering her a write off.

She was one of the few Mustangs that flew with the distinctive cat and mouse badge on the tail. Only half a dozen aircraft carried this. A question, however, hangs over the background colour of the badge. It seems from what I have read and seen that this is yellow (as shown) while later preserved machines (FAU 265 in particular) carried it with a blue background. As part of this build, I was supported by Ignacio @Ignacio who sent me a copy of Rolando Grasso Alfaro’s superb reference book on the subject of FAU Mustangs. It helped me enormously.  Thank you, Ignacio.

image (6)

So what did I use? Well:

1.       Kit – Tamiya P-51D Mustang 1/72 (49)

2.       Decals – Aztec “Macho Mustangs” set (thanks to @Julien, plus home printed serials, extra roundels from Armycast, Xtradecal black lining for the dive bombing guidelines, and kit decals for the stencils.

3.       Paints – Humbrol enamels throughout – Metalcote Polished Aluminium (27002), Matt Black, Matt White, Insignia Red (153) and others. Also, I used Colourcoats Insignia Blue and Interior Green.

4.       Aftermarket – the Teardrop radome from ArmyCast

5.       Extras – EZ line for the aerial

6.       Weathering/Washes – Tamiya Weathering Powders, Flory Dirt and a Prismacolor silver pencil

7.       Finished with Humbrol Satincote

I hope you like her.

Martin

DSC_0916

DSC_0923

DSC_0921

DSC_0920

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 52

Thanks Reini. I love the unusual schemes too, as you know. This one presented challenges and I got some slightly wrong. For example, the earlier Mustangs, for most of their FAU career, wore the four roundels in all four wing stations. The Aztec and Armycast sheets only give two. That meant I had to use LF Decals underwing and they have a blue that is too bright :(. Also, on the Aztec decal sheet the blue in the roundels is pretty close to Insignia blue - not correct but I matched it. Once applied, though, they changed to a slightly brighter blue :(.... Ho hum .......

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

15 hours ago, russ c said:

Wow! you`ve done it again Martin, great looking Mustang 

Thanks Russ. I'm not so pleased this time, sadly. I rushed her at the final stages just to clear the decks and she suffered for that. :(. Threading the EZ line was a challenge!

15 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Lovely Martin.  Many thanks again!

Thank you, John. I love this colour scheme. It is very colourful.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

6 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Very nicely finished Mustang. Well done!!

Miguel

Thanks Miguel

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

Another beautiful build, Martin! Keep up the good work. 

Thanks Bill. 

6 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very tasty, I do like a Stang in a different scheme like that, really nice

Me too :). Thanks a lot, mate

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Martin,

A beaut! That ADF football really adds character!

Mike

Thanks Mike. Yes, it does add something, doesn't it :)

4 hours ago, Andre B said:

Very nice modell of an rare Mustang. Like it a lot. Good work!

Cheers / André 

Thanks Andre. 

Martin

Simply beautiful Martin!

I´m glad that the book was helpful. Anything you need from Uruguay just write me!

Really nice to see my little great country represented!

I would like to add that the cover of the book is a photo of an exhibition made in the main avenue in Montevideo, at the Municipal  building.

There were very significant aircraft: Grumman Hellcat and Avenger, Kingfisher, Mustang and others. My father use to talk to me about that exhibition with nostalgia.

I believe all of those planes were sold or scrapped. Hellcats, Avengers and B-25 were scrapped, all of them.

Several P-51 and two Kingfishers were sold to USA, and fortunately are flying or exhibited today.

Best regards

Ignacio

• Like 1

13 hours ago, djos said:

Again exotic Mustang, beautifully finished

Regards Djordje

Thanks Djordje :)

12 hours ago, Ignacio said:

Simply beautiful Martin!

I´m glad that the book was helpful. Anything you need from Uruguay just write me!

Really nice to see my little great country represented!

I would like to add that the cover of the book is a photo of an exhibition made in the main avenue in Montevideo, at the Municipal  building.

There were very significant aircraft: Grumman Hellcat and Avenger, Kingfisher, Mustang and others. My father use to talk to me about that exhibition with nostalgia.

I believe all of those planes were sold or scrapped. Hellcats, Avengers and B-25 were scrapped, all of them.

Several P-51 and two Kingfishers were sold to USA, and fortunately are flying or exhibited today.

Best regards

Ignacio

Thanks Ignacio. You really helped me with the book. For example, I didn't know about the dive bombing striping on the wings. I might upgrade my FAU T-33 sometime. i will let you know :).

Martin

• Like 1

Yet again Martin, you've done a cracking job there and it's great to see a D model Mustang in some different markings.  Well done mate.

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Yet again Martin, you've done a cracking job there and it's great to see a D model Mustang in some different markings.  Well done mate.

Thanks Wez. I appreciate that. You know my likes by now ;).

Martin

9 hours ago, Wez said:

Maybe this might float your boat?

I'll join that, Wez. Like your Heller GB I will only submit one build. The pressure I gave myself with the Mustang STGB was too mtuch, amid a number of non-GB builds. Thanks for the nudge. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

nicely done Martin !!

Another shiny pony in an unusual guise !!

Congrats !!

CC

Thanks CC

1 hour ago, kapam said:

Very nice!

Interesting too - the ADF (?) fairing on the spine really attracts attention.

Congratulations on a top notch build.

:thumbsup:

Thanks mate. Yes, and ADF fairing. 

Martin

11 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'll join that, Wez. Like your Heller GB I will only submit one build. The pressure I gave myself with the Mustang STGB was too mtuch, amid a number of non-GB builds. Thanks for the nudge. 

Martin

Very wise, GB's are meant to be a bit of fun to a common theme, not a reason to put yourself under pressure!

I hope that the Latin Colours GB goes ahead, your knowledge in that area would be invaluable.