Green Attack-Tunnan with rockets! Tarangus 1/72 A29B with extras.

Christer A

Working on my J21R:s and seeing all those rockets I had a thought: didn't Tunnan replace the J21R too?

Oh yes it did!

The story goes like this:

In 1950 J21R arrives to F10-wing which quickly finds out that this aircraft is a bit of a letdown, but starts flying with it anyway. During those 8 months of operation it was decided to transfer the lot of them to F7 wing, which was in the process of converting from a light bomber wing, to a attack wing according to Flygvapnets latest ideas.

What F7 really wanted was a good attacker with long range and high speed, but that aircraft (the Lansen) was still some years off. In the meantime they had to make do with what they were given.

In 1951 they were formally using A21R for all attack missions, and started to devise new tactics for use in the Jet era. Three years later, they received an important upgrade in the form of A29B Tunnan, which was basically the fighter bomber version of J29B.

Higher speeds, more firepower, and more range was all good, but it still was not a match for the requirement "from bases in Västergötland, be able to reach any point in the 2000km Swedish coastline in less than an hour in all weather even during night."

F7 used the A29B between 1954 and 1956 when the Lansen finally arrived and brought about a big change in capabilities. But a Lansen will be a model for another day, for this GB I'll just focus on the Tarangus 1/72 Tunnan instead.

49512506161_a9c1e3021f_o.jpg

An end opening box hides very few parts, which are a lot better photographed here:

What @Paul A H failed to capture in his photos is this

49511994323_b444bbf563_o.jpg

That's quite a hideous flash/mold wear or just bad tooling from whoever Tarangus contracted (my guess is Sword, since it looks like their plastic), so that should be fun to polish away.

Fortunately NMF Tunnan are not shiny but very vey flat and oxidized aluminium panels so I might just get away with it.

I had a quick tape-up yesterday comparing it to it's predecessor

49512505671_02a89ef0e9_o.jpg

49512505586_9ccb1c1094_o.jpg

I've just placed an order for new decals from Moose Republic, some etch, masks and new wheels so once that arrives I can make a proper start!

But in the meantime, I need to start modelling those rocket pylons and rockets, but this will be done in CAD and then 3D printed...

Picture of ground attack rocket armed Tunnan can be found here:

http://www.avrosys.nu/aircraft/Attack/175A29-2.htm

• Like 13

A new tool Tunnan fully armed with CAD designed 3D printed tickets, that’s a bit fancy and way too new school for my usual modelling! This will be yet another great WIP thread to keep an eye on.

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Haha 1

welcome aboard for.........arrr bugga it, I give up trying to keep up with you lot and your multiple builds!!! :D

As long as you're all having fun keep it up! There are now so many awesome variations of these popular aircraft i've completely lost track.

Gosh this one may keep you busy for a wee while, that flash doesn't look that great, a bit of age showing in the moulds.

Well good luck with this one as well, glad to see you're enjoying these builds........even if it's driving me more crazy trying to keep up with them all. Another to look forward to in the gallery!

• Haha 4

Thanks for the cheers guys!

I must admit that the Attack Tunnan is a bit odd, and something that isn't seen that much on the competition tables.

As for the 3D printing....well, I could buy the rockets from Rebell for 50 Sek (that's almost 3,75£) but with a max load of 14 rockets it's a bit expensive. so I rely on my mate and his 3D printer instead.

I made a start on the rocket while commuting on the train back home.

49516735912_9ff3fa10ee_o.jpg

Need to doublecheck on the dimensions and so on, but it's a start atleast.

• Like 7

Here's an interesting project. I didn't know Tarangus has a 72nd scale kit of the Tunnan and your additional rockets will make it even more interesting.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! One should always listen to the voices in ones head, or so I'm told.

This kit is actually very nice, and step above the Heller one, and miles ahead of Matchbox!

Today, while commuting to work I did some more stuff.

I need pylons as well, and the rockets are also hanged in pairs

49523936458_1b5aa7e9ee_o.jpg

I learned from other knowledgeable people that the notches on the fins are there to allow for this, so that the lower one hangs a bit in front of the upper. For sure a support in the front is needed as well otherwise the rockets will probably fall off if anyone even sneezes in their direction.

Also, the pylon itself needs more work...

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Christer A said:

One should always listen to the voices in ones head, or so I'm told.

Hahaha... 

Well, another thread to follow, man, busy months ahead 🙂 

• Like 2

My little box of goodies came yesterday, sorry for the crappy mobile photo

49526892462_d1f0e94965_o.jpg

The decal sheet is beautiful and contained a few surprises.

First, there was only one A29 there, but that's ok.

Second, the other green Tunnans was an eclectic mix of recon S29C, and fighter J39F, both with varying camouflage.

We have plain green, green with dark blue grey (which in turned evolved to the Draken colors) but also Green and black!

Interesting. I might need to do one of those in the future....

The etched sheet is kind of misleading.

It says J29A/B but it does also contain parts for the wing fences and afterburner/exhaust J29F.

I only got it since I was looking for belts for the resin bangseat, but it does contain a lot of interesting parts that will be used.

Time for some troubling paint matching to the prepainted bits, always a fun segment.

• Like 9

On 2/13/2020 at 7:37 AM, Christer A said:

The decal sheet is beautiful and contained a few surprises.

First, there was only one A29 there, but that's ok.

Second, the other green Tunnans was an eclectic mix of recon S29C, and fighter J39F, both with varying camouflage.

We have plain green, green with dark blue grey (which in turned evolved to the Draken colors) but also Green and black!

Interesting. I might need to do one of those in the future....

Sounds as if you'll need a few more kits to get your monies worth out of the decal sheet ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, the storm Dennis came and went quickly. Kind of disappointing really 😇

But I managed to finish the 3D design of the rockets and Pylons

49543012056_713edfc2fe_o.png

Now I'll send this to the printing buddy and we'll see how the next step turns out.

• Like 5

Thanks exdraken!

Well, it's about time that I start with the actual model then.

For a change, it didn't start with the cockpit. No, for this I choose to start with the wheelbays, just because they're in resin!

49553495982_e81e84fa4d_o.jpg

Fancy stuff, with suitable amounts of detail for me.

They had a rather thick pouring stub that needed to be sawed off. The fuselage itself also need some prepping since there are some rather large and mean ejector towers eliminate.

49553254676_e239e575df_o.jpg

Ah well, this is a shortrun kit after all, one cannot expect Heller levels ease of construction😎

Where to place the whells was also a bit of conundrum, since there are almost no indication of where in the fuselage it must go.

49553254636_5874bf4625_o.jpg

I added a few strips of evergreen to lock it in place and the poured on the CA glue..

49553254616_31492d88ec_o.jpg

Yep, that level of detail will be good enough, especially since the landing gear cover is rather large.

Ok, now it's time for the cockpit!

But wait!

I have prepainted etch to use, and as we all know Eduard way of painting and the actual colors they use can be a bit tricky I decided to make some tests

49553495942_5cd066084b_o.jpg

Naturally, none of my paints matched the etch in any way.

The Tunnan cockpit is quite dark green in any case, so I can either choose to skip all the etch, repaint it in the "proper" colors or mix something up.

Naturally, I chose the mix option, 'cause the etch do look good!

49553495892_f2c7dd9721_o.jpg

Equal parts of Mission Models Azure Blue and RAF interior Grey/green seems to be a quite good match though, and it's a simple mix to remember.

I'm not saying that this is a proper Tunnan cockpit color, just that it has a reasonable match to the prepainted stuff.

• Like 8

Good start, wheel bays have nice detail and the cockpit looks promising. Great little 'research' with the cockpit colors.  I have a plasticard sheet where I add colors when I buy new ones, it's good for reference when trying to find specific shade like you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Christer,

When I did my Lansen I mixed RAF Cockpit Grey/Green with a touch of US Intermediate Blue so I guess this is fairly similar! I usually find that when I paint the model the colour never quite matches the DIY Paint Chip I make for some reason - I will have to try painting them over primer to see it that makes a difference.

Cheers

Pete

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys!

Yeah, a coat of primer will definitively have an interesting impact on the color. I hope to be able to proceed with primer shortly.

My mate with the printer was busy as I said:

49553762806_acc94e7bb2_3k.jpg

49553268598_2effa829ad_4k.jpg

There was a problem with the printing of the pylon since the panellines disappeared, but he'll run a few tests to see if it an be improved or I'll just increase the width and depth of the buggers.

Cant wait to splash some primer on them in any case!

• Like 8

those rockets look great!

prob too late now, but to me on my Mac. that colour looks like a very close match to Tamiya XF-23 Lt Blue or Mr Hobby 67 RLM65. As you say Eduard do have interesting colour choices which make colour matching interesting! 

spacer.png

Have a close look in a SAAB cockpit and you find that it isn't just a single green colour. There is a mix of greens in there.

When I built my Lansen I painted the cockpit with two different green plus the etch parts green.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 2