Revell 1/144 Type VII C U-boat - FINISHED

MarkSH

Afternoon all,

OK so I was valiantly trying to resist adding another build to the already packed 2020 schedule, but I just watched a you tube video on weathering techniques and have now officially caved!

So, this is a place holder for Revell's 1/144 Type VII C U-boat. For the sake of expedience, It will be completely out of the box, I have no intention of messing around with any PE extras or the like. I still believe it'll make up into a reasonably impressive model and it will also get me well and truly out of my comfort zone.

I'll dig out the kit and post some pictures later.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

... and it will also get me well and truly out of my comfort zone.

Cheers,

Mark.

Same here.I just posted in the chat that I might do a U-boot.

A big change from my normal 1:32 nd planes.

Will follow with interest.

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Afternoon all,

OK so I was valiantly trying to resist adding another build to the already packed 2020 schedule, but I just watched a you tube video on weathering techniques and have now officially caved!

So, this is a place holder for Revell's 1/144 Type VII C U-boat. For the sake of expedience, It will be completely out of the box, I have no intention of messing around with any PE extras or the like. I still believe it'll make up into a reasonably impressive model and it will also get me well and truly out of my comfort zone.

I'll dig out the kit and post some pictures later.

Cheers,

Mark.

Love that GB’s do this and make us think differently about what we build, really nice choice, in looking forward to it.

Rob

• Like 1

Evening everyone,

The aforementioned kit has been retrieved from the very depths of the stash.. appropriate, and here it is:

49517176942_d36246b295_c.jpg

The hull is just over 18in. long, so even at 1/144 it is a substantial model, I'm quite excited by this now.

The reason, if you're wondering, why a committed aircraft modeller should have such a kit, is that my very favourite war novel and film of all time is 'The cruel sea' and so I also (and I do worry incase @Enzo Matrix is reading this!) have Revell's 1/144 HMCS 'Snowberry' with which I have long harboured delusions of creating a double decker display case along with it's submersible adversary.

Fair warning, I am no U-boot experten, indeed for such a floaty thing novice as I it's hard to tell which is the pointy end....just kidding.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Finally got some time to start constructing das Unterseeboot!

49562394496_222a3d7cb4_b.jpg

Hull structure done, good matched fit not much cleaning up to do and the two section pieces make it quite sturdy but with some flexibility for fitting the deck sections.

49561895018_c4f6da5643_b.jpg

The Middle deck section is the only one with any preassembly required, the snorkel assembly fitted.

49562623787_e2909694f7_b.jpg

Rudders, props, shafts and planes fitted...fiddly but again the fit was quite accurate so no dramas except for the starboard plane support arm was snapped on the sprue. I sanded down the prop blades a bit as they were a bit chunky.

49561894703_a9a3602f3e_b.jpg

Bow planes and anchor fitted.

49562623522_1ecb9a53ab_b.jpg

....and the deck sections fitted, again a really sharp and positive fit.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 15

6 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Good to see her underway Mark.
(Not so sure about the ?snorkel? this early in the build.)

The snorkel folds away into the recess, a real working feature!

• Like 2

On 2/11/2020 at 1:57 AM, MarkSH said:

have Revell's 1/144 HMCS 'Snowberry' with which I have long harboured delusions of creating a double decker display case along with it's submersible adversary.

Gidday Mark, an interesting idea. Fans of the book/film "The Enemy Below" could do similar. The boat is coming along nicely. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mark. Good work on what looks to be a very nicely detailed kit. :thumbsup:

On 21/02/2020 at 07:06, MarkSH said:

The snorkel folds away into the recess, a real working feature!

That really is a good idea -it was going to be a question from me too!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Not something I would have expected to see you building Mark, but I totally understand why. There is something about U Boats that makes them such an interesting subject, and there are some great films and TV programmes portraying them, I recently watched "The Enemy Below" myself.

Looking forward to more excellent progress, and especially when it comes to the painting and weathering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Not a great deal of progress but I have managed to build up the conning tower and get a coat of primer onto the boat:

49618886247_cdbeeb1f28_b.jpg

The periscopes are I'm afraid stuck (inadvertently) in the up position so I'll have to treat the model with kid gloves from now on. The primer showed up very little in the way of tidying up to be done showing just how well the hull halves fit together.

49618625031_39b60749bb_b.jpg

The various small and fragile components will be added after the main painting has been completed. The periscopes look awful so I'll have to try and get them unstuck and in their 'down' positions otherwise it'll look odd for surface running.

49618625036_1929febbbd_b.jpg

Just re-watched Das Boot and one of the opening shots is of the U-boat looming out of the green murk, very atmospheric, great film.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 12

On 2/22/2020 at 7:48 AM, exdraken said:

That one looks really nice!

Neither me is a submarine expert though... I heard that there are also yellow ones... 🎶

And pink ones...

MV5BNjM2YTkwNDgtYWRhZi00OWFjLWI4MWItMzVl

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Long time no contribute, apologies but I've been trying to finish off or at least move along a couple of other GB projects, anyway a little bit of time apportioned to the U-boat mainly the base colour application, however, I did manage to get some Tamiya extra thin cement to penetrate the main periscope and get it lowered for a more surface running look but no dice with the smaller forward 'scope I'm afraid.

49761503291_5febd82db9_b.jpg

I followed the schemes outlined in 'Kriegsmarine U-boat colours and markings' (readily available as a.pdf if you search for it) rather than the Revell painting guide. I used Tamiya XF-63 German grey for the lower darker colour, marbled first off and then lightly blanket sprayed over the top to break up the tone a bit. In addition I lightened the XF-63 slightly before spraying directly down on the boat to lighten the upper surfaces of the darker grey. The lighter (top) grey is Tamiya XF-19 Sky grey over XF-63 pre-shading. The next step is to paint the wooden deck sections with Tamiya dark yellow/wooden deck tan wet in wet for some variation as an under painting for the dark grey, which will hopefully be gently rubbed back to reveal the wood effect ( I may try AK's worn effects solution, haven't decided yet).

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

Afternoon all,

I'm enjoying this bit:

49764868823_c474239014_b.jpg

The very nicely molded decking has been brush painted with an uneven 'wood' colour using wet in wet Tamiya Dark Yellow/Buff/Wooden Deck Tan and was then washed with Tamiya Brown panel line accent wash. I then covered that with that with a couple of equally uneven coats of thin dark grey/brown mix, the instructions would have you use a dark grey but when I thought of waterproofed wood I immediately thought of railway sleepers so thought I'd give it a go colour wise and apparently it did weather to brown.

49764868938_22a27ce3ea_b.jpg

Next was a couple of coats with Tamiya Black panel line accent wash, when that was dry, the heavy traffic areas were dragged with some sand paper to expose the wood colour below.

As you can see I have also started the first pass of weathering onto the base colours:

49764868733_38de59f9f6_b.jpg

The same treatment applied the conning tower decking.

49765727567_7cbb9e88ff_b.jpg

Bow weathering first pass, the solvent is still drying.

49764932988_67374a2842_b.jpg

....and the same around the conning tower.

It really is a sweetly molded kit, the representation of the decking is excellent.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 14

Deck weathering looks very good indeed 👍

I did a 1/72 version a few years back, weathered it to death but the deck was the most satisfying bit, yours has come out really well. 

• Thanks 1

Useless info coming up -

I guess the slimmer and shorter forward one would be the "attack" periscope used when closing in on an hostile target - the taller and bigger rear one was for general use when a good distance from any potential enemy - the extra height giving a better long distance view and also a wider angle presumably.

Looking good,

Pete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1