East German Trabant

Here is something different from me, my first car! I have always had a soft spot for the East German Trabant, so this one has always been on my to-build list.

The kit is the Revell 1/24 Scale Trabant. Overall is was a fun build and went together pretty quickly. I hope you like it as much as I do, and please leave any comments you may have. Thanks for looking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 21

You're not the only person interested in these little cars. Check these out.

http://www.trabi-museum.com/home (Berlin)

http://www.trabantmuzeum.cz/en/ (Prague)

They have attainted the fame/popularity in the same way as the old Mini's have in the UK. 

Oh, and by the way. Very nice job. Probably better than the real car from what I've heard. 

• Like 1

Good job there, it's a good kit and you've done well with it. Definitely the right sort of colour for the car too - communist drab is just the thing for it. Only one question - aren't you going to show us any photos of the engine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Spiny said:

Good job there, it's a good kit and you've done well with it. Definitely the right sort of colour for the car too - communist drab is just the thing for it. Only one question - aren't you going to show us any photos of the engine?

"Engine" 😂

Colour is spot-on. But I have never seen one in such a good condition...

• Like 1

Brilliant! I’m a big fan of ‘ordinary’, everyday older cars - I have a French one of my own! - and the Trabi is right up my street (sorry...). One of my work colleagues recently bought a Trabant, albeit with a Daewoo engine and mechanicals, which is painted in a very daring red and looks the business parked alongside the modern BMWs, Audis and MINIs that usually fill the work car park. It certainly has plenty of quirks to keep him occupied!

Jon

• Like 3

On 2/13/2020 at 6:10 AM, Harry Callahan said:

really nice model of the Trabi. And even the colour is bored, but its exactly the right colour.

By the way, for the real Trabi you must wait 13 to 15 years, from ordering till receive it, hard to believe right?

That reminds me of the old joke. A man goes to order his Trabant in East Berlin. He's told it will be delivered in 9 years time. The man asks 'Oh, will it be delivered in the morning or the afternoon?' The official questions 'What does it matter, it's 9 years from now?' To which the man replies 'It's just that I have the plumber coming in the morning!'

On 2/14/2020 at 8:30 AM, Jonners said:

Brilliant! I’m a big fan of ‘ordinary’, everyday older cars - I have a French one of my own! - and the Trabi is right up my street (sorry...). One of my work colleagues recently bought a Trabant, albeit with a Daewoo engine and mechanicals, which is painted in a very daring red and looks the business parked alongside the modern BMWs, Audis and MINIs that usually fill the work car park. It certainly has plenty of quirks to keep him occupied!

Jon

I'd love to own one but I don't think I have enough spare time or cash to keep it running! 

Thanks again everyone for your kind comments.

• Haha 2