1:48 Eduard Bf109 F-4

matto21

Hi all, 

I actually started this back in 2018 but, for a variety of reasons, progress stalled and it remained on the shelf of doom ever since. 

Last night I got the urge to do something different, so I dusted it off and out it came. 

I'd already assembled and painted the cockpit, but in hindsight it was pretty dark. So I applied some shading to lighten things up, followed by some washes and picking out some of the details. 

Screenshot_20200210_092839

Screenshot_20200210_092928

Hopefully tonight I can assemble the IP. 

Thanks for looking 

Matt 

Edited by matto21
  • Like 7

I've now got the fuselage halves together. I'm really not a fan of kits where there are no location pips, it makes it unnecessarily difficult to get everything lined up. 

IMG_20200210_225927

Thanks for looking 

Matt 

Edited by matto21
  • Like 8

Looks like you’re on the right track! Even though they didn’t include alignment pins, looks like you handled the fuselage halves.

Shame about the photobucket “watermark” though, it covers up your fine work!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

Looks like you’re on the right track! Even though they didn’t include alignment pins, looks like you handled the fuselage halves.

Shame about the photobucket “watermark” though, it covers up your fine work!

Ah thanks, I wasn't aware of the Photobucket watermark. Can you tell me if they are better now? 

Matt 

4 hours ago, matto21 said:

Ah thanks, I wasn't aware of the Photobucket watermark. Can you tell me if they are better now? 

Matt 

1000%! Is it a setting in photobucket or did you host them elsewhere?

Thanks for making the change, and sharing your build with us!

• Like 1

A bit more progress tonight as I've managed to assemble and fit the wings. Fit was not quite as good as I expected, but maybe that's down to me! 

IMG_20200212_223544_945

IMG_20200212_223544_955

Sanding the seams has destroyed some of the panel lines, so I'll need to do a bit of rescribing. The eagle eyed will notice the lack of a yellow fuel pipe in the cockpit in the photo above. It snapped when being removed from the sprue and one part disappeared into the ether! 

Matt 

• Like 3

Just spotted this WIP Matt - Perhaps you already know but there should be a visible seam along the top of the rear fuselage - hope you haven't overdone the sanding!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Hi all, 

Not as much progress as I'd hoped, but a busy few days and a non-tired toddler put paid to my plans! 

In the time I had available, I decided to paint the prop, and apply some weathering to it, just as an experiment in achieving a worn finish. 

IMG_20200214_223450

And a cruel close-up... 

Screenshot_20200214_223904

I've also managed to get the airframe pretty much assembled, at least as much as possible. 

Matt 

• Like 7

Slow night tonight and not a very exciting post I'm afraid. But it's good for me to be able to look back at the steps I took with the model. 

Anyway, I painted the spinner using LifeColor Incinerated White and, well, it's okay - I'm not totally happy with the finish. 

IMG_20200215_232122

I also painted the rudder using a mix of Mr Hobby H33 Russet and Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red. I then added white to the mix and applied some subtle mottling but found it looked a bit pink. To fix this I added a drop of H33 to the gloss varnish which evened things out again. 

IMG_20200215_232057

Thanks for looking 

Matt 

Edited by matto21
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Red rudder, white propeller spinner, I bet the little money I have that you're building Hans Joachim Marseille's F-4/Trop.

You betcha! I know it's a common choice but I'm a big fan of this aircraft. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Crimea River said:

I like what I'm seeing so far. How did you achieve the effect on the prop. Looks like the old salt trick.

I considered the salt method, but I often get a powdery residue left on the parts afterwards. This time I sprayed the lightened colour through a piece of scouring pad. 

Matt 

• Thanks 1

Great work so far Matt. 

Every time I see one of these Eduard 109’s being built I realise I must get on and try one myself. 

James 

Edited by franky boy
  • Thanks 1

Dennis is doing his best to blow my house down outside, meanwhile I made a small amount of progress tonight. 

I got a wash on the spinner, to highlight the recessed detail. 

IMG_20200216_231658

I also assembled and painted the undercarriage legs. I used a 50/50 mix of Xtracrylic RLM 02 and Tamiya XF-22 RLM Grey for the colour. In hindsight, and after some weathering, it's a little dark to my eye. 

IMG_20200216_231747

I also managed to get some paint on the seams to check them. So far so good so hopefully I'll be able to get started on the painting proper soon. 

Matt 

• Like 2

Hello all, 

After a slow few nights, with limited time or progress, I'm finally in a position to start painting. 

IMG_20200223_224224_052

As can be seen, I'll be using Mr Hobby acrylics for the main colours. 

Thanks 

Matt 

• Like 2

We have a start on the RLM79 topcoat. All sprayed freehand, with just some small areas of masking around the wingroot to protect the yellow cowl. 

There's some slight overspray to clean up, but on the whole, I'm pleased so far. 

IMG_20200303_223844_770

Matt 

Edited by matto21
  • Like 6

The RLM79 is pretty much done and I've given it a coat of gloss to seal things in. I've intentionally left the wingtips so I can safely handle the model while painting. I'll fill them in later. The 79 was subtly post shaded using a lightened mix, but barely visible from a distance and under the gloss. 

IMG_20200305_224713

IMG_20200305_224741

Next up is the white fuselage band and cowling behind the spinner. 

Cheers 

Matt 

• Like 8