Belfast...

rob85

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

On the plus side. you now have somewhere to display it :mellow:

Hope the damage is not substantial 🤞

Cheers,

Stew

Cheers stew, I needed that this morning! Two foot of water in the basement and the pump is going strong. Unfortunately all of my girlfriends masters work is pretty much destroyed as the stuff I thought was safe was not, and I was unaware that there was 100’s of pounds worth of books were in a cupboard.... to say she was apoplectic would be an understatement

Rob  

• Sad 6

20 hours ago, rob85 said:

Ironically flooding has stopped me starting my ship.... who saw that coming?!

KEQgg72.jpg

now a foot of water in the modelling dungeon 

Rob

No bueno.  Hopefully all your goods were off the floor.

Just got caught up and saw the above post.....that's gut wrenching knowing how much time and money is invested in that stuff.  😣

Edited by helios16v

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

No bueno.  Hopefully all your goods were off the floor.

Just got caught up and saw the above post.....that's gut wrenching knowing how much time and money is invested in that stuff.  😣

Yeah she’s devastated to be honest, she had awards, art work and journals that were all irreplaceable, letter from the queen and an invite from the duke of Edinburgh as she did really will I her fine art masters...... how ever my b25 I’d fine, she however does not see this as an up side

Rob

• Sad 3

Hope you get sorted soon Rob,I'm lucky as I'm in the loft no chance of flooding up there,no I get a flipping Starling flying through the window last summer

sending a load of kits off the shelves!

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of your troubles Rob, been seeing a lot of the floods lately as my In Laws are near Merthyr and the Taff is now lapping at their doorstep! Hope things get sorted very quick, was looking forward to seeing this get built. It was the first ship I ever built and loved the way you get a folded walrus in the hangar, thought that was soo cool!

Bob

• Thanks 1

Hi Rob. Sorry to hear your news and that is such a shame about your girlfriend's stuff. Round our way we were keeping an eye on the online river gauge for the Soar. It wasn't far off breaking it's highest recorded level in our area but luckily it started to drop just before. We were getting ready to move stuff from the ground floor. Hope you get sorted soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles Rob, been seeing a lot of the floods lately as my In Laws are near Merthyr and the Taff is now lapping at their doorstep! Hope things get sorted very quick, was looking forward to seeing this get built. It was the first ship I ever built and loved the way you get a folded walrus in the hangar, thought that was soo cool!

Bob

yeah the Taff has been a real issue! Hope the floods go down soon for them! I will get it built, just once the basement is clear or if I can get the dining room table a bit clear! The walrus was a real high point for me at 34 so god know what kid me would have though (though consistent feedback is that there isn’t much difference)

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Rob. Sorry to hear your news and that is such a shame about your girlfriend's stuff. Round our way we were keeping an eye on the online river gauge for the Soar. It wasn't far off breaking it's highest recorded level in our area but luckily it started to drop just before. We were getting ready to move stuff from the ground floor. Hope you get sorted soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, hope you and good lady Stix dodge any flood waters! I live in Worcester at the edge of a flood plain (should have seen this coming really) and work in Hereford (the wye did break its record at 6.11 meters previous high point was 5.9 in ‘98) so a couple of challenging days at home and work! All part of a full life!

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob. Sorry to hear your news, it must be devistating for everyone affected, did your good lady manage to salvage any of her work and things, can understand her reaction.

Hope you get a respite from the weather soon.

ATB

Jim

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dieselweasel said:

Hi Rob. Sorry to hear your news, it must be devistating for everyone affected, did your good lady manage to salvage any of her work and things, can understand her reaction.

Hope you get a respite from the weather soon.

ATB

Jim

Cheers Jim, yes a little bit was saved and a couple of journals have been dried out. To be fair the impact on us has been tiny, there are a number of people I work with who’s whole houses have been flooded and their content lost. 

I have how just remembered I forgot to get my lawnmower out the shed.... it might be a flymo but it’s definitely not a floatmo.... darn

Rob

• Sad 2

Terrible news about the flood, I hope you can make a good recovery, although the loss of your girlfriend’s work must be a serious blow.  You have my utmost sympathy.

Fires here ( thankfully over now) and floods in the UK it hasn’t been a great start to the year.

AW

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

Terrible news about the flood, I hope you can make a good recovery, although the loss of your girlfriend’s work must be a serious blow.  You have my utmost sympathy.

Fires here ( thankfully over now) and floods in the UK it hasn’t been a great start to the year.

AW

Yeah they must have been horrendous, I hope you were not (!)too badly affected!

5 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

You have my sympathies here Rob. Household damage has no upside.

Definitely not fun but again what I have is tiny in comparison to what other have been dealt, especially yourself with the fire you had?

cheers both really appreciate it

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

Yeah they must have been horrendous, I hope you were too badly affected!

Definitely not fun but again what I have is tiny in comparison to what other have been dealt, especially yourself with the fire you had?

cheers both really appreciate it

Rob

Rob,

Really sorry to hear about you and your girlfriend's troubles, especially as they seem to go far beyond the material losses, bad enough as those are.

I'll hold off starting my Belfast until you're able to start yours. I have plenty to do in the meantime anyway.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rob85 said:

Yeah they must have been horrendous, I hope you were not (!)too badly affected!

Luckily we didn’t get any fires close to where we are, but plenty of smoke haze, thick as fog some days.

AW

• Sad 1

So the water went down which was good, and I cleared the last of my stuff from the basement which means on my next day off I can have a little crack at this! Also good!

whats not good is that the basement was only unflooded (not a word) for a few hours!! Not even a joke, while I was cleaning my stuff the water was coming back up through the floor, as in you could actually see it rising, by the time I’d finished there was about three inches of water.

its now back up to over two foot deep. This flood is actually deeper that the last!

wduGzf0.jpg

I would be very pleased if it went away now.

y5R2kVo.jpg

at least I made a new friend, everyone meet Fred.

Rob

• Like 6

7 hours ago, rob85 said:

whats not good is that the basement was only unflooded (not a word) for a few hours!! Not even a joke, while I was cleaning my stuff the water was coming back up through the floor, as in you could actually see it rising, by the time I’d finished there was about three inches of water.

its now back up to over two foot deep. This flood is actually deeper that the last!

Hey Rob sorry to hear of the flooding issues. Use to have to deal with that every time it rained in my old house. Thats why this one doesn't have a basement. I gave the like for Fred by the way not for the flooding. Now I also thought id let you see the decals and the hurricane. 43O55Sk.jpg

q8RWjbB.jpg

Thanks again for the help with these. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hey Rob sorry to hear of the flooding issues. Use to have to deal with that every time it rained in my old house. Thats why this one doesn't have a basement. I gave the like for Fred by the way not for the flooding. Now I also thought id let you see the decals and the hurricane. 43O55Sk.jpg

q8RWjbB.jpg

Thanks again for the help with these. 

Dennis

Denis shes a beaut! Great work and really glad they arrived safe and sound. Doesn’t look like you had and trouble getting them to lie flat either. Great work.

13 minutes ago, CedB said:

Also sorry to hear about the flood Rob but Fred looks like a great new friend :) 

The kids think so but I have released him into the garden so he’s chilling in my flooded flower bed. Jo’s response ‘oh god won’t he drown!’ No dear he’s an amphibian, if there is one animal pretty much designed to survive a flood that’s it!

Rob

• Like 6

Sorry to hear that you are going down by the stern. Hopefully you'll get bailing soon. I'm in Indonesia where we were trapped in our hotel on Monday due to flood water too deep for the car.

Meanwhile we've got a drought in Pattaya and our neighbours well just ran dry.

Colin 

• Like 1

Unfortunately we are getting another battering from the 3rd storm in as many weeks here in South Wales so I fear it is going to get worse - not much fun!

pont

This was just down the hill from me last night - the trees and branches which have been washed down are making it worse. Fortunately this is a relatively little used footbridge but the road bridge just upstream (right) would not have been much better!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well gosh, the floods over and now the plague is on, I’m now quarantined as my girlfriend and two kids are showing signs of the virus! Fortunately all I have is a cough, the kids have a cough and a bit of a temp, Jo appears to have the worst case but is still no more than a heavy cough and bit of a temp.... whoever’s people need letting go can it be done already before this gets too out of hand!

anyway, last week I started Belfast! Not big but was a start

cUKzgUG.jpg
0fPw0QO.jpg

zNj5z59.jpg

and then today I really got cracking! And as the kids are with me I ‘home schooled’ them in WW2 by letting them build a spitfire (thanks to @JOCKNEY ) and a p-40 (it’s got a shark mouth so the boy picked it)... clever right?

DKE7Rop.jpg

77ecq6x.jpg
TIgHanp.jpg

anyway they are not navy subjects!

belfast, the flash is poor and the kit is warped, I have been gluing everything down in sections but it’s not the best fit! I’m sure it will all come good.

next up as building all the levels and adding detail 

qQvpJTg.jpg

oYhWHX1.jpg

uFqEn3L.jpg

AgnwuOi.jpg

omEhRC7.jpg

had to tap this bit in as it just wouldn’t stay!

ezv99AP.jpg

Flash!

lQPE9sZ.jpg

30uIAAh.jpg

and here’s pretty much what I’m left with.

jnIQ5AC.jpg

dfTXbuz.jpg

gvqbl0m.jpg

still more levels to build and most structures/decks are dry fitted so I can paint it, just need to actually get some paint! Which may be a challenge... just under two weeks left of isolation!

Rob

• Like 10

Nice work on the Belfast and getting the kids modelling!  Hope you can get through your isolation and stay healthy!

AW

• Thanks 1

Hi Rob

Absolutely delighted to finally see the Robettes in action.

The tablecloth seems to have taken a real hiding already, and none you have even started painting yet !

Please continue to include progress on the Spitfire and P40 in this thread and can I ask the moderator of this fine GB to allow these 2 additional builds to be included when the Belfast goes in the gallery.

We need to encourage these youngsters into our hobby.

Apologies Rob for the thread hijack 

cheers Pat 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1